Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie plagiarism

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 07, 2018, 03:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

What's your favourite bit of movie plagiarism?

Mine is the entire plot of 1989's "Shocking Dark", which was released in many countries under this title.

But that's not even the worst of it. I'll recap the plot, see if you can spot the very subtle clues. A group of marines is forced to take a non-soldier along on a mission – a woman with curly auburn hair. They encounter a creature which doesn't kill them immediately, but takes them away and stores them in a gooey webbing, where they beg to be killed. They rescue a small girl who's survived in the hostile environment for some time. The soldiers have radar trackers, and at one point they're detecting signals from monsters who should be in the room with them, they're so close. The corporation representative tries to trap the female and the kid in a room with the monster, and turns the camera off so no-one knows what he's doing. While setting off the base's self-destruct mechanism, the woman gives the girl a wristband that will allow her to be tracked, seconds before she falls down a long slide and out of sight.

Enjoy it here!

Blumf

Unsurprisingly, Lady Terminator does indeed rip off (Gentleman) Terminator, but at least has the decency to show us tits wrap the story in some bat-shit insane Indonesian folklore tale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Terminator

Ant Farm Keyboard

When I saw 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag, I was struck at how many plot points were similar to Meet the Parents, which was released a couple of years later.

It turns out that Meet the Parents is based on a little seen indie movie of the same title, released in 1992. Universal bought the remake rights to it (even if the original writers aren't credited), and the writer for 8 Heads was the one who ripped off the original material.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 07, 2018, 04:53:54 PM
8 Heads in a Duffel Bag

I love that film.  I think I'm the only person that does.

I know what you mean, though.

How about The Last Shark (AKA Great White)?  Plagiarises Jaws, Jaws 2 AND Jaws 3.  It's hilarious.

Phil_A

The Guy Pearce sci-fi movie Lockout was such a rip-off of John Carpenter's work that he successfully sued Luc Besson's production company over it.

So we definitely won't be seeing any more movies starring Pearce as iconic anti-hero Snake Pli- er...Marion Snow.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised the Metal Gear games never ran into any trouble over that.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2018, 07:50:55 PMHow about The Last Shark (AKA Great White)?  Plagiarises Jaws, Jaws 2 AND Jaws 3.  It's hilarious.
Some amazing foresight they had there, plagiarising Jaws 3 two years before it came out. I agree though, it is hilarious, that repetitive music they play every time the terrible fibreglass shark rises out of the water.

There was also Tintorera, which was basically Jaws with fannies.

magval

Quote from: Phil_A on June 07, 2018, 08:33:23 PM
The Guy Pearce sci-fi movie Lockout was such a rip-off of John Carpenter's work that he successfully sued Luc Besson's production company over it.

So we definitely won't be seeing any more movies starring Pearce as iconic anti-hero Snake Pli- er...Marion Snow.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised the Metal Gear games never ran into any trouble over that.

I think copyright law will let you away with homage, and those games are basically a love letter to all the films they borrow from, rather than blatant theft.

Attila

The Island was a rip off of Parts: The Clonus Horror -- it was MST3K fans who alerted the creators of the latter about the egregious rip off of the former.

https://variety.com/2005/biz/features/was-the-island-cloned-2-1117927239/

itsfredtitmus

I hope Howard Hawks sues Carpenter

popcorn

Not quite an extreme case, but I was shocked by 28 Days Later's resemblance to the plot of Day of the Triffids. It hits all the same beats, but the blind people and killer plants are combined into zombies: protagonist wakes in hospital after surgery to find apocalypse has occurred, discovers survivors flashing a light in a building, escapes to a mansion which has been taken over by the army, and then fucks off to the countryside. Bananas.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Phil_A on June 07, 2018, 08:33:23 PM

I thought of this recently, as I wondered if Skyscraper might fall pray to the legal representatives of another famous 80s action film (though maybe not as it has famously been used as a template quite a few times, and may have a more complex legal history as a book adaptation/quasi sequel to a Frank Sinatra film)