Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brighton

Started by Black Ship, June 07, 2018, 08:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Ship

Planning to go for a weekend in Brighton in early September. Any advice about things to do, places to see, would be most welcome.

Janie Jones

2012 Brighton thread here (beware ghosts, though)
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,31463.0.html
It's more about living there than staying  for a few days but still, it gives you a CaB-tinged flavour of the place.

zomgmouse

The old pier
The new pier
Some good ice-cream
A lane with markets in it
The Royal Pavilion

Stoneage Dinosaurs

There's a whole fuckload of nice clothes and foreign food places if you find the right streets (west of the main high street and south of the station I think). The beach is nice too

Disclaimer: I went to Brighton for less than a day and had to leave early cause the trains were fucked up from snow. Take my perspective with a pinch of salt. It is a lovely city though, much better than Leicester or Cambridge, i'd live there in a fortnight if not for it being a pain in the arsehole.

Never been to Hove, guessing it's much the same. I dunno, can you 'hove" a lovely time in Hove? 😅😅😅👍🌞

mothman

Though I lived nearby for many years, my Brighton knowledge is 15 years out of date now. But I always enjoyed Tex-Mex restaurant Dig In The Ribs on Preston Street; but if that's not your thing, many other good places to eat on that road.

Vodka Margarine

Walks - Devils Dyke, Ditchling Beacon
Museums - Booth Museum of Natural History, the charming Toy Museum underneath the train station
Parks - Preston Park with its lovely Rotunda cafe, the scenic St Ann's Wells, Hove Park
Pubs - The tiny and lovely Hand In Hand for ales, excellent all-rounder The Robin Hood
Record Shop - Resident in Kensington Gardens
Cinemas - Duke of York's, Komedia
General oddness - North Laine, St James's Street, Kemp Town in general
Avoid - West Street, i360, Days restaurant, the beach around the Palace Pier, Western Road unless using it to get to Hove or back to central Brighton, Marina 'village'.

kittens

nicked a lego bloke from the lego shop there. not worth your time if you wanna make serious money. no one buys a nicked lego bloke for more than 20p. nick a million of them i guess. starting to think i should read more than just the thread title

Dr Rock

As beaches go, it's shit isn't it?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

kittens

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: kittens on June 08, 2018, 12:22:17 AM
CLASSIC GAG LADS
CLASSIC GAG

Got 100 more of the fuckers, all based around "beach" sounding like a bad word for a lady. Watch this space

Bhazor

Stay away from the indoor mall. Garbage.

Make sure you visit the giant Bravissimo banner ad though.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 08, 2018, 12:20:14 AM
As beaches go, it's shit isn't it?

Weirdly this is the only beach I've ever liked. I enjoyed the warm rocks in the sun and the fact that there's no sand. I must have gone on a fairly quiet time too as it wasn't teeming with crowds. Very calming it was.

jobotic

On the nudie beach were you? Like the feel of the warm rocks against your balls did you? Yeah I bet you did.

zomgmouse

Quote from: jobotic on June 08, 2018, 06:30:58 AM
On the nudie beach were you? Like the feel of the warm rocks against your balls did you? Yeah I bet you did.

It was just a regular clothed beach. Stop being a PERVERT.

jobotic

No, don't want to.

Neomod

Quote from: Bhazor on June 08, 2018, 01:10:54 AM
Stay away from the indoor mall. Garbage.

Make sure you visit the giant Bravissimo banner ad though.

Churchill Square was so much better in it's 1970's heyday.

The record album up by the station is always worth a visit.

Unfortunately the wimpy bar on Western road is gone so no Wimpy for you.

greenman

As a Palace fan I'd have to recommend against it, spend the weekend in sunny Croydon instead.

Brundle-Fly

Don't forget your I-Spy Book Of Famous People Who Live In Brighton Because They Needed To Get Out Of London And It's Essentially Hampstead By The Sea.

http://bjournal.co/10-celebrities-you-might-bump-into-in-brighton/

Bhazor

Churchill Square isn't all bad. Had my first Greggs there. Plus a Whittard.

jobotic

There's an alright venue by Churchill Square, can't remember what it's called.

I've been going for years and about twenty years ago we would always have a drink in The Regency, also near Churchill Square. It was a right laugh  but no idea what it's like now. It's still there though.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: jobotic on June 08, 2018, 11:27:30 AM
There's an alright venue by Churchill Square, can't remember what it's called.

I've been going for years and about twenty years ago we would always have a drink in The Regency, also near Churchill Square. It was a right laugh  but no idea what it's like now. It's still there though.

If you see more than four people in The Regency at once these days, i'd consider that a busy night. Nice chandeliers, though

Action Fish

There's a bar on the seafront that I remember nothing about
Ben Dover's Brighton Babewatch was filmed there so you could do a location tour
Momma Cherri from Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares had a restaurant there but it shut
I think it was Brighton where I ate reindeer but it wasn't all that tbh
The very first Brighton bombing took place in September and I think they might have a festival
My ex-girlfriend lives there now; she's quite nice
There's a picture framers

Sorry, it's been a while since I went.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Action Fish on June 08, 2018, 12:25:15 PM
There's a bar on the seafront that I remember nothing about

Fortune of War?

There is/was a strip club in Hove.  A man in a stab proof vest answers the door and assesses your group of legends for sartorial effort.  He then lets you in with a roll of the eyes and a tut.  You pay your £20 and go downstairs and you take your seats while lots of pneumatic Bada Bing ladies do dances with dead eyes.  You are told in no uncertain terms that you are not to leave your seat and you must raise your hand should you need a piss, sort of like a school exam.  You stay for 20 minutes and think fuck this, at least we ticked the stag night box and resume your pleasant times outside.  I recommend this wholeheartedly.

Pubs: Take your pick, most of them are decent, my local is The Evening Star near the station which is very reasonably priced and was where Dark Star was founded.

Food: If you want amazing ice cream go to Boho Gelato (fucking terrible name I know) which is just next to the coach stops, they make some brilliant flavours.
Next door to Boho Gelato is a place called Happy Maki that makes vegan sushi burritos which are splendid.  Burger Brothers make some of the best burgers in the UK, pricey but a cut above everything else.
There's a Belgian fries place called Befries just across from Waterstones in the centre and it's fucking lush.
There are two curry places well worth a visit: The Chilli Pickle and Curry Leaf Cafe, both are excellent and a cut above the standard curry house archetype.
If you're in the Seven Dials area then Murasaki does great Japanese food.

Stuff to look at/do: Just bimbling around the lanes/laine looking at all the little shops seems to be what most people do.
Visit the Pavilion although 5 years after moving here, I still have yet to do this.
Go and visit Beachy head if you have a car.
There's always stuff going on at the seafront, vintage car rallies, scooter rallies etc etc

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 08, 2018, 01:27:17 PM

There are two curry places well worth a visit: The Chilli Pickle and Curry Leaf Cafe, both are excellent and a cut above the standard curry house archetype.

Yer man is half right. Curry Leaf Cafe is very good, but I find The Chilli Pickle somewhat over-rated.
Get a table at Senor Buddha instead. Lush.

For pubs, avoid The Railway Bell near the station like the plague, and avoid West Street entirely unless you are fifteen years old.

Neomod

Depends when you are going but the actor Sting recreates his 'bellboy' role outside The Grand Hotel on the fourth Thursday of each month.

Neville Chamberlain

The Prince George is a lovely old veggie boozer. That's where I usually end up whenever I'm down Brighton way.

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on June 08, 2018, 01:40:36 PM
Yer man is half right. Curry Leaf Cafe is very good, but I find The Chilli Pickle somewhat over-rated.

If anything I find the Curry Leaf Cafe a little bit overpriced and over-rated, still excellent though.

Planet India is a good one too although it gets very busy and is vegetarian only if that is any hindrance.

If vegan food is what you want in your pub/bar, then I'd recommend The Hope & Ruin and The Pipeline.

Neville Chamberlain

Aye, The Hope & Ruin is good. Never been to The Pipeline.