Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:53:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks Season 3...

Started by Mister Six, June 06, 2018, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on October 14, 2019, 09:54:04 PM
Laura still goes missing, and the events of the series more or less play out but with that difference.

The show is now called Peak.

Or Peak Practice focusing on the medical shenanigans going on in the town of Peak. In one world...

NoSleep

Quote from: Mister Six on October 14, 2019, 09:54:04 PM
Laura still goes missing, and the events of the series more or less play out but with that difference.

It depends how Laura's death is prevented. It may require that she doesn't go missing, which could mean that Ronette isn't pulled into the mix either.

NoSleep

It's possible that preventing her death would require that she no longer exists. In episode 8 it looked like she was sent (to Twin Peaks) as a reaction to BOB, who possesses her father, who then kills her. And taking BOB out of the formula would also eliminate the necessity for Laura.

BlodwynPig

Season 4 (spoilers):

We cut to a scene showing a younger NoSleep in converse staring at a blank portable tv in a squalid London flat. The year is 1989. He shouts to his girlfriend "Hurry Up, this new series, Booker, is starting!"

She replies "I can't, I've got myself tangled up in the shower curtain"

Fade to black.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 15, 2019, 07:13:53 AM
I wonder if Lynch even considers his daughter's Diary Of Laura Palmer canon?

Nothing in the show has actually referenced it, and IIRC some of the dates are contradicted by S2 and FWWM.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 15, 2019, 03:39:08 PM
Nothing in the show has actually referenced it, and IIRC some of the dates are contradicted by S2 and FWWM.

The mystery deepens...

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Pretty sure Jennifer Lynch has said her dad's never read The Secret Diary.

Rev+

Quote from: NoSleep on October 15, 2019, 07:22:48 AM
It depends how Laura's death is prevented. It may require that she doesn't go missing, which could mean that Ronette isn't pulled into the mix either.

There's definitely something to that, you know.  Ronette's actress plays 'American Girl' rather than Ronette, shuffled away in mauve world.  A remnant of a timeline that no longer happens?

Lost Oliver

How likely do we think that this guy is on to something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDrH2cY9QQ

^ 12 minute fan theory video that blew my mind.

And as for part 2... well. I don't think I can be arsed to sit through three hours but who knows though the first ten minutes was very worrying.

BlodwynPig

Imagine TP being soundtracked by Benny Hill music. There would be none of these fan theory videos.

NoSleep

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 16, 2019, 08:26:44 AM
Imagine TP being soundtracked by Benny Hill music.

Like your posts?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on October 16, 2019, 08:30:20 AM
Like your posts?

*cookandbombd does not allow embedded wav files*

*wizard of oz, dark side of the moon, twin peaks, sunset boulevard*

Rev+

Quote from: Lost Oliver on October 16, 2019, 08:06:35 AM
How likely do we think that this guy is on to something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDrH2cY9QQ

^ 12 minute fan theory video that blew my mind.

And as for part 2... well. I don't think I can be arsed to sit through three hours but who knows though the first ten minutes was very worrying.

I had part 2 playing in the background while I was up to other stuff, and I'd really recommend skipping to the last hour before bothering with the preceding two.  There are reasons why the poor guy is making the connections and spotting the things within the series that he is.

Captain Z

I am not watching three hours of Twin Peaks fan analysis. Can you sum it up in a sentence? A sound1?

1. Laura screams

H-O-W-L

Rev+

You can see whatever you want in Twin Peaks because it's clearly supposed to be open to interpretation.  Lynch and Frost are a bit of a lethal cocktail because they come at it from different angles.  You've got your boy Lynch, interested in mood and individual moments, and in the other corner the lad Frost,  more interested in connections and conspiracies, mythology and an underlying logic to the universe.  For most of us, the series they came up with was entertaining, slightly wonky, and never entirely solvable.  Theories are fun though.

This guy - and it's why I recommend skipping to the last hour as a prologue to his actual theories - has been through some shit, to put it mildly, and is clearly not mentally well as a result.  He's looking into a magic mirror and seeing things that are very personal to him.  The 3 hour thing is someone having a breakdown by way of talking about a TV series.

He does pick up on a few genuinely interesting details, though.  I haven't re-watched the original series since seeing the more recent one, but when Cooper enters Glaston'berry' Grove at the end of series 2 he does so as Mr. C.  The flat intonation and the way of carrying himself - he's already the evil version of himself before he properly crosses over.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Rev+ on October 17, 2019, 12:20:07 AM
He does pick up on a few genuinely interesting details, though.  I haven't re-watched the original series since seeing the more recent one, but when Cooper enters Glaston'berry' Grove at the end of series 2 he does so as Mr. C.  The flat intonation and the way of carrying himself - he's already the evil version of himself before he properly crosses over.

Nah, that's bollocks. Mr. C is a distinctly separate entity, and any example of Cooper being weird or cruel before that point is not Mr. C. If he doesn't have black or white eyes it's not Mr. C and anyone who says otherwise is a dung peddler.

The only chronologically early appearance of Mr. C is the camera scene in FWWM. The 'Cooper' that stays in place on the telly when he walks out of the room. Black eyed and scowling with low jowls like Mr. C does.

BlodwynPig

*shudders*

Thats more like it.

Will now rewatch the return at last

sevendaughters

Frost alone is complete arse, the extended Milfords lore in the book is just prime FUCK OFF stuff

yeah most of the lore shit in Secret History is boring as fuck, I like it when they get onto the UFO stuff but it mostly seems to have fuck all to do with anything and appears dedicated to constructing an 'in universe' explanation for the weird stuff in the show. which makes me think fuck right off because the brilliance of the show is that it's not a technocratic exercise or a logic puzzle, you have to embrace the contradictions and chaos like it's an actual piece of art. it proceeds on an abstract emotional logic that is very very powerful, that's why I don't like to theorise too much about it, there are some motivations and causal factors that are going to be ultimately unknowable, and that's terrifying and powerful in and of itself

Rev+

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 17, 2019, 04:00:33 AM
Nah, that's bollocks. Mr. C is a distinctly separate entity, and any example of Cooper being weird or cruel before that point is not Mr. C. If he doesn't have black or white eyes it's not Mr. C and anyone who says otherwise is a dung peddler.

This is the problem I have with the whole 'Richard and Linda' thing.  They haven't transformed into the Thompsons, that was just a note left in a dirty motel that he happened to read in a wobbly mental state.  The 'Richard' version is the real Cooper, the person with cynical and cruel streaks that we see in the original pilot before TV show writing simplified him.  He's the actual rounded character, with Our Cooper, Mr. C, and probably a little dribble of Dougie in him.

Twed

I think people look at this backwards sometimes. Don't think of the Coopers you see as entities with added good or evil. Think of them as having existing good or evil filtered out. Mr. C is all the good filtered out. Regular Cooper has it all, but the good and evil are all present and balance him out.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Rev+ on October 16, 2019, 11:01:04 PM
I had part 2 playing in the background while I was up to other stuff, and I'd really recommend skipping to the last hour before bothering with the preceding two.  There are reasons why the poor guy is making the connections and spotting the things within the series that he is.

Yeah, the start of it really worried me. Not what I was expecting after the look of the first video which was rofesh and to the point. I'll watch the last hour then and see. At one point I thought maybe he was trying to write his way into the story and that the breakdown stuff was all an act but obviously not. Very sad.

hedgehog90

Has anyone had the chance to see this?

Twin Peaks ACTUALLY EXPLAINED (No, Really)

It's a video by someone who goes by the handle of Twin Perfect and it clocks in at 4 hrs 35 mins.
When I saw the title of this video pop up in my suggestions and the incredibly long running time, I expected another video where a man in need of help unravels in a dark room.
But it's actually an excellently researched and well-produced video.
Although I'm not even half way through I can confidently say that this is by far the best attempt I've seen at explaining the meaning behind the real intent of Lynch and Frost, and decrypting some of the hidden meaning that has evaded me until now.
Very compelling stuff to say the least.

This must have taken an immense amount of time and effort to produce, more-so than anything else I've seen in the Twin Peaks community, and it's ACTUALLY making sense, so if you haven't already done so, give him your likes + subscribes (and watch the video obviously).

Blumf

Yeah, I thought that it's one of the better stabs at nailing the whole thing down (Roughly: The show's a criticism of unthinking TV violence)

Was it worth the 4.5 hours though? Meeeh, he does put a lot into it, and it does flow together in a way that'd be hard to break up into smaller chunks. I can't say I was bored by it. So, sure, give it a punt. If you not on board by the first, say, 45 mins, bail.

Seeing as we've been talking about TP analysis vids. I'll drop Corn Pone into the mix. He's a bit too dismissive of other's ideas, but the videos are very fun and playful in their production, just a little bit more than a plain talking head.

Rev+

Christ, Twin Perfect are a blast from the past.  They did a massively long series on the Silent Hill games about ten years ago, and acted like absolute twats at any suggestion that certain details could be interpreted in a different way to their obviously correct  conclusions.  Unless they've changed a lot in the intervening years, and they seemed like the kind of people who never mature, they'll be completely insufferable on Twin Peaks. 

Edit:  Hackles right up within the first minute.  'David Lynch makes films that are considered by most to be impenetrable'.  Christ almighty.

Edit again:  Two minutes or so in, he's going on about Lynch talking about there being a correct interpretation of a piece, without making the distinction that the quote was about an adaptation of a novel.  There's such a thing as being true to your source material, chief.

I'm not sure this will be good for my blood pressure.  I will be watching this over the course of six months and keeping you updated, don't worry.

Edit 3:  David Lynch left the series because the station forced the reveal of Laura's killer, apparently.  I mean, there's an element of truth there but it's half-heard down the pub level.

Captain Z

If you can't sum up all your theories in 3 minutes then they're too diffuse.

BlodwynPig

Hey, people, what if... what if we dont need to theorise?!!

phantom_power

They are gonna be pissed when they find out that Lynch just likes chucking vague images and themes together and lets the audience try to work out what it all means

Rev+

I don't think he's ever been quite that obscure, but there have always been things that are there because they feel right, or help the mood.  The problem with these long analysis videos is that they think every moment is carefully-crafted and significant.  The 3 hour video linked previously even tries to assess the weight of Gordon's gag about the turnip farmers with the missing daughter, or whatever it was.  'I told them she'd turn up eventually'.  Sometimes things are in there for shits and giggles, but Twin Peaks is catnip for puzzle-solving obsessives.