Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:31:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast

Started by zomgmouse, June 07, 2018, 07:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

I was recently turned on to this podcast and rampaged right through it - essentially it's a fictional podcast for "The Beef and Dairy Network" which is all about cows and issues relating to cows and cow farming etc, with interviews with various characters. It's half-scripted and half-improvised, I believe.

If you've not listened to it yet, I highly, highly urge you to. It'd fit right in with most CaBbers' senses of humour; it's sort of somewhere between Chris Morris, Delve Special and Look Around You. It's maintained a primo level for the entirety of its running. So many tremendous aspects to it, not in the least the various running gags and storylines and characters that exist in this world, as well as simply the multitude of incredibly and funny one-off gags in it. And it's delivered in that superb British deadpan that provides a delightful counterpoint to the ludicrous things being said. I couldn't believe just how similar it was in tone to the kinds of comedy I love and also write. Very wonderful stuff.

Does anyone else here listen to it already? I tried searching and only a few mentions in a couple of threads popped up.

spamwangler

yesitsme

I like it.  I think Eli Roberts has been my favourite comedy character in years.

You may also like Ray Moss - No Stone Unturned (or whatever it was called).  The first episode was released under TBaDN podcast banner but you'll have to download the Kench podcast from Radio 1 to hear the others. 

It's the same team and takes a similar vein but again it's very well done and very funny.

Don't listen to any of the other Kench podcasts though.  They're shite.

Beef out.

zomgmouse

Yeah I had a listen to Ray Moss too! Very good stuff.

Quote from: spamwangler on June 07, 2018, 09:25:15 AM
Got milk link?

You can listen on iTunes or on beefanddairynetwork.com

Twed

And any podcast aggregation service, e.g. Pocket Casts.

Haven't listened yet, but I'm finding "Episode 7 - Yoghurt Special" really funny as a title.

Brian Freeze

I agree wholeheartedly about avoidance of any other of the "comedy" on the Kench podcast after listening to Ray Moss.

There's a lot of really excellent Beef and Dairies to go at though. Plenty of Wosniak. Which I find to be a good thing.

Ferris

Been recommending it for years, it think its just a bit too weird to pitch to John Q Public. It is well good though.

Jerzy Bondov

Thanks for this thread, I listened to the first episode on the way home and was still laughing when I went to bed, thinking about him grilling the guy over whether you can eat a Higgs Boson particle.

Neville Chamberlain

Benjaminos

Hahah, that beef forecast. Splendid.

This is very silly and I like it a lot. Thanks!

Twed

Listened to the most recent episode. Wonderful. An extended flight of fancy. Good twist on the Frankenstein's Monster thing. Before "My Old Beef Pal" when they said the singer was homeless I thought "They're not going to... are they?". They did.

zomgmouse

I kind of knew I'd love it from the moment the fake sponsor message came on at the beginning. Just pitch-perfect all round. And the extra moments of narrative like during the "fifth meat" bits are a brilliant tangent to add to the regular interview format.

Shaky

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 08, 2018, 11:33:43 PM
I kind of knew I'd love it from the moment the fake sponsor message came on at the beginning. Just pitch-perfect all round. And the extra moments of narrative like during the "fifth meat" bits are a brilliant tangent to add to the regular interview format.

I wasn't really feeling it until "fifth meat" kicked in actually, then it all clicked.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Shaky on June 09, 2018, 02:54:04 AM
I wasn't really feeling it until "fifth meat" kicked in actually, then it all clicked.

Do you mean in the first episode or when that expands later in the podcast? Cause there's more fifth meat stuff as it goes on.

doppelkorn

My friend heartily recommended these, but we're now estranged so I kind of feel like not listening to them out of spite.

zomgmouse

Quote from: doppelkorn on June 09, 2018, 11:23:11 AM
My friend heartily recommended these, but we're now estranged so I kind of feel like not listening to them out of spite.

Listen to it because you love us and yourself and let the memory of your friend go.

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

checked out ep1, it was quite cool. loved the fifth meat and the chat about space cows. felt a little bit contrived for my taste tho, like they were forcing it. what kind of professor would get that angry over the phone even at the most unreasonable of questions? like he was fuming.

not to be anal but it felt like it wasn't deadpan enough. are the later episodes better?

garnish

Yes, the first episode is quite broad but it gets a bit more subtle in later episodes

Shaky

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 09, 2018, 04:27:24 AM
Do you mean in the first episode or when that expands later in the podcast? Cause there's more fifth meat stuff as it goes on.

First episode. Something about the way it originally popped up tickled me no end.

I listened to the Kevin Eldon episode earlier and found it slightly disappointing. He was solid as always but the fact it was so obviously Kevin Eldon doing a bit took me out of the Beef and Diary Network universe somewhat.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Shaky on June 11, 2018, 11:40:32 AM
I listened to the Kevin Eldon episode earlier and found it slightly disappointing. He was solid as always but the fact it was so obviously Kevin Eldon doing a bit took me out of the Beef and Diary Network universe somewhat.

He's definitely the biggest name they've had on there, as well as Josie Long, if that placates you at all.

Ferris

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 11, 2018, 11:44:06 PM
He's definitely the biggest name they've had on there, as well as Josie Long, if that placates you at all.

Greg whatshisname is on there a lot, the tall one.

ASFTSN

Rich Beef Sausages.

Listened to a fair few of these and it's definitely got its moments!  Does anyone else feel a bit like it wears its influence too obviously on its sleeve?  Sometimes I feel like I'm enjoying but there's the Look Around You bit, there's a Chris Morris bit, there's a Mid-Morning Matters phone-in caller bit, etc.  Love all these things though so I dunno what my problem is.

zomgmouse

I dunno, I feel like you can definitely tell its precedents but also it's doing its own original thing so that doesn't really rankle me. At the end of the day it's enjoyable on its own terms even if certain bits inevitably remind me of other stuff.

ASFTSN

Yeah I'm going to keep listening.  I think Look Around You seems like the biggest influence.  The bloke even sounds a little bit like Robert Popper!

Twed

Still loving this, now on my second episode.

That has to be Rosie Cavaliero, right?

Twed

ASFTSN

For some reason I am finding the lady's voice saying "If it's not Mitchells, get back in the truck!" in the advert at the beginning of each episode mildly arousing.  Beef propaganda, perhaps.

Blue Jam

Is it sad that I just saw a spider in the bedroom and my first thought was "Awwww, eight-legged micro-beef"?

Yes, I love this and have been listening since it was recommended in the original thread a while back. Standouts for me are:

Episode 14: A Matter Of Life And Death. Properly dreamlike, a lovely piece of work, just wonderfully put-together and I don't want to post any spoilers (but listen to Episode 1, Dr David Pin, first) .

Episode 23: 75th Anniversary Special, with the spoof archive footage, BBC English accents and hidden messages to Allied WW2 bombers.

Episode 25, Les Cheese's Heart, with the hipsters getting grafts of animal parts as body modification for the lulz, is great if genuinely nightmarish.

I also like the way this podcast is just as obsessed with the word "anus" as Athletico Mince is. It's just a funny word, I guess.

Ferris

The unusual obsession with wasps/mosquitos reminds me of Brass Eye. Don't know what to make of that connection really.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 25, 2018, 10:56:38 PM
Episode 25, Les Cheese's Heart, with the hipsters getting grafts of animal parts as body modification for the lulz, is great if genuinely nightmarish.

Yeah, some of this podcast is actually pretty creepy (sorry to harp on about it but sort of goofy-lolrandomy-creepy in a way that reminds me of Look Around You).  The body-modified man's answering machine message where he's begging the doctor to have his beak removed was unsettling.