Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Singers whose voices you utterly loathe

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, June 07, 2018, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Twed

Twed

Quote from: Twed on June 07, 2018, 07:33:55 PM
A bit like if Loyd Grossman fronted a band, isn't it?
Oh no, I've just discovered something terrible via Wikipedia

jobotic

Agree about Plant and that whole shitting your pelvis out rawk singing. Axl Rose is another.

alan nagsworth

Yeah fuck Axl Rose. Piss awful voice.

ANOHNI is drivel as well, absolutely detest her. There's one song she sings on which is on the Simian Mobile Disco Fabriclive mix, I know exactly when it's going to come in and I hit skip immediately. Ruins the flow of the thing, really anohying.

MoonDust

doppelkorn

Largely forgotten landfill indie solo act Jamie T.

If you ever want to hear the aural equivalent of a punchable face, listen to his cover of Atlantic City.

Golden E. Pump

Mark E. Smith, Kate Nash and Nigel Blackwell.

jobotic

Jockice

Bryan Ferry. And anyone else who does that sort of mannered singing. Although it worked well for David Sylvian on Ghosts.

Gradual Decline

Linda Perry of 4 Non Blondes fame.

Anthony Kiedis, though. Worse than Axl Rose. Which is fucking going some.

Jockice

Quote from: Gradual Decline on June 07, 2018, 10:28:29 PM

He was going to be my second choice.

Kane Jones

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 07, 2018, 09:08:41 PM
The simpering whine of Sam Smith.

Yeah this. Whoever said Scott Walker might want to invest in some new fucking ears.

Can't tolerate AC/DC purely down to the fucking rotten vocals.  Brian Johnson's I find the most unbearable. 

alan nagsworth

Whatshisface from Dirty Projectors. Shame really because his music is bloody good, but rendered unlistenable. The only song of theirs I like - in fact I adore it to pieces - is Stillness is the Move, because he doesn't sing. Angel Deradoorian does, and she's incredible.

NoSleep

Tom Waits is unlistenable for me. Like somebody puking back up the contents of an ashtray they had previously swallowed. People mention my love of Beefheart when I mention this, but they don't sound anything alike.

Louis Armstrong, too; give me Cootie Williams or Jabbo Smith, two other singing trumpeteers who do it better for me; the demands of 1920's trumpet playing (growling as you play) totally fuck your vocal chords in a particular way, so they all sound a bit throaty. I like his trumpet playing, just not the sound of his voice. And Waits sounds like an Armstrong parody.

Dr Syntax Head

Brett Anderson. Brian Molko. Anhoni. Ed Sheeran. Fuck off with your voices.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Gradual Decline on June 07, 2018, 10:28:29 PM
Linda Perry of 4 Non Blondes fame.

Yeah Keidis is deplorable. Fucking non singer.

Bazooka

Joss/Josh? Stone.

British rappers I generally struggle to stomach from a sonic aesthetic, Scoobius Pip being too much in particular, in fact he was headlining some small outdoor festival I went to a few years back now, I left my friends enjoying it ,and went and stood by the eco toilets to clear my ears and head.

Absorb the anus burn

Bob Geldoff.
Mark Knopfler.
Bob Dylan.
Mick Jagger.
Bono.
Rod Stewart.
Phil Collins.

Scammin

Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol has a voice that puts the shite right up my back.

NurseNugent

Cyndi Lauper is the only one I can think off at the top of my head.

PaulTMA

manticore

Quote from: MoonDust on June 07, 2018, 06:05:16 PM
Cerys Matthews has got one of those voices that sounds like she's putting it on, like it's not her natural singing voice. Which as goes for any singer, I hate that. Even if I'm mistaken and it's not put on, if it sounds like it is I'm going to have the opinion that their voice is annoying as hell.

It doesn't sound as if it's put on, it's just a natural extension of her speaking voice, which is beautiful. It's a perfectly unaffected welsh accent. You should be ashamed of yourself for your opinion on this subject.

Bad singers: Whitney Houston, almost all other post-70s soul divas, Bob Mould, most 'r n b' singers, Chrissie Hynde, almost all heavy metal and hard rock vocalists, Ian McCulloch sorry Icehaven, Tom Waits, most folk singers.

I don't see what people have got against Adele, she's a very fine and expressive singer and she seems nice to me.

PaulTMA

the lead singer out of Shiny Happy People