Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks Season 3...

Started by Mister Six, June 06, 2018, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Yeah I got a cheeky torrent of the audiobook, so felt like I should actually buy the book on seeing it today. Fucking tough to listen to though. I was listening to some of it at work instead of podcasts which was an odd experience.

Bhazor

Not the easiest listen to be sure.

Thursday

Finished my rewatch of season 2

CRUCIAL DETAIL I NOTICED

When Coop enters the lodge he's wearing this coat.

But he's not wearing it when he's in the lodge but we never see him take it off.

Cooper's coat is stuck in the lodge!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on November 15, 2018, 01:23:38 PM
Thought this would be an appropriate thread to pop this in. A new short from David Lynch: 'Ant Head'.

https://youtu.be/sDAJIWvTKw8

I just watched that tonight, he's taking the piss a bit with the initial footage of ants crawling around that weird face for what seemed like ages, but once he starts narrating a tale it becomes really quite unsettling, especially if you presume that the woodcutters are the same creatures from The Return.

hedgehog90

I don't know how to feel when I see stuff like this:
Dream 7 (2010)

On the one hand, I enjoy spotting hints of The Return in Lynch's earlier work, on the other hand it leads me to think that a lot of my favourite imagery from The Return was pasted-in and reappropriated, not rooted in the world of Twin Peaks.
The hand and all the tulpa red room imagery just seem a bit less special now...

Twed

You could also look at it as Lynch using stuff embedded deep into his psyche in his works, instead of rattling off a load of random old bollocks as needed.

NoSleep

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 26, 2018, 02:35:37 AM
On the one hand, I enjoy spotting hints of The Return in Lynch's earlier work, on the other hand it leads me to think that a lot of my favourite imagery from The Return was pasted-in and reappropriated, not rooted in the world of Twin Peaks.

The only given is that Twin Peaks is rooted in the world of David Lynch.
I'm sure there is an improvisatory aspect to his work that means there's no precise vision that's being expressed; unexpected stuff comes out along the way. Plots don't necessarily make sense as they evolve, but they harmonise. I think Lynch has recognised that cinema is by nature an odd thing, removed from reality, and this has liberated him from the usual conventions of the artform.

Phil_A

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 26, 2018, 02:35:37 AM
I don't know how to feel when I see stuff like this:
Dream 7 (2010)

The hand and all the tulpa red room imagery just seem a bit less special now...

Because of a fifty second clip??

I hate to tell you this but Lynch has used hanging curtains and zig-zag patterned floors in almost everything he's ever done, the hack fraaaaaaud

Seriously though, he recycles his own stuff all the time, but I don't think it's laziness as such, more in line with what Zappa called "conceptual continuity". E.g, the idea that everything he's ever done over his entire career is part of a single developing piece of work.

NoSleep

Quote from: Phil_A on November 26, 2018, 08:21:59 AM

I hate to tell you this but Lynch has used hanging curtains and zig-zag patterned floors in almost everything he's ever done, the hack fraaaaaaud

Hanging curtains must the be the quickest, most simple way of transforming any background (aside from those paper rolls that filmmakers/photographers use, but they are designed to be neutral not suggestive).

hedgehog90

Quote from: Phil_A on November 26, 2018, 08:21:59 AM
Because of a fifty second clip??

I'm very familiar with the countless recurring motifs throughout his work, I should have made that clear so as not to appear extremely dense.
Part of it is that I assumed a lot of the the new & unfamiliar elements in The Return were a bit more off-the-cuff and fresher than they perhaps were, a clip like that dispels that notion a little bit.
There's also the fact that every single element of it was re-used in The Return in quite an exact way.
Imagine if the clip from 2010 was a ball emerging from a sparkling essence, going through a massive horn contraption and reappearing on a screen. Wouldn't it affect the way you saw the sequence in The Return?
On a similar note, the Rabbits sequences in Inland Empire seemed a lot less weird and interesting when I realised they were directly lifted from a 2002 web-series.

Mister Six

EDIT: Wrote this before you replied, hedgehog.

The Return is basically composed of Lynch's recurring themes, thoughts and preoccupations. Like  the stuff about doubles, which IIRC only just started  to emerge with the original Twin Peaks but was central to Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. Those films - along with Lost Highway - also featured the idea of a character who becomes someone else, which of course turns up at the end of The Return, with Coop and Diane travelling to ???

There are even echoes in things like the theatre from The Giant's home being the same as the one in Mulholland Drive.

I suspect Lynch saw this as his last foray into cinema, and basically used it as a way to bring together everything that had been bubbling away in his head for the past couple of decades, as well as pay tribute (if that's the right phrase, which it isn't) to his earlier works.

To me, at least, it doesn't devalue The Return. If anything it adds to its importance as possibly the final word on Lynch's filmic career.

drdad

Lynch's script for Ronnie Rocket (here: http://www.lynchnet.com/rrscript.html ) also shares some themes with The Return. The character of Ronnie reminds me of Dougie/Coop.

Thursday

There's no way to get the deleted scenes from Fire Walk With Me outside of the entire mystery set is there? My disc is fucked because of that case not really holding the discs in place well.

Can probably get the whole set for not much more than the film anyway now, but just making sure.

grassbath

Noticing quite a few Kubrick overtones on my rewatch. The Episode 8/2001 stargate sequence stuff probably should have been obvious to me the first time, but I was also struck by the feel in the Fireman's gaff of the ballroom in the Overlook Hotel. Just as the photo at the end of the Shining complicates the time of the film with a kind of hauntology, I somehow get the sense that before the atom bomb was detonated in New Mexico, Twin Peaks - the universe, the creation, not the fictional town - did not exist. The Fireman and Senorita Dido see it unfold as a construct in a world and setting very reminiscent of early cinema.

Outside of that episode, the very upsetting scene of Richard Horne breaking into his grandmother's, with the placid classical music juxtaposed with physical violence, plus the camerawork, really reminded me of A Clockwork Orange.

grassbath

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 26, 2018, 12:46:32 PM
On a similar note, the Rabbits sequences in Inland Empire seemed a lot less weird and interesting when I realised they were directly lifted from a 2002 web-series.

I really like that they're lifted from the web series. It fits with the intentionally digital vibe of Inland Empire - a world that feels grimier and lower quality somehow for the more open-ended and sprawling it is.

grassbath

Sorry for the triple post, but I finished my rewatch yesterday and wanted to write out some thoughts and that. It's an immensely complex piece of work, let alone in the context of the whole Twin Peaks universe. I had previously not really thought of Lynch as a philosophical filmmaker per se - more just a surrealist working in mysteries and puzzles, some of which are solvable, some unsolvable. But the lapsarian world of the Return feels like an enormous meta-statement commenting on human nature, morality, memory, history, spirituality, technology, entertainment. Previous attempts to put him in the political-theoretical frame ('Eraserhead is about the masculine fear of childbirth,' 'Mulholland Drive is a critique of the modern film industry' etc), while not illegitimate, have always felt a bit trivial. Whereas I can detect a message or 'agenda' of sorts here, in a way that I can't ascribe to anything else he's done.

One thing that really struck/moved me the more episodes I watched was the camera whirling over the floor of the Lodge in the opening credits sequence. Something about that paired with the music - being whisked away from familiarity, giddy, disorienting, romantic.

My personal favourite moment in the entire series though, which caught me off guard, was the girl tearing up in the Roadhouse when James is playing 'Just You.' Catching herself, laughing with her friends, unable to believe she's crying at this cheesy song, but then still not being able to hold it in. In a series which seems to resolutely declare that the kids are not alright, here Lynch/Frost seem to suggest the opposite - there is still love and feeling and memory wherever there are people and music. Generally I got a lot more out of these little soap opera moments with unnamed young characters just watching the band, gossiping and shooting the shit at the end of an episode.

Re: the much debated ending, I think it's intended to be totally ambiguous as to whether Coop defeated Judy or not. Either side could argue with tons of evidence and not come to a conclusion. The only thing that errs me on the negative side is the overwhelmingly gloomy feel of the final episode. 'The World Spins' at the end of episode 17 had an unbearable sadness to it, like a tear shed in anticipation of the final act. 'Dark Space Low' as a title for the end credits music also doesn't seem to bode well.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: grassbath on November 29, 2018, 10:12:27 PM
unable to believe she's crying at this cheesy song, but then still not being able to hold it in.

These moments really sum the series up for me. The moments of empathy, earnestness and compassion are so heightened and almost become ridiculous, but they're beautiful at the same time. When Sarah Palmer cries in the original pilot I wanted to cry too, even though it's the silliest melodramatic soap opera crying. The 'it is happening again' scene in the roadhouse, it's just devestating and none of the characters or even the viewer can understand what's going on. Even the absolutely bizarre crowd reaction shots when Carl Rodd is comforting the mother only add to the sense of sadness and confusion.

I always wonder what Lynch is thinking when he does that kind of stuff. Does he know it straddles a line of hilarity and heartbreak? He must do, but i can only imagine him being earnest about it.

Thursday

I've been listening to Secret History Audiobook at work, which I'm enjoying a lot more 2nd time through. (I think I first time, I'd misunderstood what I was getting and I was expecting it to be more like The Final Dossier)

Had to suddenly pause and gather myself slightly at the mention of Pete shielding Audrey from the blast, so I didn't suddenly start tearing up at work.

Have to say, it really feels like a lot of the book feels very much like a preface to episode 8, which is interesting since it's what people think of the most Lynchian, and yet Frost is essentially hinting at all the same themes throughout the book.

Twed

Twin Peaks is just spooky Due South

sevendaughters

Quote from: Twed on January 04, 2019, 05:32:29 PM
Twin Peaks is just spooky Due South

err Due South has actual ghosts

PlanktonSideburns

X files is just spooky nypd blue

Avengers is just more flexible thunderbirds

Kingdom hospital - creepy ER

I've not really thought this through

BlodwynPig

Ghostwatch - sinister Rentaghost

Twed

Would Twin Peaks have been better if Dale had a clever wolf?

Mister Six

Due South is about a Canadian cop going to the US. Twin Peaks has American cops going to Canada.

LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE, YOU DUNCE.

Twed

THAT'S WHAT'S SO SPOOKY ABOUT IT

BlodwynPig

Tammy has a new album out featuring a song called "Blue Rose" (featured on last year's EP) - she's touring UK this week if you are in Glasgow, Manchester or London, might be worth checking her out

https://chrystabell.com

A great album of woozy alternative pop and ethereal ballads.

Twed

hedgehog90

Cheers Blods, will check it out.

Twed

Mister Six

Aged 72, mind you. That's a good innings. And she still looked stunning in The Return, when she must have been, what, 68?