Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Long forgotten bands of yesteryear

Started by MoonDust, June 07, 2018, 06:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane Jones

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on June 19, 2018, 08:20:32 AM
Absolutely any of the bands from my late eighties rock/metal phase.

Little Angels, Slaughter, Kings X, Dan Reed Network, Babylon AD, Enuff Z'Nuff

Little Angels were the first band I saw live. I still own albums by them, Slaughter, Dan Reed Network and Enuff Z'Nuff. Seldom listen to them now, although Enuff's 'New Thing' gets spun occasionally when I'm drunk.

Kane Jones

Quote from: purlieu on June 19, 2018, 01:09:05 PM
Dunno, think they're fairly well remembered in certain circles. They only broke up a few years back and their last couple of records were (rightly) regarded among their best.

The concept album set on a ship was their best one. I really liked that when it came out (despite not being able to remember the name). Hours had a handful of corkers on it too.

purlieu

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 19, 2018, 01:13:48 PM
The concept album set on a ship was their best one. I really liked that when it came out (despite not being able to remember the name).
Tales Don't Tell Themselves? Interestingly, it's almost universally regarded as their worst album. Certainly their poppiest, which put off a lot of fans who got into them because of their hardcore roots. I never liked it, although I still have a soft spot for Hours, which is their other poppy album.
The only one of theirs I still own is a compilation of two early EPs though, although I might pick up their last album one day as it was rooted in early '90s post-hardcore and noise rock stuff which was an unexpected and surprisingly successful route for them to go down.

Kane Jones

Quote from: purlieu on June 19, 2018, 01:26:26 PM
Tales Don't Tell Themselves? Interestingly, it's almost universally regarded as their worst album. Certainly their poppiest, which put off a lot of fans who got into them because of their hardcore roots. I never liked it, although I still have a soft spot for Hours, which is their other poppy album.

Ah, well that'll be why I liked them. I don't really like the shouty emo stuff. My roots are more 80s influenced when it comes to rock/metal. I like singalong choruses. I bought their Casually Dressed album and the one after Tales and hated them both.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 19, 2018, 01:12:39 PM
Little Angels were the first band I saw live. I still own albums by them, Slaughter, Dan Reed Network and Enuff Z'Nuff. Seldom listen to them now, although Enuff's 'New Thing' gets spun occasionally when I'm drunk.

I occasionally have a listen to 'Tiger In A Dress' after a vodka or two

Kane Jones

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on June 19, 2018, 04:25:23 PM
I occasionally have a listen to 'Tiger In A Dress' after a vodka or two

Yeah, I like that one. It's like shitty Prince.

Keebleman

I never heard anything by them, but as I used to read Kerrang I remember that Little Angels had a member called Bruce Dickinson and that they used to be called Mr Thrud, which is a great name.

purlieu