Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most egregious American mispronunciations

Started by biggytitbo, June 06, 2018, 06:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Attila on June 06, 2018, 11:07:51 PM
I'm not allowed to say out loud the names of any Classical composers' names, because apparently it causes further erosion of Mr Attila's brain or something. (So I do it all the time, like Bernard Black hitting redial on Manny's mobile).

For a Swindon I thought you meant the Suede guitarist!

Nowhere Man

bgmnts

They pronounce 'dressing up' as 'cosplay'.

Bit weird.

Steven

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 07, 2018, 01:03:23 AM
For a Swindon

I genuinely thought this was some form of rhyming slang I'd not encountered before. I'm going to start using it, but what Swindon related thing could possibly rhyme with 'moment' or 'minute' which is what I presume was the word you were going?

Nowhere Man

It was actually 'second' I was going for. Auto correct is very peculiar indeed.

zomgmouse

Australians also have intervocalic taps in place of aspirated /t/ so that aspect of American accents isn't that egregious to my ears.

I mainly just can't believe they'd pronounce Trump as president.

Fuckin got em

Squink

It's surely only been a few Swindons since we last did this, and I think I always nominate "rowte" (route) each time as something that makes me want to kill the cunts stone cold dead. So might as well run it up the old flagpole again. I agree that 'erbs is insanely annoying as well.

"Leicester" is a funny one to hear them pronounce, while we're doing place names. It comes out something like "Liechester".

"What's the rowte to Liechester? I need to go there to get some 'erbs."

Fuck me this post was an intense battle with autocorrect.

Twit 2

biggytitbo

Americans absolutely cannot say 'Lara Croft', the big titted star of the Tomb Raider games, always call her Laura even though it's well established how its said from the many games and the films.

What that all about?

Replies From View

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 06, 2018, 07:49:33 PM
I was in an airport once. A older couple who were going on holiday to America found themselves sitting next to middle aged English solo traveler. You know the type. Ex-pat, probably flies this route a lot, treats the boarding lounge like his living room, no bags, just a rolled-up copy of the Express sticking out of his shabby blazer pocket a short blue biro in his hand.

Anyway, he was regaling this bored-looking couple about American spelling differences, specifically aluminium. "They don't say aluminium over there," the told them. "They say aluminum. But if you look at it, that's actually how it's spelled!"

The couple didn't correct him, perhaps aware that any amount of engagement would prolong their suffering.

Well to be fair, they kind of say "aloominyum".  I can see how somebody would form that from the spelling if they'd never heard a real person say it aloud before.

olliebean

Afaiaa, Americans both say and spell it "aluminum."

pigamus

Attila

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 07, 2018, 01:03:23 AM
For a Swindon I thought you meant the Suede guitarist!

I'd've assumed Swindon was some Cockney slang I couldn't work out, because Mr Attila deliberately Cockney-slangs-up his daily speech to see how long it'll take me to work it out. That said, I plan to adopt this one.

Also, as I've said before, 'twenty' does not rhyme with 'plenty.'

Also, also, I was looking up the farm teams of my fave-back-at-home baseball team (Baltimore Orioles) and was charmed to see that both syllables of one of their farm team names rhymes: Shorebirds. (Well, minus the 'd' of course.)

I'll leave that abomination (according to himself; it's perfectly obvious to me) there for folks to mill over this morning. The only people on TV and films who ever get the various nuances of my and my family's native accent correct are the locals John Waters recruits for his films. (Aside from the locals hired for The Wire, the majority of the cast have horrendous 'Baltimore' accents).

Cold Meat Platter

The word jaguar is a colossal shit-show.
I'm just not having "jag-wire," just not accepting that.

Dyl Spinks

Route
Graeme/Graham
The afore-mentioned Daniel Cregg
Leisure
Vase

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Ghughesarch on June 07, 2018, 12:19:27 AM

Clitheroe is a good place name to test them with.

In my childhood neck of the woods, the fun places to make tourists say were Craigellachie  and Knockando. The former was so amusing that we adopted the wrong version with gusto.

New Jack

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 07, 2018, 09:54:13 AM

B.M.W is pronounced "Beemer", eh? Some non-Americans have been doing it too.

jobotic

There were some Americans on the train home from London years back. They pronounced Meopham as Mee-O-fam, when it's so obviously not said like that!

Attila

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 07, 2018, 09:54:13 AM

British dude on some BBC Four programme the other night was pronouncing Nicaragua in such a way that made me want to reach through the television and slap him. I ended up having to leave the room. But then again, most of the smarmy travelogues and history programmes on BBC Four make me feel the same way (related pet peeve: for the love of God, could we have a meal for once without the TV on?)

For me, trying to wrap my yankee tonsils around Jagooaaaarr makes me feel like Stephen Toast.

Attila

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on June 07, 2018, 10:01:40 AM
In my childhood neck of the woods, the fun places to make tourists say were Craigellachie  and Knockando. The former was so amusing that we adopted the wrong version with gusto.

Local faves at home with which to trip up the invaders are Annapolis, Belair, Taneytown, and Havre de Grace.

Also, 'Merryland' -- ugh. No, no, no.  Say it as if you were saying Marilyn, like Marilyn Monroe.

Bawlmer, Marilyn.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Attila on June 07, 2018, 10:23:56 AM
British dude on some BBC Four programme the other night was pronouncing Nicaragua in such a way that made me want to reach through the television and slap him. I ended up having to leave the room. But then again, most of the smarmy travelogues and history programmes on BBC Four make me feel the same way (related pet peeve: for the love of God, could we have a meal for once without the TV on?)

For me, trying to wrap my yankee tonsils around Jagooaaaarr makes me feel like Stephen Toast.

It's easy: JAG-YOU-A

Attila

Quote from: Captain Z on June 07, 2018, 10:33:35 AM
Squerl

is the correct answer.

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 07, 2018, 10:41:18 AM
It's easy: JAG-YOU-A

I'm incapable of pronouncing Washington without an 'r' let alone something that advanced; I'll stick to calling them Jags or XKEs (regardless of model type).

Although jagYOUa might be just what I need to wind up certain members of this household.

yesitsme

Anyone said Australians yet?

I don't know what it is with these cunts but they have to shorten every single fucking word they use.

I saw a programme once about a hospital and this Aussie bitch referred to a patient as being 'Hyper-Glyco'.

Listen you antipodean arsehole these words are the same all over the world.  They're that way to avoid any confusion no matter where you are as to what your 'symptos' are.

I hope the cow has been windrushed back to Wallabanoo Creek and her kids eaten by a croc.

It was this woman who fired up my Ausphobia so much that I will now not watch a TV show if I THINK it might have one in it.

I am also racist towards South Africans because of one client I used to have who pronounced the word flight as 'flharrrt'.

Windrushed.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: yesitsme on June 07, 2018, 11:03:51 AM

I don't know what it is with these cunts but they have to shorten every single fucking word they use.

I saw a programme once about a hospital and this Aussie bitch referred to a patient as being 'Hyper-Glyco'.

Listen you antipodean arsehole these words are the same all over the world.  They're that way to avoid any confusion no matter where you are as to what your 'symptos' are.

I hope the cow has been windrushed back to Wallabanoo Creek and her kids eaten by a croc.

It was this woman who fired up my Ausphobia so much that I will now not watch a TV show if I THINK it might have one in it.

I am also racist towards South Africans because of one client I used to have who pronounced the word flight as 'flharrrt'.

Windrushed.

Pal.
This is the thread about Americans saying things perfectly understandably but slightly differently to how we'd like. Not Australians.
Although I can understand how you'd get confused by their similar hats.

jobotic

Hemorrhage = heemo

Cardiac Arrest = Cardy

JesusAndYourBush

Hyundai = Hunday.  Not sure how I feel about that one.  The first few times I heard it it took me a while before I worked out what they were fupping saying, but on the other hand it's much closer to the proper Korean pronunciation than the way we say it.

Quote from: Attila on June 07, 2018, 10:23:56 AM
British dude on some BBC Four programme the other night was pronouncing Nicaragua in such a way that made me want to reach through the television and slap him.

KNICKER - RAHHH - GWAAAH!

yesitsme

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 07, 2018, 11:08:58 AM
Pal.
This is the thread about Americans saying things perfectly understandably but slightly differently to how we'd like. Not Australians.
Although I can understand how you'd get confused by their similar hats.

Fair dinkum Bruce.  Fair dinkum.

Yanks can't say 'Caramel' can they?  Who's this 'Carmel' woman they're always on about?

biggytitbo

Quote from: yesitsme on June 07, 2018, 11:03:51 AM

Not sure how Nintendo are going to market Labo in that territory.