Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Singers whose voices you utterly loathe

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, June 07, 2018, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

What about out of all the singers on that Perfect Day BBC thing? The only one I really dislike is Heather Small.

Daron Malakian, with his sustained nasal bleating.

Bobtoo

Eliza Doolittle and that cunt on Pack Up, Lloyd Wade apparently. I think Pack Up might be the most Radio 2 record ever made.

Heather Small of course. From around the same time I'd nominate the cunt from the Lighthouse Family.

Berthas Fat Leg

Sometimes I'll be listening to early Black Sabbath (who I like) and go 'fucks sake Ozzy, your voice is absolute shite there mate.'

Clownbaby

I hate all the wispy baby voiced covers of songs you hear in car adverts. Like that Send In The Clowns one and the 7 billion different covers of Where Is My Mind?

And singers that you usually get on X Factor that deliberately pronounce words in an affected Irish/Scottish lilt when they sing that is not there when they talk

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: Rainbow Moses on June 17, 2018, 02:56:41 AM
As a man who's learned to love most vocalists, from Geddy Lee to Joanna Newsom to Tom Waits to David Tibet, I'm not really made for this thread. That being said, I detest Ian Gillan on 'Highway Star', that staple of 100 Great Rock Vocal Performances lists. 'Painkiller' is another staple of such lists, which I can't understand at all because it's my least favourite performance by Halford. Unlistenable, irritating, squealy shite.

Hated individual performances aside, the only singer that fills me with steamed loathing is Dave Mustaine. I've never knowingly heard Ed Sheeran, however, so the whiny old homophobe may yet be ousted. One ginger bollocks deserves another.

Oh, and 'Child in Time' takes the piss.

Thank you and goodnight.

a duncandisorderly

Thomas

Quote from: mobias on June 18, 2018, 06:10:03 PM
I'm surprised no one here has yet mentioned Robert Smith. I actually love the Cure and like his voice but I've lost count of the amount of times over the years I've had conversations with people who have said they cannot stand him.

I often try to get along with The Cure, but usually find myself fed up of his vocal style after about three songs. I really like 'Prayers for Rain', enough to keep me probing the rest of their discography for similar gems, but I don't know how people are content to settle on Morrissey's voice as the quintessential tone of '80s mope, when Robert Smith is out there, moaning on and on.

Imagine 'How Soon is Now?' wailed by Robert Smith. Would just be annoying.

Clownbaby

I'm genuinely not sure what to think of Johnny Whitney's (The Blood Brothers) voice. Sometimes I love it when I'm in the mood, other times its just so irritating. It's like a chipmunk and banshee and a bitch slap filtered through a man

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1itpNnfBg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHU-aeoyug

the ouch cube

Quote from: Thomas on July 06, 2018, 12:30:58 PM
I often try to get along with The Cure, but usually find myself fed up of his vocal style after about three songs. I really like 'Prayers for Rain', enough to keep me probing the rest of their discography for similar gems, but I don't know how people are content to settle on Morrissey's voice as the quintessential tone of '80s mope, when Robert Smith is out there, moaning on and on.

Imagine 'How Soon is Now?' wailed by Robert Smith. Would just be annoying.

Because Morrissey has always sounded like a quintessentially insincere, smirking huckster who is massively in love with himself, whereas Smith's worst vocal crime is the occasional bit of hamminess.

Phil_A

I genuinely cannot fucking stand the snot-nosed braggadocio of Marshall "Eminem" Mathers, exacerbated by having a Kiss FM subsidiary on the office, where they're guaranteed to play "My Name Is" or "The Real Slim Shady" a couple of times a day. His pathetic hardman posturing always sounds utterly ludicrous coming from such a whiny little shit.

"I'm sick of all you little girl-and-boy groups, all you do is annoy me so I've been sent here to destroy you." Ooh, I bet they're fucking shaking.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Phil_A on July 06, 2018, 07:54:21 PM
I genuinely cannot fucking stand the snot-nosed braggadocio of Marshall "Eminem" Mathers, exacerbated by having a Kiss FM subsidiary on the office, where they're guaranteed to play "My Name Is" or "The Real Slim Shady" a couple of times a day. His pathetic hardman posturing always sounds utterly ludicrous coming from such a whiny little shit.

"I'm sick of all you little girl-and-boy groups, all you do is annoy me so I've been sent here to destroy you." Ooh, I bet they're fucking shaking.

Em's the greatest of all time you fool

Clownbaby

Not my boy! No!

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 10, 2018, 07:51:00 PM
George Ezra can fuck right off. Sounds like a little boy mimicking his dad.

Yep. A voice that sounds like it shouldn't be coming from him and a fucking annoying voice at that.

Nowhere Man

I genuinely cannot fucking stand the snot-nosed braggadocio of Marshall "Eminem" Mathers, exacerbated by having a Kiss FM subsidiary on the office, where they're guaranteed to play "My Name Is" or "The Real Slim Shady" a couple of times a day.

Definitely one of the more popular Chas and Dave hits these days.

jobotic

Doesn't anyone hate Jello Biafra's voice?

I love it, but there must be people who can't bear it.

nero

QuoteI genuinely cannot fucking stand the snot-nosed braggadocio of Marshall "Eminem" Mathers

How can people enjoy his voice? His cadence is annoying too.

Bronzy

Liam Gallagher. His manc whine pisses me off, genuinely don't get the hype around him.

Doesn't help that he's also a massive cunt that's up his own arse

Clownbaby

I find Drake's voice sort of flat and gormless sounding both when he raps and ehen he sings his chilled out R n B songs. I also can't stand the way he says "Hotline Bling", it sounds more like "hanlanblain"

New Jack

I can replicate the modern Autotune aspect of vocals by singing with the occasional note wildly off key, while banging on my chest with my fists to create a sort of staccato stutter

Hey, I never said I got invited to parties

Clownbaby

Bazooka

Quote from: New Jack on August 02, 2018, 03:19:31 PM
I can replicate the modern Autotune aspect of vocals by singing with the occasional note wildly off key, while banging on my chest with my fists to create a sort of staccato stutter

Hey, I never said I got invited to parties

There is nothing wrong with autotune on paper, there are many many great artists who use vocal manipulation, just the mainstream producers and the retrospective audience have genuinely forgot the human voice doesn't sound like Johnny 5 on co-codamol.

Clownbaby

T-Pain for example is the first and last word in the beautiful tones of electronic vocal manipulation and I won't have any more said about it

Golden E. Pump

Prince had whole other characters based on vocal manipulations.