Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hitman 2

Started by biggytitbo, June 07, 2018, 07:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

http://www.hitman.com/

November 13th! Very exciting, Hitman 2016 is a brilliant game, and underrated too, even the lesser levels are massively entertaining but the best ones - Paris, Sapienza and Hokkaido are amazing achievements and endlessly replayable.

First level in the new one seems to be an Indy car (?) race in Miami, with the possibilities for mischief looking pretty juicy.

Only downside is I presume they're going to release it episodically again, I'd prefer a full release.

bgmnts

It can't be as good as the original Hitman 2 but I am excited for this nevertheless.

biggytitbo

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin is good yeah. My hitman game rankings:

Hitman 2016
Blood Money
Contracts
Absolution
Silent Assassin
Codename 47

Although only really the first game is a bit ropey these days, the others are all great games imo. Pretty much a tie for the top two aswell.

brat-sampson

Not episodic! A win for the big tit monkey!

I'm shit at these games but always have a compulsion to restart the mission as soon as I get badly spotted. Means I enjoy the first few minutes of a mission a few times before giving up and doing something else. I do really admire their sandboxes though and they can be very fun to watch streamers with more sticktoitivness muddle through.

Noodle Lizard

I definitely got more into Hitman (2016) once everything was available.  The episodic thing didn't work for me, I don't think, I needed the option of giving up on one location and moving onto another.  The idea of introducing multiple missions for the same location was a good one, since each of the main missions has at least one bit I really can never be arsed with (basically forced to infiltrate the auction in Paris, having to destroy the virus in Sapienza etc.)  I barely ever play the Marrakesh or Colorado levels, though the Marrakesh at night bonus mission was decent.  There are still loads of irritations and shoddiness, and a fair amount of it feels unfinished, but the bones for a truly great game are there.  I hope they've used it all as a learning experience (they seem pretty engaged with fan criticism) and that the second one will be the true bee's knees.  Glad to see they've apparently reintroduced the sniper rifle briefcase as well.

EDIT: One other thing I'd say about (2016) is that getting Silent Assassin with accidental deaths (which is always what I aim for) often felt quite inorganic.  Since you basically have to replay the level a whole bunch of times to figure out how to do it and then get it right, it almost felt like you were cheating the system rather than pulling off a genuine hit.  Granted, it's a videogame, but I hope they can find a way to incorporate a more streamlined or realistic approach without being too forgiving.  Maybe targets who aren't just on a looping path, that could be interesting.

Jerzy Bondov

The lack of the briefcase in Hitman 2016 is a disgrace. With it making a triumphant return here we could be about to finally get the definitive Hitman experience.

Noodle Lizard

I also hope they bring back the human shield mechanic, as well as being able to shove folk down the stairs.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 08, 2018, 09:38:01 AM
basically forced to infiltrate the auction in Paris

There are loads of ways of killing her without doing that, you can sneak into her room or disguise yourself as the lookalike fashion model, or a waiter, at the very least.

I barely ever play the Marrakesh or Colorado levels

Colorado gets a lot of stick, and it is the weakest level but its also loads of fun when it spirals out of control and becomes a bit of a farce with you running around the house and hiding in chest freezers etc.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 10:13:33 AM

There are loads of ways of killing her without doing that, you can sneak into her room or disguise yourself as the lookalike fashion model, or a waiter, at the very least.

Aye, I just meant you had to get up to that penthouse where the auction was happening.  Not much diversity in how to kill her either.

My favorite method is setting off the fireworks and then shoving her off the balcony onto the other bloke.  Good fun, but I don't think you get SA for it.

biggytitbo

Is there any way of killing her downstairs?

The Paris level also has a great Home Alone inspired bonus level, where a magic Santa appears who you can club to death and dress up as.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 10:53:00 AM
Is there any way of killing her downstairs?

Not that I know of, although I'm sure there's a convoluted way of managing to snipe her.  But yeah, that, the virus in Sapienza and the heart surgery bloke in Hokkaido are all more tedious than they are fun, and force you into rather dull hostile areas of the map where nothing else really happens.  Which is a shame because they're also easily the best levels.

Bhazor

My problem with Hitman 2016 was how ham fisted they handled "opportunities". The big problem being how they'd give you a dozen different ways for an accidental death rather than a single well crafted accidental death. There was nothing that was as satisfying as the stage death in Blood Money.

Still it did have some of the best living worlds I've seen in a game. So much detail and care especially with the Italian town.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Bhazor on June 08, 2018, 11:21:26 AM
My problem with Hitman 2016 was how ham fisted they handled "opportunities". The big problem being how they'd give you a dozen different ways for an accidental death rather than a single well crafted accidental death. There was nothing that was as satisfying as the stage death in Blood Money.

Still it did have some of the best living worlds I've seen in a game. So much detail and care especially with the Italian town.

Thats why its so replayable though? The Sapienza level literally has dozens of ways of approaching it. It's also the first hitman game to get to the stage where the levels are so massive and expansive that you can just fuck about in them without even doing the missions properly.

Lemming

The opportunities were cool but they felt like they relied heavily on you enabling the quest compass to be shown exactly where to go and what to do rather than discovering it organically, and a lot of them leave you sort of locked in to a fairly pre-planned series of events when you start them (the camera crew one springs to mind, I think if you choose to use that to access the embassy, you're basically stuck with 5 minutes of awkward interactive cutscenes before you inevitably drop the statue on the target). You could say that's my fault for enabling that feature rather than exploring myself, but I had no idea what the fuck was going on in some of those levels, whereas in Blood Money stumbling upon potential assassination opportunities and seeing cool ways to access places felt a lot easier.

It's a great game though. The Paris level was my favourite by far, if only for the ridiculous push-first-target-over-balcony-on-to-second-target thing mentioned above. I also liked Absolution, discrediting my opinion on the entire franchise.

Sherman Krank

There's a second short trailer on Steam going on about some new co-op mode but it's brief on detail.

Steam are also saying this...
QuoteSYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 / Radeon HD 7870
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 60 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
OS: OS 64-bit Windows 7 / 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1) or Windows 10
Processor: Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz / AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770 / AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
Storage: 60 GB available space
...which seems like bollocks as it's identical to the last game except for an extra 10Gb of HD space.
My PC is almost halfway between those two recs so if that's not bollocks I might be able to run it to a playable level.

Boring games to me. Like going the supermarket and watching what some other guys are buying then going the disabled bogs and climbing out the window. Have you robbed anythin? No. Just being wierd. That's how it feels to me.

Bhazor

Quote from: Sherman Krank on June 08, 2018, 06:47:44 PM
There's a second short trailer on Steam going on about some new co-op mode but it's brief on detail.

Thats for the Sniper Challenge bonus preorder DLC like what Absolution got.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sherman Krank on June 08, 2018, 06:47:44 PM
Steam are also saying this......which seems like bollocks as it's identical to the last game except for an extra 10Gb of HD space.
Why would it be very different?

Space ghost

Quote from: Lemming on June 08, 2018, 04:18:39 PM
The opportunities were cool but they felt like they relied heavily on you enabling the quest compass to be shown exactly where to go and what to do rather than discovering it organically, and a lot of them leave you sort of locked in to a fairly pre-planned series of events when you start them (the camera crew one springs to mind, I think if you choose to use that to access the embassy, you're basically stuck with 5 minutes of awkward interactive cutscenes before you inevitably drop the statue on the target). You could say that's my fault for enabling that feature rather than exploring myself, but I had no idea what the fuck was going on in some of those levels, whereas in Blood Money stumbling upon potential assassination opportunities and seeing cool ways to access places felt a lot easier.

It's a great game though. The Paris level was my favourite by far, if only for the ridiculous push-first-target-over-balcony-on-to-second-target thing mentioned above. I also liked Absolution, discrediting my opinion on the entire franchise.

You're kind of restricting yourself a bit there, you're perfectly free to just bugger off round the embassy almost as soon as you've made your camera crew based ingress. In fact doing that is quite an easy way to set in motion the chain of events that sees the embassy target heading off to meet the General face to face in the tunnel that connects the embassy and the school building.

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 08, 2018, 06:49:49 PM
Boring games to me. Like going the supermarket and watching what some other guys are buying then going the disabled bogs and climbing out the window. Have you robbed anythin? No. Just being wierd. That's how it feels to me.

The Hitman games are at the bare minimum the funniest games ever made, situations spiraling into total chaos and barely making it out alive are a total joy, probably more so than doing the missions 'correctly'.

That's how I feel goin the shops drunk, it is great laugh to be fair

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Zetetic on June 08, 2018, 07:01:50 PM
Why would it be very different?
Because the last game was two years ago and while Moore's law ain't what it was it still seems to be in effect to some extent. Most of the other AAA titles released in the last few months are looking for 4Gb GPU's and much beefier CPU's.

biggytitbo

I managed to play the 2016 Hitman game on a NUC, so it's obviously quite a well  optimised engine. IO have always been miracle workers like this, still marvel at how they got Blood Money working so well on  PS2, especially the Mardi Gras level with its massive crowds, no other game managed anything like that in that generation. Absolution was a pretty great looking game too.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 08:13:42 PM
IO have always been miracle workers like this, still marvel at how they got Blood Money working so well on  PS2, especially the Mardi Gras level with its massive crowds, no other game managed anything like that in that generation. Absolution was a pretty great looking game too.
All true, great bunch of lads (episodic releasing aside). Even on the 360 that Mardi Gras level was a bit of a jaw dropper at the time.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 08, 2018, 06:49:49 PM

I feel the opposite. Blood Money is one of my favourite games of all time, precisely because of how thrilling it was to execute a perfect assassination. Tracking a victim through Mardi Gras, creeping into a room opposite the building he had entered, knocking out a man watching his TV, then sniping your target from the living room, in the 5 seconds where he walks past a window. The music, the atmosphere, the variety of ways you could kill them; it felt cinematic and immersive in a way that very few games have managed. 

biggytitbo

Quote from: Kelvin on June 08, 2018, 10:41:51 PM
I feel the opposite. Blood Money is one of my favourite games of all time, precisely because of how thrilling it was to execute a perfect assassination. Tracking a victim through Mardi Gras, creeping into a room opposite the building he had entered, knocking out a man watching his TV, then sniping your target from the living room, in the 5 seconds where he walks past a window. The music, the atmosphere, the variety of ways you could kill them; it felt cinematic and immersive in a way that very few games have managed.

Have you played Hitman 2016 yet? It's very much the spiritual successor to Blood Money, rather than Absolution. Paris and Sapienza are Blood Money levels x10.

Kelvin

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 10:59:21 PM

Have you played Hitman 2016 yet? It's very much the spiritual successor to Blood Money, rather than Absolution. Paris and Sapienza are Blood Money levels x10.

Unfortunately not. Hitman is one of the few series I play every entry of - I even liked a lot about Absolution, when taken on it's own terms. My PC graphics card died a while back, though, so I haven't had a chance to play 2016 yet. I absolutely will, though.   

I think the interlocking systems and the creative opportunities are quite staggering, I just find them mechanically not very stimulating and I generally can't bear stealth/waiting for the right moment type stuff. I'm too impatient to get the most out of it. The idea of it is more interesting than the execution, to my tastes. It is bloody interesting, though.

New Jack

It's a bit clockwork, but I liked the 2016 one. Spent hours arsing about in Sapienza, doing my own challenges such as garrotte the clown, poison the clown, and poison-then-garrotte the clown

They really need more voice actors though. For such great level design, the immersion gets a bit trampled by the voices being the same four or so Americans. Or maybe Paris is getting gentrified to fuck