Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music To Commit Suicide By

Started by Silver SurferGhost, February 21, 2004, 04:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It Was Cancer

Ah, what a thread. I'll be jumping on the bandwagon if I may.

Asleep by the Smiths, is the sorry but obvious choice.  I do love them as well. It's a beautiful song, but heartbreaking.  I Know It's Over is quite painful too, but Asleep is very simple and under-stated, which it makes it sound fragile and evocative.

Hibernation by the Manics, b-side, yep, but I find it really sad and resigned. Either that or Small Black Flowers... Everything of the Holy Bible is too angry to depress me, with the exception of This Is Yesterday.  Everyone always accuses The Holy Bible of being depressing, and I think it's bleak, but it makes me too fired up and energetic to be depressed. 4st 7lbs sounds like knives being plunged into guitars.

Aaaannd The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie.  It's cold.

mrpants

Quote from: "It Was Cancer"Aaaannd The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie.  It's cold.

Didn't he write that for Lulu or something?

Or did I just make that up?

I really like Asleep too but the ending spoils it for me when it goes into that xylophone bit.  Ah well.

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "mrpants"
Quote from: "It Was Cancer"Aaaannd The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie.  It's cold.
Didn't he write that for Lulu or something?
She did a cover of it about four years later, which Bowie produced if I remember right.
I can see your point about TMWSTW Cancer, but what about All The Madmen from t'same album?
That's a bit more depressing, and apparently about his real-life brother...