Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:12:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Singers whose voices you utterly loathe

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, June 07, 2018, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysnacks

Adele.
'I MUST HAVE [HEARD THAT SONG] A THOUSAND TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES'

FUCK OFF!

hedgehog90

jobotic

Kate Nash, Damon Albarn, the Gallaghers.

You know, that lot.

MoonDust

Fuck, I know it, I can hear it right now in my head. But I totally forgot her name or what songs she sings. She did a duet with I think Tom Jones that was kinda old style. Like Sinatra-ish. She growls, and sounds like she eats gravel, but with a high voice, not a gruff voice. Hard to describe other than G R A T I N G.

Edit: Remembered. Cerys Matthews. Okay, her voice isn't that gravelly, but fuck me it is annoying.

saltysnacks

Quote from: MoonDust on June 07, 2018, 05:59:55 PM
Fuck, I know it, I can hear it right now in my head. But I totally forgot her name or what songs she sings. She did a duet with I think Tom Jones that was kinda old style. Like Sinatra-ish. She growls, and sounds like she eats gravel, but with a high voice, not a gruff voice. Hard to describe other than G R A T I N G.

Cerys Matthews?

Edit: Didn't notice your edit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The bloke from the band James - James Jameson. He always sounds so smug.

MoonDust

Cerys Matthews has got one of those voices that sounds like she's putting it on, like it's not her natural singing voice. Which as goes for any singer, I hate that. Even if I'm mistaken and it's not put on, if it sounds like it is I'm going to have the opinion that their voice is annoying as hell.

sevendaughters

Joanna Newsom. Real shame because she's incredibly talented.

Lemming

Probably sacrilege, but Robert Plant can fuck off. Hideous screeching noise, like a goblin that's got its bollocks trapped in something. Doesn't help that he says "mama" so frequently, sounding like a shit third-rate Johnny Bravo impersonator. His vocals are the second worst thing about Led Zeppelin, the first worst thing being Jimmy Page sleeping with kids.

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 07, 2018, 06:02:21 PM
Cerys Matthews?

YOU GIVE ME R-R-ROAD R-R-RAGE

pigamus

thraxx

Quote from: Lemming on June 07, 2018, 06:06:38 PM
Probably sacrilege, but Robert Plant can fuck off. Hideous screeching noise, like a goblin that's got its bollocks trapped in something. Doesn't help that he says "mama" so frequently, sounding like a shit third-rate Johnny Bravo impersonator. His vocals are the second worst thing about Led Zeppelin, the first worst thing being Jimmy Page sleeping with kids.

YOU GIVE ME R-R-ROAD R-R-RAGE

Robert Plant is the weak link in Zeppelin. Biggest show off with the most to be modest about. Imagine what Zep would have sounded like with Ian Gillan or Ossie.

In the same vein Fred Fucking Schneider.

MoonDust

Quote from: Lemming on June 07, 2018, 06:06:38 PM

Nah I'm with you there. See also AC/DC. Sounds like he's in the middle of shitting his pelvis out.

Which leads me onto an off-topic rant I've been meaning to make a thread about. Why are Led Zep and AC/DC so famous and "up there" with rock n roll greats. They were objectively shit, and there were waaaaay more interesting and better bands from their time. Why do they get all the credit for being legends? What actually so good about them?

Okay, maybe Led Zep aren't that shit. Some songs are alright. But AC/DC can fuck right off.

saltysnacks

It really depends on the song, but Kate Bush's cutesy voice make me want to throw up.

thraxx

Quote from: pigamus on June 07, 2018, 06:08:10 PM
Elvis Costello. Can't bear him.

Was it Taylor Parkes who said that 'of all the musicians i hate that ive made no effort to listen to their work, he's the one i hate the least'. Costello can fuck off an all.

saltysnacks

Quote from: MoonDust on June 07, 2018, 06:09:29 PM
Nah I'm with you there. See also AC/DC. Sounds like he's in the middle of shitting his pelvis out.

Which leads me onto an off-topic rant I've been meaning to make a thread about. Why are Led Zep and AC/DC so famous and "up there" with rock n roll greats. They were objectively shit, and there were waaaaay more interesting and better bands from their time. Why do they get all the credit for being legends? What actually so good about them?

I agree somewhat, but Led Zep are much much better than AC/DC.

MoonDust

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 07, 2018, 06:11:16 PM
I agree somewhat, but Led Zep are much much better than AC/DC.

Ha! You once again missed my edit. Sorry. I acknowledged that actual Led Zep aren't 100% terrible.

saltysnacks

Quote from: MoonDust on June 07, 2018, 06:14:04 PM
Ha! You once again missed my edit. Sorry. I acknowledged that actual Led Zep aren't 100% terrible.

To answer your question, I think it's that they make the lesser known band's sounds more easily digested. Same with Nirvana popularising grunge.

Lemming

Now that the floodgates are open, yeah, Led Zeppelin is vastly overrated in general, a handful of fantastic riffs aside.

AC/DC are great during the Bon Scott era, easily better than Led Zeppelin for me. Powerage is pretty good back to front, bar one or two stand-out crap songs. The Brian Johnson era is all over the shop, though, and most of it can fuck off, as can his voice (which admittedly isn't that different from Scott's). AC/DC have that same weird quality as Status Quo, where even when they're being pretty good, they're impossible to take seriously and you feel vaguely embarrassed for listening to them.

One of the things that gets to me about Led Zeppelin is that they write awful lyrics about Lord of the Fucking Rings and shit that sounds like a bunch of losers writing about their naff high-fantasy D&D campaign, and they get lavished with praise for it, but when my beloved Dragonforce do the same thing - albeit slightly worse - they get absolutely roasted.

MoonDust

Ever since watching the Big Short, the song "When the Levee Breaks" will always remind me of the 2008 crash and the beginning of the end of capitalism and the collapse of society as we know it, which is probably about the best compliment I can give Led Zep.

Jokes and cynicism aside, I actually do quite like that song.

chveik

pigamus

Katie Melua. Like a bland vacuum cleaner with something stuck in its pipe.

itsfredtitmus

Scott Walker, Nick Cave, Flaming Lips guy (especially from soft bulletin era)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'd say Tom Waits, but I'm not sure his drunken caterwauling counts as singing. Also Mark E. Smith - I don't care how dead he is.

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 07, 2018, 06:05:43 PM
Joanna Newsom.
I wouldn't say I loathe her voice so much as I find it utterly ridiculous. Like a gnome on helium.

idunnosomename

Quote from: MoonDust on June 07, 2018, 06:05:16 PM
Cerys Matthews has got one of those voices that sounds like she's putting it on, like it's not her natural singing voice. Which as goes for any singer, I hate that. Even if I'm mistaken and it's not put on, if it sounds like it is I'm going to have the opinion that their voice is annoying as hell.

Her spoken voice sounds like she's doing a bad Welsh person impression for a sheep-shagging joke. Except she never slips into Indian. She's on BBC radio all the time now, her husky-whispering voice being very suited for sentimental shit-for-cunts documentaries

checkoutgirl

Rihanna. It just goes directly to the annoyance centre of my brain. Doesn't help that her tunes are pap but that voice. Oof!!

DrGreggles

Twed

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 07, 2018, 05:39:46 PM
Adele.
'I MUST HAVE [HEARD THAT SONG] A THOUSAND TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES'

FUCK OFF!
She just yells, doesn't she? Nobody else seems to mention that she's just shouting.

She doesn't seem egregiously bad on the wobbly-voice front that (going to have to be a snob here) viewers of The Voice, Britain's Got Talent, X Factor etc. think constitutes a "good voice", although she's certainly not completely innocent.