Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Started by Noonling, June 06, 2018, 03:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

The best roguelike in the world, I don't know why Dwarf Fortress gets all the attention. You can get a game launcher here (its just easier for tilesets or using mods etc, and you want to be using the latest experimental, not the official).

I usually fecking hate zombies, but this is the one zombie survival game I love, mostly because there's just so goddamn much in it. No other survival game even comes close to the depth of this. I found learning the controls much easier than DF (or most other classic roguelikes), although learning how to actually survive takes much, much longer.

The key focus is exploring. Although you can hunker down and make a nice little outpost for yourself like this person, a lot of people refit a rolling meth lab or school bus then go around scavenging from mansions, cathedrals, secret labs etc. You can make adjustments to the world creation so you can live in near-wilderness or in an endless city, and crafting is extensive enough that either one works. Unlike most roguelikes it is open world with no end goal, so once you are more comfortable in your survival you can decide if you wanna be roam the wastelands and Krav Maga the fuck out of every zombie child or just scavenge enough alcohol to fill a 200l barrel with long island iced tea.

Its a game I love coming back to every few months to see what new things they've introduced. Anyone else play it?

a peepee tipi

Once got away from a horde by setting the surrounding forest on fire, then died in the fire. It's great