Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:34:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most egregious American mispronunciations

Started by biggytitbo, June 06, 2018, 06:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

You know the Americans - always on the telly, loudness, obesity, teeth, those guys?

You know they have that weird habit of saying words wrong - like aluminium, leisure, vitamin etc, well I think I've found the absolute worst one - bouy. As in 'an anchored float serving as a navigation mark'. Check out how this guy keeps saying it on here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cdg7md_Pt0

What's that all about?

New Jack

To this day I still don't know why the seminal 1990s Fall-a-Like musical act weren't called Sidewalk

Also have to reckon Johnny Five would have fared better over here with the TA after him, far less aggressive than the A Team

New Jack

Why the fuck can't they say government? Doesn't have a B in it, you world-policing fucks, and 'ment' is nothing like 'natorial'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, "boo-ee" is a decent effort by the absolute fucking cunts, as in fairness "boyyy" isn't that close phoenetically.

But how you get "eeee" from 'oy' is anyone's guess.

The only answer is the immediate wholesale administration of gas to their bodies.

Levver - gas
Brrrgrrr - gas
Aloominum - gas

Gas it out of them

bgmnts

You haven't heard buoy pronounced like that before? Weird.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I was watching the dead R Lee Ermey's Lock and Load on Forces TV yesterday, and it was about armoured land vehicles. The soldier man he was interviewing was talking about the "chassis,", and he pronounced it exactly as you would expect, as though it's an English word.

They seem to have a thing about French words/placenames in general though, in pronouncing them literally, but they take great pains to pronounce the Spanish ones properly, albeit with a Mexican twang to it.

For the place name thing, see also:
Notre Dame
Grosse Pointe
Detroit
Des Moines

Why are they such cunts?

New Jack

I like how they hilariously mispronounced the term 'systematic murder' as 'sweep and clear'. They're not even phonetically similar!

Icehaven

Once heard an American pronounce Worcestershire as Worc-ester-shire, which is actually fair enough when you think about it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on June 06, 2018, 06:53:59 PM
You haven't heard buoy pronounced like that before? Weird.

He is from Hull so you'd think he'd have heard everything, every time.

New Jack

They just can't even do 'rural juror', eh 30 Rock fans?

wosl

Jean-Michel 'Jar-ray.'  In-fucking-croyable.

shh

Quote from: icehaven on June 06, 2018, 07:19:14 PM
Once heard an American pronounce Worcestershire as Worc-ester-shire, which is actually fair enough when you think about it.

This lot even make a thurow mess of their own Worcester, Leicester & Gloucester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AckzNzbF5E4

New Jack

Never ask a yank for the full date. No month has 2016 days!

My jokes need updating a bit yeah

Wet Blanket

It's MEEEEER for mirror. "Yeehaw! Let's go out and drink root beer, shoot up a high school and look in a MEEEER," as one might say.

New Jack

popcorn

Quote from: jake thunder on June 06, 2018, 07:19:51 PM
Pasta

That's a weird one, because that vowel sound (similar to the long "aaa" in the southern English pronunciation of "grass" or "bath") otherwise barely exists in American English.

A lot of American nerds also insist on pronouncing "manga" and "anime" with a similar long aah sound. They do this because they think it's how it's pronounced in Japanese. It isn't.

checkoutgirl

Avoiding the usual ones, on watching It's Always Sunny, I noticed their pronunciation of the name of the bar the show is set in sounded like Patties. But then I'd realise it's actually called Paddys. Something about the way they draw out the "a" in Paddys that makes it sound like Patties.

Also sometimes they pronounce parents as parrents. Some of them also say paylay when they are trying to verbalise the name of the famous Brazilian footballer.

Most unusual.

Sebastian Cobb

Lots of Scots that came in the bookies mispronounced it 'wuh-chester'. Although in fairness I've lived here nearly 13 years and still mispronounce loads of places.

Sebastian Cobb

Solder has an 'L' in it, not two d's you daft cunts.

Replies From View

They say "fillay" because it sounds posher than saying "fillet".

They love to seem posh, I think.

pigamus

The Loughborough one is even better, to the extent that people from Loughborough actually use it themselves.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on June 06, 2018, 07:43:50 PM
The Loughborough one is even better, to the extent that people from Loughborough actually use it themselves.

Dave Gorman has shown that "Loughborough" can be pronounced 'low brow", which I think is marvellous.

QDRPHNC

I was in an airport once. A older couple who were going on holiday to America found themselves sitting next to middle aged English solo traveler. You know the type. Ex-pat, probably flies this route a lot, treats the boarding lounge like his living room, no bags, just a rolled-up copy of the Express sticking out of his shabby blazer pocket a short blue biro in his hand.

Anyway, he was regaling this bored-looking couple about American spelling differences, specifically aluminium. "They don't say aluminium over there," the told them. "They say aluminum. But if you look at it, that's actually how it's spelled!"

The couple didn't correct him, perhaps aware that any amount of engagement would prolong their suffering.

BlodwynPig

Biggy, at least they can spell 'buoy' correctly

Rolf Lundgren

Anthony and Craig cause a lot of problems.