Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most egregious American mispronunciations

Started by biggytitbo, June 06, 2018, 06:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Quote from: yesitsme on June 11, 2018, 10:44:25 AM
You know the one that Italian restaurants guard

Oh yeah, like those restaurants in Iddly.

timebug

According to a former US president,your 'Iddly' could
be found in'Yerp'. Yerp being a large landmass to the
east of the UK, I gather?

MoonDust

Quote from: timebug on June 24, 2018, 09:59:57 AM
Yerp being a large landmass to the

I wouldn't be so presumptuous that their geographic knowledge goes that far. I once encountered an American who thought Scotland bordered France.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: MoonDust on June 24, 2018, 10:01:15 AM
I wouldn't be so presumptuous that their geographic knowledge goes that far. I once encountered an American who thought Scotland bordered France.

I thought Scotland was a separate island. The maps of foriegn are all pretty small in american school books. Didn't learn it was connected until I saw Mel Gibson walk to England in Braveheart and grabbed an atlas for a closer look.

mothman

Quote from: timebug on June 24, 2018, 09:59:57 AM
According to a former US president,your 'Iddly' could
be found in'Yerp'. Yerp being a large landmass to the

On Iddly Yerp Baht 'at?

zomgmouse

"huvver" for "hover" was an odd one to realise recently

timebug

'From the Get-Go'.Which a friend of mine, seriously,
thought was 'From The Gekko' for years until myself
and some other smartarses corrected him!

RenegadeScrew

Apologies if already mentioned.  The intriguing Northern Cities vowel shift - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoJ1-ZGb1w

Block is pronounced Black
Busses is pronounced Bosses

phantom_power

I am not sure this is an American thing or not but I have recently realised there are two ways of pronouncing "cumulative". I always thought it was kew-muh-la-tiv but someone at work says it as more like ka-mew-la-tive. Google/YouTube has either option

FredNurke

I can't find that in any of the usual places, so I suspect your work colleague and these other people are saying it that way because they read it before they heard it. The Oxford Concise Dictionary of Pronunciation does give an alternative US pronunciation with secondary stress on the third syllable, but that's different again (and arises more naturally, by analogy with 'accumulation' etc.).

The Bumlord

Two annoyances from watching endless behind the scenes film documentaries:

1) Min-ee-ature

2) (admittedly not a mispronunciation) Special effects types calling a fim a 'show'. It's not a show. It's a film. Absolutely seething here.