Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks Season 3...

Started by Mister Six, June 06, 2018, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on June 15, 2018, 05:53:15 AM
Maybe Good Cooper is in the car tailing them during the drive back to TP and gets there ahead of them? Or he got to Laura/Carrie ahead of Bad Cooper and had something to do with shooting the guy in her living room.

Oooh, that's good!!

colacentral

Back when the show was airing I remember we had a discussion about names - names are very important to this season in particular (see all the pointed name dropping in those various roadhouse scenes).

Richard was one that I couldn't get over - it can't be a coincidence that the doppelganger's son is named Richard, and Cooper becomes a character called Richard. You can go a couple of ways with it though: does Richard (Dick) mean Cooper in 18 is the offspring of the Bad Cooper, i.e. a product or "act" of the Bad Cooper as you say? Or is it an indication that the Richard is only half Bad Cooper? Or are Lynch & Frost using names as red herrings as they did in the original series (Mike & Bobby etc), just as they may be with numbers and that infamous flashing plane windows scene?

colacentral

By the way, I was a bit reluctant to post this here but fuck it: I started making Twin Peaks videos for YouTube, mainly as a record of some of the conclusions I came to as I felt sure I'd forget all the small details after a while.

https://youtu.be/RnlxFAVt7sQ

I've done two. Intended to do more but just been really lazy. Much of it is stuff I wrote about here.

hedgehog90

Your first video gets suggested to me all the time on YouTube.
I'll make an effort to watch it now :)

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I now think Good Coop just goes straight back to Twin Peaks from the motel, to supervise the finale (he's the unseen figure giving answers from within the house). The tailing was by Good Diane, who radioed back in.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Quote from: colacentral on June 15, 2018, 11:17:16 AM
By the way, I was a bit reluctant to post this here but fuck it: I started making Twin Peaks videos for YouTube

They were great!  Do make more if you have the time.  Obviously you're completely WRONG about loads of things that I'll not be specific about, but there will never be any agreement, and it's nice to roll around theories.

colacentral

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on June 15, 2018, 11:24:43 PM
They were great!  Do make more if you have the time.  Obviously you're completely WRONG about loads of things that I'll not be specific about, but there will never be any agreement, and it's nice to roll around theories.

Hah, that's fine if you don't agree, I don't mind. I get loads of shirty comments from absolute tossers on youtube. The worst are the ones who say "Lynch was just making it all up as he went along!" Nothing you can say to those donuts.

As I try to stress all the time, it's just a bit of a fun and no one knows anything for certain; I'm always open to hearing opposing theories. I only felt compelled to make those videos as I wasn't seeing the stuff discussed anywhere else.

Twed

David Lynch: Trump Could Be "One Of The Greatest Presidents In History"

One of those things where you have to hope it meant something different in context. I'm clinging to "he means history could mistakenly record him as great".

Old Nehamkin

Here's the quote in context, for convenience's sake:

QuotePolitically, meanwhile, Lynch is all over the map. He voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic primary and thinks – he's not sure – he voted Libertarian in the presidential election. "I am not really a political person, but I really like the freedom to do what you want to do," says the persecuted Californian smoker.

He is undecided about Donald Trump. "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history because he has disrupted the thing so much. No one is able to counter this guy in an intelligent way." While Trump may not be doing a good job himself, Lynch thinks, he is opening up a space where other outsiders might. "Our so-called leaders can't take the country forward, can't get anything done. Like children, they are. Trump has shown all this."

Twed

Just to clarify, by "in context" I mean in the context of the rest of his own words.

"He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history because he has disrupted the thing so much" on its own is troubling, but

"Trump is an extremely troubling figure and my fear is that he will be given undue credit for being so destructive. He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history because he has disrupted the thing so much" means something else entirely.

In reality, I think it's just that Lynch really doesn't think about it too much and exists outside of The Great War of Online (2016-????).

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: colacentral on June 15, 2018, 11:17:16 AM
By the way, I was a bit reluctant to post this here but fuck it: I started making Twin Peaks videos for YouTube, mainly as a record of some of the conclusions I came to as I felt sure I'd forget all the small details after a while.

https://youtu.be/RnlxFAVt7sQ

I've done two. Intended to do more but just been really lazy. Much of it is stuff I wrote about here.

Great vids. Keep up the good work.

Mister Six

Oh god, Kyle Maclachlan looks like he's doing a Trump impression there.

hedgehog90

Intercourse between two worlds...

QuoteTrump seized on the comment by the reclusive director of Blue Velvet, Eraserhead and Twin Peaks during a typically freewheeling, hour-long speech that ranged from North Korea and space rockets to facelifts and fake hair, yet made no mention of family separations at the southern border.

A Guardian article published on Saturday noted that Lynch, who voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic primary, is undecided about Trump. "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history because he has disrupted the thing so much," he told the paper. "No one is able to counter this guy in an intelligent way."

The article added that Lynch thinks while Trump may not be doing a good job himself, he is opening up a space where other outsiders might. "Our so-called leaders can't take the country forward, can't get anything done. Like children, they are. Trump has shown all this."

The interview gained coverage in various media outlets including the rightwing Breitbart News, formerly headed by Steve Bannon, one-time chief strategist at the White House. Its summary glided past the caveats about Lynch's views on Trump's job performance. It was this version that caught the eye of the president, who tweeted a link to it on Monday.

Then, at a rally in support of South Carolina governor Henry McMaster ahead of a runoff election, Trump claimed that "plenty" of people in Hollywood voted for him. Standing at the podium, reading from a print out of the article in his left hand, he first mixed up the names, saying: "'David Lynch could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history.'"

The crowd cheered anyway. Trump added: "Of course, there goes his career, right, in Hollywood."

He then repeated for good measure from the Breitbart article: "Veteran film maker David Lynch believes President Donald Trump could be remembered as one of the greatest presidents in American history because of the way he has shaken up the political establishment." Trump added with his own flourish: "And because of what I've done."

Trump then skipped a paragraph that referenced the Guardian, Sanders and Lynch's support for support Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson in the presidential election, continuing: "'However, he now appears to believe because he was a Democrat or is a Democrat or something, he actually voted for Obama, ha ha, and here it says he voted for Bernie Sanders, OK? But he now says, however, 'he now appears to believe that Trump may have been the right choice,' after all."

After a digression, Trump rounded off the anecdote by saying: "There's David Lynch. Enjoy it because his career in Hollywood is officially over."

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/26/trump-david-lynch-career-over-praise-presidency

Mister Six

To be fair, Lynch's career in Hollywood has been over since 1990's Wild at Heart. Everything since then has been largely produced by French companies. Maybe you could say 1999's The Straight Story, as that had Disney among the six or so production companies. That's still 20 years ago!

The whole 'Trump namedropping David Lynch' thing has broken my brain for good, I think. We live inside a dream

Sgt. Duckie

Waiting for Mark Frost's reaction, given that he spends a lot of his time re-tweeting anti-Trump articles.

Namtab

Lynch comes across as a bit of a knob in recent interviews, kinda sneering at stay at home Dads and saying dumb stuff about not believing in second hand smoke. I still love his work, but the man has some pretty silly views.

rue the polywhirl

Can't find anything with him sneering at stay-at-home dads and anyway if so probably necessary in case they get too cocky. Super Dads = Super Egos.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on June 26, 2018, 07:10:20 PM
Can't find anything with him sneering at stay-at-home dads and anyway if so probably necessary in case they get too cocky. Super Dads = Super Egos.

Here's a quote from a recent interview with Vulture: http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/david-lynch-in-conversation.html

QuoteHow is it being a father to a 5-year-old at 72?

See, I'm not — I'm not the greatest parent.

In what sense?

I love all my children and we get along great, but in the early years, before you can have a relationship of talking to them, it's tough. And I would get divorced and stuff — I've got four kids and three divorces. The work is the main thing, and I know I've caused suffering because of that. But at the same time I have huge love for the kids. It's a tricky business, because nowadays — when I was growing up, for instance, I was on a Little League baseball team and my parentsLynch's father Donald was a research scientist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture and his mother, Edwina, was an English language tutor. The Lynch family, which also included David's sister Martha and brother John, moved around a fair bit, spending time in Idaho, Washington, and Virginia.  never came to the games. I wouldn't want 'em to come to the games. I didn't want my parents to go to my high-school graduation. I wanted them to stay away.

You needed separation?

I had different worlds! Nowadays parents are involved with every single thing and there's stay-at-home dads. It seems strange but that's how things have changed.

Is it strange because it's different from what you know or because you think it's counterproductive?

Emily, my wife, sends me pictures if she's at the park and sees a dad there. She'll say, "Look, a dad is here" and I'll say, "That's a homeless man." But I shouldn't make fun. It's beautiful for that man's kid that he's there. Everybody's got their own way.

I don't find it problematic given the last part of the quote, but the second hand smoking thing is rather a stupid thing to say.

Shaky

Good news! Lynch doesn't like Trump after all (I thought that was inferable from his previous comments but he spells it out this time):

newbridge

This is such a ridiculous non-story. The original interview clearly specified that Lynch thinks Trump is doing a shit job, but he could end up being "great" because he exposes how the entire system is shit.

Howj Begg

https://twitter.com/robbiereviews/status/1011594673620750341

QuoteRobbie Collin
@robbiereviews

We may never understand the appeal to David Lynch of a presidency that, using kitsch and dream logic, has transformed ordinary American life into a phantasmagorical hellscape

5:58 AM - 26 Jun 2018

Ja'moke

Quote from: newbridge on June 27, 2018, 01:05:42 AM
This is such a ridiculous non-story. The original interview clearly specified that Lynch thinks Trump is doing a shit job, but he could end up being "great" because he exposes how the entire system is shit.

Yeah, it was clear what he meant in the original interview, but websites just cherry pick and change the context and then act all confused. It's happening more and more often.

phantom_power

Quote from: newbridge on June 27, 2018, 01:05:42 AM

I am not sure that is what he meant. I think he meant that he had the capacity to be great because he wasn't playing by the rules that all previous presidents have played by. He is currently using that freedom to wreak chaos and misery but if he set his sights on goodness he could do the opposite. That was my reading of his clarification at least

Shaky

Look further up the thread...

Custard

Sorry, I tend to read the board on't phone, so I don't see any posted pics!

Ja'moke

Lynch was spotted at Netflix HQ this week: https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/status/1012330640623058944

Would love Netflix to fund a new Lynch film.

Custard