Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks Season 3...

Started by Mister Six, June 06, 2018, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 30, 2019, 09:40:40 PM
As an aside, what was the Oliver Stone directed Twin Peaks-y tosh that BBC2 showed, I think, in the TP slot once it had finished?

Wild Palms. Based on a comic I never got around to reading.

mjwilson

Phil_A

Wild Palms.

Edit: Tsk, new page buffoon!

Shaky

Yeah, I remember being intrigued by Wild Palms then rapidly losing interest. Interesting that both shows now share a Belushi.

Rev+

Quote from: Shaky on May 29, 2019, 11:44:38 PM
I think this is pretty spot-on but in regards to Episode 8, it feels to me like Lynch is finally unleashing something he's been sitting on for a long time.

Oh the execution is all Lynch, and there's loads of stuff that he uses and returns to.  I just think that Frost's contribution is often assumed to be chaperone rather than as a creative force, when the guy's full of crazy ideas.

We're keeping spoilers to a minimum as we have new travellers, but the things that episode 8 imply are so much more in Frost's wheelhouse.  There's no way of knowing exactly who contributed what, but Lynch has always been pretty immediate.  Deeper mythology just isn't really his thing, it's about what happened today.

Rev+

Wild Palms was absolute toss.  It's the future so we - wear our collars up, that'll do.  Actually had the balls to end the first episode with a character dying and croaking out 'this...  is how it begins' or something similar.

A series made by people looking at the hole rather than the doughnut. 

BlodwynPig

QDRPHNC

Rev+

Twin Peaks had a horse appear in a living room.  Wild palms had a rhino appear in a drained swimming pool because that's one better.

Wild Palms.

Wayward Pines.

Shaky

Just read an interview with WP (not TP) creator Bruce Wagner from a few years ago and he claimed he hadn't seen Twin Peaks at the time! Not entirely sure I believe him but haven't seen a whole episode since it came out.

Quote from: Rev+ on May 31, 2019, 12:18:18 AM
We're keeping spoilers to a minimum as we have new travellers, but the things that episode 8 imply are so much more in Frost's wheelhouse.  There's no way of knowing exactly who contributed what, but Lynch has always been pretty immediate.  Deeper mythology just isn't really his thing, it's about what happened today.

One of the striking things about episode 8 was how much of the themes and imagery had been set up by Frost in The Secret History of Twin Peaks book. That episode is often thought of as pure Lynch but there's probably a lot more Frost in there than people tend to think

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Rev+ on May 31, 2019, 03:25:35 AM
Twin Peaks had a horse appear in a living room.  Wild palms had a rhino appear in a drained swimming pool because that's one better.

Wild Palms.

Wayward Pines.

"He's dead. Wrapped in bin bags"

Thursday

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 31, 2019, 01:22:07 PM
One of the striking things about episode 8 was how much of the themes and imagery had been set up by Frost in The Secret History of Twin Peaks book. That episode is often thought of as pure Lynch but there's probably a lot more Frost in there than people tend to think

Definitely, it was quite surprising when I went to secret history after thinking, like most idiots, that it was very much all Lynch for that one.

Shaky

Quote from: Mister Six on June 03, 2019, 11:31:04 PM
Lynch is being awarded an honourary Oscar: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-academy-governors-awards-geena-davis-david-lynch-20190603-story.html

I know it's a load of old tosh as accolades go but that's brilliant news. I suspect Lynch will be chuffed to bits.

mjwilson

Give him Ron Howard's Oscar you cowards.

petril

Quote from: Rev+ on May 31, 2019, 12:22:18 AM
Wild Palms was absolute toss.  It's the future so we - wear our collars up, that'll do.

yeah, but it was set in 2007. And in 2007, collars up was a bit of a thing. got that one right.

mjwilson

Guardian does a Twin Peaks interview, actually starts the article "But how does he get his ideas?"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/30/david-lynch-interview-manchester-international-festival

Still we do at least get this gem:
One theory proposed that if you play the last two episodes in tandem, hidden meanings are revealed.
Bullshit.

NoSleep

...followed immediately by:

QuoteIt's good to get your confirmation on that. But aren't you flattered when people seek out deeper meanings in your work?

Sure. If there's 100 people in the audience, you're going to get 100 different interpretations, especially when things get abstract. It's beautiful. Everybody's a detective and whatever they come up with is valid in my mind.

...so not bullshit?

gatchamandave

Wild Palms. Damn, sorry to have made a redundant post. I tried it a few months ago. The dvd image quality was atrocious, looked to have been a straight conversion from an NTSC tape, the cast was good but the characters were poorly conceived and indeed there were few signs that it was futuristic. Not worth tracking down and paying for

Shaky

Quote from: NoSleep on June 30, 2019, 10:28:16 AM
...followed immediately by:

...so not bullshit?

Something being "valid" in his mind doesn't mean that's what he personally intended, though. Sounds to me like he's just being magnanimous about different interpretations while having his own intentions.

NoSleep

I think it's less magnanimousness and more that it is open to interpretation because of the process by which it is created, which is very open; sometimes ideas will resonate together happily, rather than plough ahead to a conclusion. I'm not even sure Lynch understands it in every detail as it unfolds (cue somebody to comment, "but... Frost," except TP is markedly "Lynchian" in this respect).

Whilst the syncing may not have been intentional it points to a possible use of timing markers to plan an episode. Some happy coincidences make some interesting juxtapositions between the plots which are just as valid interpretations as some of the other attempts to "make sense" of the series.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: gatchamandave on June 30, 2019, 11:01:59 AM
Wild Palms. Damn, sorry to have made a redundant post. I tried it a few months ago. The dvd image quality was atrocious, looked to have been a straight conversion from an NTSC tape, the cast was good but the characters were poorly conceived and indeed there were few signs that it was futuristic. Not worth tracking down and paying for

Blu-ray release coming up in the US: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25314

mjwilson

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on June 30, 2019, 04:30:02 PM
Blu-ray release coming up in the US: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25314

Yeah but is it made from a transfer from the original negative? [1]

[1] this is a reference to a Kino's upcoming Lost Highway Blu Ray which Lynch kind of took a dump all over and has caused a bit of controversy

Lost Oliver

QDRPHNC

Quote from: NoSleep on June 30, 2019, 12:38:09 PM
I think it's less magnanimousness and more that it is open to interpretation because of the process by which it is created, which is very open; sometimes ideas will resonate together happily, rather than plough ahead to a conclusion. I'm not even sure Lynch understands it in every detail as it unfolds (cue somebody to comment, "but... Frost," except TP is markedly "Lynchian" in this respect).

Whilst the syncing may not have been intentional it points to a possible use of timing markers to plan an episode. Some happy coincidences make some interesting juxtapositions between the plots which are just as valid interpretations as some of the other attempts to "make sense" of the series.

Where'd the goalposts go?

Oh, they're way over there.

NoSleep

But it isn't a sport with goals and demarcation lines, is it?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: NoSleep on July 05, 2019, 02:42:52 PM
But it isn't a sport with goals and demarcation lines, is it?

Mate.

NoSleep

Could have said the same about your own typically contrarian post. I realise it's your task to disagree with absolutely anything I say.