Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:39:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Long forgotten bands of yesteryear

Started by MoonDust, June 07, 2018, 06:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

Randomly remembered my days of watching Kerrang in the 2000s and remembered the song "Pulse" by Mad Capsule Markets.

Looking back at the music video it's funny our utterly ridiculously mad it is. The band essentially characters in a shooting video game. OTT shoot outs.

To this day it remains literally the only song I've heard by Mad Capsule Markets. Googling them I'm astonished to find they've been around since the mid bloody 80s!

Also, sticking to old Kerrang shite. Who remembers A? They did "Nothing", and "Starbucks", and were fucking terrible.

Edit: Apparently A are still going. Well well.

Psmith

The Barbarians
With one handed drummer Moulty

Hey little bird

https://youtu.be/OOWC7lhuKtQ

Are you a boy or are you a girl

https://youtu.be/Sj8UxrnIcMM

Captain Crunch

Fat (which I was misremembering as F.A.T. - Fuck All That?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-LtQjMJuU

Those weren't the days. 

alan nagsworth

I have a couple of friends who are obsessed with Mad Capsule Markets and treat them as though they are incredibly pioneering for making music that fuses punk with jungle or whatever. They're absolutely fucking shit and they always have been. Anyone who thinks that band is groundbreaking only has that strong attachment to them from their youth and cannot view it objectively for the dog dirt that it is.

Bazooka

*Wild Mad Capsule Market Fan appeared*

I can't disuade nagsworth's point of view, but I have to go to work now, but I will be back as an MCM defender.

Bazooka

Good to see this thread didn't get many hits, due to the terrible opinions about the Mad Capsule Markets.

sevendaughters

SCOOTER!

*repetitive 4/4 kick rattling crap UPVC windows on my estate*

boki

MCM were alright.  A were dead good, though.  Gonna see them at Download on Sunday and they're on between Meshuggah and Less Than Jake, so I'm totally gonna party like it's 2002!

smudge1971

Why is this not called 'Who Recalls Piss-Weak Nu-Metal Bands of Yesteryear'?

BeardFaceMan

MCM were great (and not nu metal). Couldn't give a fuck about whether they are pioneers or groundbreaking, I just like the sound they make. Can't ask for more than that really.

boki

Quote from: smudge1971 on June 08, 2018, 04:43:51 PM
Why is this not called 'Who Recalls Piss-Weak Nu-Metal Bands of Yesteryear'?
Quote from: sevendaughters on June 08, 2018, 04:33:09 PM
SCOOTER!

*repetitive 4/4 kick rattling crap UPVC windows on my estate*

Famous Mortimer

I discovered that Scooter released an album called "Sheffield" , which is lovely.

alan nagsworth

Mate, Scooter are NOT long-forgotten. Not in my circle of mates anyway.

Also, FWIW, my beef with MCM doesn't solely lie with the fact that they're heralded as something I personally think they're not; I just find their music utterly drab. Then again, I really don't get on with much Japanese hard rock music at all.

buttgammon

I used to listen to both Mad Capsule Markets and A; I still think MCM were okay, but not something I'd listen to now. I had a longstanding dispute with a friend of mine, who hated A and used to enjoy taking the piss out of them at the same time that I liked them. A were shit with hindsight but I must credit them for creating a string of Alan Partridge references, including their Inner City Sumo tour. I reckon their name may even be a reference to the Christmas special of KMKY where Partridge starts talking in convoluted acronyms and Tony Hayers just says "a" instead of "a-ha" when he introduces him.

Come to think of it, although I used to like them (in my defence I was literally a child), A's singer could well go in the singers whose voices you utterly loathe thread.

New Jack

I still remember the Polyphonic Spree, and I'm not proud.

Sgt. Duckie

Mid nineties band Bennet. They had a song called Mum's Gone to Iceland which got to #34 in the singles chart.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: New Jack on June 18, 2018, 12:15:22 PM

I'm a big fan of them, live they're a huge amount of fun and their second album is something I still regularly listen to. Didn't get on with their last one which was a bit of a shame given that I donated to the kickstarter for it, but otherwise I've no complaints.

PaulTMA

Polyphonic Spree always struck me as to The Flaming Lips what someone like The Gyres were to Oasis

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: New Jack on June 18, 2018, 12:15:22 PM
Great band, ELO taken to its extreme

DukeDeMondo

I found myself listening to the first Crocketts album again the other day for whatever reason. The Crocketts, but. Most exciting band in the world for about three and a half days a thousand years ago. I thought Davey "Davey Crockett" MacManus was the coolest fucking bastard ever walked the fucking earth. Went to school with all pictures of him plastered all over my books, obsessed with him long before I ever got a chance to hear him.

"Will You Still Care" is just waiting to be rediscovered by the incels or whoever. Presumably someone has already told them that the demo given away free with The Big Issue a year or so prior to the release of We May Be Skinny And Wirey is far superior to the album version.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 18, 2018, 02:59:31 PM
I found myself listening to the first Crocketts album again the other day for whatever reason. The Crocketts, but. Most exciting band in the world for about three and a half days a thousand years ago. I thought Davey "Davey Crockett" MacManus was the coolest fucking bastard ever walked the fucking earth. Went to school with all pictures of him plastered all over my books, obsessed with him long before I ever got a chance to hear him.

"Will You Still Care" is just waiting to be rediscovered by the incels or whoever. Presumably someone has already told them that the demo given away free with The Big Issue a year or so prior to the release of We May Be Skinny And Wirey is far superior to the album version.

Good God, the Crocketts! I saw them live as part of some horrible Kerrang type all-dayer (shit, I think it was called The Lost Weekend, Henry Rollins played) and they were the only band I remotely enjoyed. Davey Crocket was painted silver and wouldn't fucking shut up. I had their first album but it wasn't anywyay near as good as they were that brief drunk horrible nu metal day.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 18, 2018, 02:59:31 PM

I loved Will You Still Care and regularly put it on various mix tapes that I made, but oddly never checked out anything else by the band. Which is odd.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 09, 2018, 03:51:04 AM
I discovered that Scooter released an album called "Sheffield" , which is lovely.

That album has a cover of Summer Wine by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood which is actually true to the original. You half expect it to all break down into "YES! SCOOTER! SUMMER WINE! TIME TO RHYME!" but it doesn't.

Famous Mortimer

I fucking love Scooter. The original "Logical Song" gets played a lot on my local classic rock station, so whenever it does I tell whoever I'm with "hey, have you heard the far superior cover?" then pop Scooter on. it's won few fans, but I don't care.

Ferris

The Cooper Temple Clause
Hundred Reasons
[spunge]

lebowskibukowski

Absolutely any of the bands from my late eighties rock/metal phase.

Little Angels, Slaughter, Kings X, Dan Reed Network, Babylon AD, Enuff Z'Nuff

hermitical

Kings X toured the UK a few months ago...

ASFTSN

Funeral For A Friend

Special Move

Capdown

Matter

Aqua

purlieu

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 19, 2018, 09:03:39 AM
Funeral For A Friend
Dunno, think they're fairly well remembered in certain circles. They only broke up a few years back and their last couple of records were (rightly) regarded among their best. They definitely never regained their commercial peak, but they had a fairly big audience until the end.
Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 19, 2018, 04:28:29 AM
The Cooper Temple Clause
Probably, because they always seem to pop up in lists of landfill indie bands, despite them being fairly experimental as these sorts of groups go. They're certainly not remembered for being a group who were heavily inspired by post-hardcore, industrial and IDM, which seems odd to me.