Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:05:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Singers whose voices you utterly loathe

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, June 07, 2018, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Murdoch, and the guy from Galaxie 500. Can't handle it with either one of them. I only pick on them because I would otherwise be a fan of their music.

Shaky

Quote from: Twed on June 07, 2018, 07:34:40 PM
Oh no, I've just discovered something terrible via Wikipedia

Ha, I only found out about that at the beginning of the week. Feels like some fundamental part of reality has now been altered.

My list:
Anthony Kiedis.
The bloke from System of a Down
Stefan Dennis

Absorb the anus burn

itsfredtitmus

Andy Partridge sometimes but only sometimes

MoonDust

Quote from: manticore on June 08, 2018, 12:17:15 AM
It doesn't sound as if it's put on, it's just a natural extension of her speaking voice, which is beautiful. It's a perfectly unaffected welsh accent. You should be ashamed of yourself for your opinion on this subject.

I stick by it. Matthews singing with Tom Jones on "Baby It's Cold Outside" is like scratching a chalkboard. I've not heard her talking voice, but oddly enough I can sorta tell her voice would probably sound nice spoken. But singing? Not for me. Even if it's her natural voice, to me it sounds very over the top.

hermitical

Quote from: manticore on June 08, 2018, 12:17:15 AMBad singers: Whitney Houston, almost all other post-70s soul divas, Bob Mould, most 'r n b' singers, Chrissie Hynde, almost all heavy metal and hard rock vocalists, Ian McCulloch sorry Icehaven, Tom Waits, most folk singers.

Bad singers or singers whose voices you utterly loathe? Because there are some mighty strong sweeping statements there if you think most singers in a number of genres are bad at singing.

Panbaams

Lily Allen's tuneless cockney sparrer thing. Dreadful.

Jockice

Quote from: Panbaams on June 08, 2018, 09:08:14 AM

Taken to its ultimate conclusion by that Kate Nash woman. Why the hell would anyone want to sound like that?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Panbaams on June 08, 2018, 09:08:14 AM

Yes, she's a fucking dreadful cunt.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 08, 2018, 09:46:00 AM
Yes, she's a fucking dreadful cunt.

But compared to her father she's an utter angel.

Neville Chamberlain

I always think Tom York's over-earnest warbling runs what is (often) some perfectly good music. That chap out of Sigur Rós gets my goat an' all.

Jerzy Bondov

Ellie Goulding. Sounds like one of those things you put on your front garden to scare off cats.

poodlefaker

Quote from: thraxx on June 07, 2018, 06:08:31 PM
Imagine what Zep would have sounded like with Ian Gillan or Ossie.

Or indeed with Terry Reid, who I think was the original choice as vocalist.

samadriel

Surprised I'm the first to mention Billy Corgan.  That breathy, whiny hissssssssss...  Fucking horrible, I've always hated it.

Brundle-Fly

I like many of the voices nominated so far. Ah well.

It's the autotuned 21st century pop singers that make my ears deep vomit. The sort of singers you hear on the music they pipe into the Kingdom Of Sweets store on Oxford Street.

lebowskibukowski

I second the vote for Anthony Kiedis. Godawful

holyzombiejesus

King Creosote. I really would like to like him - I like lots of his Fence contemporaries and don't mind him too much when his voice is drowned out when he does that 4 Caws thing with James Yorkston and UNPOC - but he has this really horrible pleading tone to his singing that I can't stand.

samadriel

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on June 08, 2018, 11:09:54 AM
I second the vote for Anthony Kiedis. Godawful

He seems to chuck the letter 'L' into his vocals at random, it's bizarre.

Kane Jones

That affected, grunting, faux-emotional, eggy warble post-grunge singers generally sing with. A kind of hybrid of James Hetfield, Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. Yer Nickelback dude is one of the obvious main offenders, but there are dozens of the cunts. The worst one was that cover of Simon & Garfunkel's Sound Of Silence done by Disturbed. Absolutely fucking awful.

Wet Blanket

Lasses: All the shouters, Adele, Florence Welch, Paloma Faith. Before them I didn't like the ones who sang fifty notes per vowel. Your Christina Aguileras, and all the other ones in that Lady Marmalade video.

Lads: Noel Gallagher, Chris Martin, Bono... Shouters again. Way too much shouting going on.

Remember the bloke out of Embrace? Man alive, he had a boring voice.

Bazooka

Oh yeah Paloma Faith and Duffy, launch their voice boxes into space as a warning to martians never to invade, we have sonic weapons of shit.

Brundle-Fly

I find Guy Garvey's voice a bit thin gruel; much like Elbow and his show on 6. I see he is a decent songwriter though and he seems like a decent bloke.  I feel rotten now.

jobotic

I'm with Wet Blanket on the shouters. Applies to rappers too. Why I could never really get into the Beastie Boys.

Kurt Cobain was as bad as any post-grunger for that raspy earnestness surely?

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 08, 2018, 11:51:09 AM
I find Guy Garvey's voice a bit thin gruel; much like Elbow and his show on 6. I see he is a decent songwriter though and he seems like a decent bloke.  I feel rotten now.

This is also my opinion on Paul Heaton

sevendaughters

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 08, 2018, 11:44:29 AM
That affected, grunting, faux-emotional, eggy warble post-grunge singers generally sing with. A kind of hybrid of James Hetfield, Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. Yer Nickelback dude is one of the obvious main offenders, but there are dozens of the cunts. The worst one was that cover of Simon & Garfunkel's Sound Of Silence done by Disturbed. Absolutely fucking awful.

apparently there's a word for that voice - ramanah

my all time least favourite voice is here (KING OF CATS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPlaxVjT3G4
never got past 57 seconds before.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 08, 2018, 11:55:47 AM
apparently there's a word for that voice - ramanah

my all time least favourite voice is here (KING OF CATS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPlaxVjT3G4
never got past 57 seconds before.

We have the winner.

sweeper

I can't bear Van Morrison's voice on 'Beside You.'

Just that song, though. I love a bit of VM.

greenman

Quote from: thraxx on June 07, 2018, 06:08:31 PM
Robert Plant is the weak link in Zeppelin. Biggest show off with the most to be modest about. Imagine what Zep would have sounded like with Ian Gillan or Ossie.

In the same vein Fred Fucking Schneider.

I find Gillian a lot more annoying personally although generally I find that hippish white man wailing "this is the aaaaaagggggggggeee of aquarius" style hard to take.

Plant I think had a lot more character/versatility to him than that.