Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks Season 3...

Started by Mister Six, June 06, 2018, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Quote from: Rev+ on October 25, 2019, 10:30:32 PM
I don't think he's ever been quite that obscure, but there have always been things that are there because they feel right, or help the mood.  The problem with these long analysis videos is that they think every moment is carefully-crafted and significant.  The 3 hour video linked previously even tries to assess the weight of Gordon's gag about the turnip farmers with the missing daughter, or whatever it was.  'I told them she'd turn up eventually'.  Sometimes things are in there for shits and giggles, but Twin Peaks is catnip for puzzle-solving obsessives.

I always thought the scene near the beginning of Fire Walk With Me (with Gordon's absurdly obtuse Blue Rose clues) was basically a dig at exactly those kind of analytical obsessives who see hidden meaning in every word or gesture

Mister Six

Thursday

Twin Perfect are cunts who influenced people to harass a game developer Tomm Hulett because they thought he was responsible things he didn't have any say over. Do not give these people any views.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Rev+ on October 25, 2019, 10:30:32 PM
The problem with these long analysis videos is that they think every moment is carefully-crafted and significant.

Agreed. There is a fair amount of overreaching, finding links and patterns where there were never intended. That's always going to happen with any overarching theory.
I still assume that there was a fair amount of ret-conning in season 3, that make connecting Season 3 to everything that came before messy. And some bits in Lynch's stuff are just noise that has no defined meaning behind it.
Nevertheless I think it's the most elegant analysis video I've seen (still haven't finished it yet), that compels me to think differently about things. By that definition it's very good.

Also, just want to make it clear I wasn't aware of this channel before a few days ago and I'm oblivious to anything else they've put out. My like+subscribe recommendation is purely on the basis of this video.

In other news, a small film crew were spotted setting up at the RR Diner yesterday...

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/dn8djq/film_crew_at_the_rr_diner_102519_image_credit/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

mjwilson

Quote from: Phil_A on October 25, 2019, 10:56:02 PM
I always thought the scene near the beginning of Fire Walk With Me (with Gordon's absurdly obtuse Blue Rose clues) was basically a dig at exactly those kind of analytical obsessives who see hidden meaning in every word or gesture

Even when it's explained I still don't understand why "the uncle" is missing from that sentence.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hedgehog90 on October 26, 2019, 11:28:53 AM
Agreed. There is a fair amount of overreaching, finding links and patterns where there were never intended. That's always going to happen with any overarching theory.
I still assume that there was a fair amount of ret-conning in season 3, that make connecting Season 3 to everything that came before messy. And some bits in Lynch's stuff are just noise that has no defined meaning behind it.
Nevertheless I think it's the most elegant analysis video I've seen (still haven't finished it yet), that compels me to think differently about things. By that definition it's very good.

Also, just want to make it clear I wasn't aware of this channel before a few days ago and I'm oblivious to anything else they've put out. My like+subscribe recommendation is purely on the basis of this video.

In other news, a small film crew were spotted setting up at the RR Diner yesterday...

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/dn8djq/film_crew_at_the_rr_diner_102519_image_credit/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I think it was always better when stuff just appeared... constant drip feeding of 'sightings' or 'rumours' or 'twitter enigmas' results in Anti-climax, even if the show is subsequently brilliant.

The feeling of having discovered something that no-one else has is fantastic. Doesn't matter that 1000s of others have, that moment will remain. [of course this cannot be the case with a possible S4, but I can pretend]

QDRPHNC

Never heard of Twin Perfect before, but I'm about an hour and a half into this video and I'm finding the theory pretty compelling. Just had to pause though, to come and tell CaB that at 1h 22m, this dork sounds exactly like David Cross in Waiting for Guffman.

"I've been coming to this circle for about five years, and measuring it. The diameter and the circumference are constantly changing, but the radius stays the same. Which brings me to the number 5. There are five letters in the word Blaine. Now, if you mix up the letters in the word Blaine, mix 'em around, eventually, you'll come up with Nebali. Nebali. The name of a planet in a galaxy way, way, way... way far away. And another thing. Once you go into that circle, the weather never changes. It is always 67 degrees with a 40% chance of rain."

QDRPHNC

Starting to get a bit much now...

"These things look like tea pots, but they're not."

<cut to quote of Lynch saying he regrets making them look like pots, they're just machines>

"They're not tea pots. THEY'RE COFFEE PERCOLATORS"

hedgehog90

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 29, 2019, 05:03:09 AM
Starting to get a bit much now...

"These things look like tea pots, but they're not."

<cut to quote of Lynch saying he regrets making them look like pots, they're just machines>

"They're not tea pots. THEY'RE COFFEE PERCOLATORS"

Mm, I glazed over during the latter half of it, I thought the first third or so was very good and thought provoking though.

In other news, Lynch received his honorary Oscar on Sunday.

Laura Dern and Kyle MacLachlan honor David Lynch
Isabella Rossellini honors David Lynch
David Lynch receives his Honorary Award

He's looking great here. I remember thinking he looked a bit frail/sickly recently, but I think it might've just been due to an ill-fitting suit.
Can't think of anyone with a better head of hair at his age.

Twed

To keep universal balance in order, we should give David Oscar his honorary lynching.

kidsick5000

I wish someone had told Twin Perfect you don't have to do the voice, especially since you can't do the voice.

Leo2112

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 01, 2019, 04:58:21 PM
I wish someone had told Twin Perfect you don't have to do the voice, especially since you can't do the voice.

Agree, that gets old very quickly.  I think the theory is interesting, but having to spend so much time looking at the smug Twin Perfect guy delivering it means I can only get through bits of the video at a time.

hedgehog90

If anyone's up for a re-watch we're just about to start Twin Peaks on (spam) this Tuesday night (and every subsequent Tuesday).

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,74077.msg3999800.html#msg3999800

hedgehog90

Reminder, we're watching the pilot episode tonight at 9:50.

https://live.fc2.com/6162694/

PlanktonSideburns

Mister Six

Small Man Big Horse

Out of the blue comes this news that a VR game is about to be released, apparently - https://news.avclub.com/pop-some-garmonbozia-and-play-this-twin-peaks-vr-game-1840419110

Edit: Indeed you can actually buy it right now - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1081040/Twin_Peaks_VR/

NoSleep

I thought season 3 had a feeling like wandering around an RPG already. This would have to be really good to not just feel like a knock off tie in.

Dewt

H-O-W-L

VR tie-ins are almost entirely complete shit.

H-O-W-L

Also not looking forward to shitcunts who haven't seen the show playing it for their twatty VR Let's Play channels and going GORSH ITS SURE SILLY IT DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE SO WEIRD LOL IS THIS FROM JAPAN WHAT'S A FORMICA

NoSleep

I would love for David Lynch to be closely involved in the design of an original game.

The only game that comes close to being a true work of art (and quite Lynchian in tone) that I can think of, offhand, is Bad Day At The Midway by The Residents, which is well worth getting to work on DOSBox. There's an album's worth of new material built into the game and tons of spooky atmosphere even if you can't work out how to 'beat' the game (it's a point and click adventure).

Here's a Let's Play of the game and the intro looks like it might have influenced that big opening shot in FFVII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQCNyeOMTfM

Blumf

NoSleep

I've never been a Gabriel fan so I missed that. I can't imagine anything that Gabriel produces being that much fun (just tediously "well crafted"). I'll see if there's a Let's Play and go from there.

NoSleep

HaHa I've found a Let's Play Eve and the guy playing it seems loathe to let the embedded gabriel tunes even have more than a second's airtime. Can't blame him. A kind of sub-Myst; looks a lot less fun than The Residents.

Quote from: NoSleep on December 14, 2019, 09:05:03 AM
I would love for David Lynch to be closely involved in the design of an original game.

Well, it nearly happened: http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/game.html

Also this VR thing looks like a Source fangame.

NoSleep

They could crowdsource something like that today.

VelourSpirit

I always liked to imagine a Twin Peaks game would look like a Vince Collins animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgp5TasjEY

NoSleep

or Xavier (PFFR are hugely influenced by Lynch)

Dewt