Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks Season 3...

Started by Mister Six, June 06, 2018, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Mister Six on November 26, 2018, 01:02:42 PM
The Return is basically composed of Lynch's recurring themes, thoughts and preoccupations. Like  the stuff about doubles, which IIRC only just started  to emerge with the original Twin Peaks but was central to Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. Those films - along with Lost Highway - also featured the idea of a character who becomes someone else, which of course turns up at the end of The Return, with Coop and Diane travelling to ???

I love how he fractures a character into multiple versions. A recurring theme in most of his works and I really enjoy the part in "Invitation to Love", which acknowledges the twins/same actor thing as a trope, which he then joins in with by introducing Sheryl Lee as lookalike cousin Maddie Palmer. Series one had a perfect mix of (affectionate) soap pastiche, humour and weirdnes. Even the the strong first half of series two didn't quite have that balance and The Return, while good, was more "David Lynch film" than Twin Peaks.

Phil_A

Just saw this, obviously not much to go on yet but it does seem something is forming in the David Lynch ideas vat.

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/david-lynch-laura-dern-bald-new-project/

Sin Agog

David Lynch's Alien 3 remake is finally coming together.

Laura Dern's real-life doppleganger is on Instagram, in case David Lynch wants to save money on special effects.

https://www.instagram.com/ilooklikelauradern1/?hl=en

BlodwynPig

Shaky

Peggy Lipton has just died, which is very sad. The TP old guard are starting to fall away pretty quickly now.

mjwilson

David Lynch season at HOME Manchester this summer has parts 1, 2 and 8 of season 3 playing (in addition to all his films).

Sin Agog

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 14, 2019, 07:24:07 PM
I know loadsa people hate Russell Brand (and loadsa people don't really know why they hate him, other than because of some, in my opinion, misinformed first impression), but he's just done a podcast with David Lynch.  Only got a clip from it here of Lynch talking about some wild macro-macro shit involving Yogi Bear or something, but the full thing should be on youtube in a few days: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOz2n0v-AcA

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Mister Six on May 12, 2019, 06:15:37 AM
Aged 72, mind you. That's a good innings. And she still looked stunning in The Return, when she must have been, what, 68?

Now in my early 40s, 72 doesn't sound like the good innings it used to.

Twed

Think about it in terms of "I have about three times the length of time since I signed up to CaB before I die".

mjwilson

"If there's another season of Twin Peaks in 25 years, it's touch and go whether I'd be around to see it."

How's that?

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Can I just reiterate my own TP theory - the annoying guy who is in jail at the police station at the end is someone else who came out of the Lodge via an electrical junction.

Note:

1. The guy repeats whatever he hears, just like Cooper did in Vegas. Maybe that's how he got beaten up, he isn't actually drunk?
2. He only behaves differently when he seems uncomfortable once the confrontation scene starts, which is a change of mood.
3. We know from the start of the series that the police station jail holds people who have weird origins and vanish into thin air.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 24, 2018, 01:35:39 PM
Almost a year since first watching The Return it still occupies a large presence in my general thoughts and daydreams.
Every now and then I'll come across something that seems to describes or reminds me of elements from Twin Peaks, and the excitement I get from it is wonderful.

The other day I started reading the the first book of Confessions by St Augustine of Hippo, a Numidian theologian and philosopher from the 4th century (a wild departure from my usual reading habits).
The actual book I found pretty impenetrable (I haven't returned to it since), but the foreword which biographed the author was fascinating.
Not least due to the subject's involvement, before becoming a Christian, with a theology that until then I'd never come across called Manichaeism.
The description of this religion was so evocative of Twin Peaks lore that I would have fallen off my chair had I not been lying on a bed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism

I know it's not all that different to broader, more familiar notions of Gnosticism (of which I only have the vaguest understanding of). Abstract notions of light and darkness and duologies that seem to permeate our existence* were nothing new to me either, but the way it was written about in this book - connecting this ancient, dead philosophy with this weird little TV show that I continue to be obsessed by - was really thrilling.

* It almost appears that they had an intuition for the supposed nature of matter and anti-matter, long before modern-science or any basis of understanding, which is also fascinating to me.

Gnosticism was the thing for Philip K.Dick's later madness.

grassbath

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on May 26, 2019, 10:44:46 AM
Can I just reiterate my own TP theory - the annoying guy who is in jail at the police station at the end is someone else who came out of the Lodge via an electrical junction.

Note:

1. The guy repeats whatever he hears, just like Cooper did in Vegas. Maybe that's how he got beaten up, he isn't actually drunk?
2. He only behaves differently when he seems uncomfortable once the confrontation scene starts, which is a change of mood.
3. We know from the start of the series that the police station jail holds people who have weird origins and vanish into thin air.

This theory proposes the same - that there are basically more Lodge spirits drifting about in the world of The Return than people realise. While not the best written, it's a pretty comprehensive and convincing analysis of what's going on in the series overall.

mothman

Sometimes it feels like Lynch gave us, not a sequel to the two seasons we got, but to the full series we should have had. Or that it's him saying, "Yeah? You feel like you need some sort of prequel? Well, I gave you one in 1992 and most people hated it."

I've got the two books but haven't had time to read them yet. Maybe on holiday this year...

grassbath

^Agreed. Hence the TV-smashing at the beginning of FWWM. We're not in Kansas anymore, etc.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: grassbath on May 26, 2019, 12:57:58 PM
This theory proposes the same - that there are basically more Lodge spirits drifting about in the world of The Return than people realise. While not the best written, it's a pretty comprehensive and convincing analysis of what's going on in the series overall.

That's actually a very good dissection, probably the most convincing I've read, grounded as it is, almost entirely in what we see and hear. Like all TP3 theories though, it comes apart at episode 18. I was with the author up until his contention that Coop and Carrie are destined to act in opposition to Judy for eternity. My conclusion is more along the lines that Carrie screamed, Judy got her garmonbozia and leaves immediately, leaving Cooper stranded forever out of time.

BlodwynPig

Who's Judy? Did you all agree ?

grassbath

A monkey spoke Judy's name.

sevendaughters

My own personal view on the ending was - and forgive me if this is unnuanced, has been heard before, or is implausible - that events in the original TP world was now resolved - a rarity - and we moved into another iteration of where Black Lodge spirits exist, one of thousands perhaps, and that as they inhabit the same basic energy emanating from the source, it creates a kind of psychosis for the Sisyphean figure of "Dale Cooper" permanently having to arrest a situation that has spun out of all control.

Mister Six

Quote from: grassbath on May 26, 2019, 12:57:58 PM

A good read, but:

QuoteClinical psychologist Jordan B Peterson, quoting Russian writer Alexandr Solzhenitsyn, states "the line between good and evil runs down every human's heart."

holyzombiejesus

I have had this on my shelf for fucking ages now and still haven't watched it, despite being really excited to hear about its return. I might start it tomorrow night; do I need to rewatch the other series first?

depending on how much you remember, probably best to rewatch the final episode of the 2nd series and also 'Fire Walk With Me'

hedgehog90

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 27, 2019, 11:49:10 PM
I have had this on my shelf for fucking ages now and still haven't watched it, despite being really excited to hear about its return. I might start it tomorrow night; do I need to rewatch the other series first?

Give the first 2 series and film a quick binge before diving into The Return.
It's not essential to understanding the plot but it really adds to the experience IMO.
And when you finally reach The Return, those first 2 episodes are like a nice refreshing meal and a pint after a day of hiking. It is glorious.
Then slow it right down, savour each episode for all its worth. Let each episode stew in your mind a bit before continuing onto the next. Try to spread it out across a month.
That's my advice!

Mister Six

What hedgehog90 said - watch the first two seasons (the second season really does get quite impressively shit all of a sudden but picks up towards the end), then Fire Walk With Me, then watch The Return one episode at a time after watching the first two back-to-back. If you can resist, try to watch one a week. Let it fill up your imagination; wallow in its mysteries; contrive explanations and theories for what you've experienced. Luxuriate in it. You'll only have one chance to see it for the first time.

And if you feel like it, let us know what you think on here. Would love to relive it through your eyes.

If you've seen Series 1 & 2 and FWWM in the past, I don't think there's any need to rewatch them. The continuity comes from our emotional investiture in the characters rather than specific plot points really.

mothman

I intended a rewatch before it began but never got round to it. There'll be a few bits you'll have forgotten but it doesn't matter.

NoSleep

There's some bits you'll be reminded of that were best forgotten.

garbed_attic

Quote from: NoSleep on May 28, 2019, 09:45:01 AM
There's some bits you'll be reminded of that were best forgotten.

LEAVE WALLY BRANDO ALONE! ;_;