Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator (2019)

Started by St_Eddie, June 08, 2018, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

The next Terminator movie is currently filming and is set for a November 22nd, 2019 release.  James Cameron is producing, with Tim Miller (Deadpool) directing.  The story is a continuation from Terminator 2, which will retcon the pre-exisiting sequels to said movie.

===============================================================================

Linda Hamilton returns as Sarah Connor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like we'll also be seeing the the return of a young Arnold Schwarzenegger and Edward Furlong, brought back to our screens via the juju of the uncanny valley.

===============================================================================

What are your thoughts?  Personally, I wish that they'd just leave well enough alone.  Yet, I'm inclined to think that this may well be a marked improvement upon Terminator 3, Salvation and Genisys.  That's not saying much though.

bgmnts

Stupid.

It seems like the film industry is to content to just keep throwing shit at a wall.

Gregory Torso

I will enjoy this only if modern day Edward Furlong and Arnie are cast, wheezing and waddling around, struggling to get up on motorbikes, soiling their underwear and just giving up saying fuck it I can't run anymore, Robert Patrick just knife me in the head with your long sharp hands.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 08, 2018, 03:22:06 AM
I will enjoy this only if modern day Edward Furlong and Arnie are cast, wheezing and waddling around, struggling to get up on motorbikes, soiling their underwear and just giving up saying fuck it I can't run anymore, Robert Patrick just knife me in the head with your long sharp hands.

a duncandisorderly

it's a fucking terrible idea to keep thrashing around with the same characters & to try to undo the dead-horse-flog of the franchise. there will never be a better scifi/horror movie than the first one, though the second was a great flick too. that's where it should've stopped.

that said, I enjoyed the almost-70s-style tv show*, which filled the gap between the second movie &... well, who knows? what's regarded as canon now?

I wish 'terminal salivation' had been done properly (i.e. no HBC for a start), & that the one with the vet & the one with phil collins had never happened.

(* "sometimes they go wrong. no-one knows why." great line. summer glau.)

St_Eddie

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 08, 2018, 03:39:46 AM
it's a fucking terrible idea to keep thrashing around with the same characters & to try to undo the dead-horse-flog of the franchise. there will never be a better scifi/horror movie than the first one, though the second was a great flick too. that's where it should've stopped.

I agree but if they absolutely insist on making more Terminator movies, then I wish that they'd return to the series' horror roots.  Likewise, if they absolutely must have Arnold Schwarzenegger back for a sequel, then have him play the bad guy again.  At least that would feel somewhat novel at this point.  Still, the best course of action would be to simply not bother at all, of course.

Replies From View

The Sarah Connor Chronicles had some potential, pretty daft but got the spirit right and I think it's a shame they axed it.  I'm guessing it was axed because Terminator Salvation was going ahead and the studio didn't want them clashing?

I must say I am curious about this new movie, the same way I am curious about all the sequels.  It's fascinating how many botched first films of unmade new trilogies they can keep churning out.

phantom_power

Why do they need to keep revisiting the same characters? Surely there is more than one robot and more than two resistance fighters? Tell someone else's story in the same world

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on June 08, 2018, 07:41:35 AM
Why do they need to keep revisiting the same characters? Surely there is more than one robot and more than two resistance fighters? Tell someone else's story in the same world

This is why the TV series was more interesting, at least in concept.

Replies From View

I love that they needed a child actor with Edward Furlong's exact hair, even though they'll be CGI-ing the arse out of his face.

biggytitbo

They should do my idea where its like the original Terminator but the entire film is just the part where he's bare and you see a bit of willy as he walks around.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 08, 2018, 07:46:20 AM
I love that they needed a child actor with Edward Furlong's exact hair, even though they'll be CGI-ing the arse out of his face.

Well, it's easier to have a physical likeness to the original actor, to base the CGI work off of, hence why that kid also has a facial similarity to Edward Furlong.

biggytitbo

The man looks nought like Arnie Schwarzenegger though.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 08, 2018, 08:22:40 AM
Well, it's easier to have a physical likeness to the original actor, to base the CGI work off of, hence why that kid also has a facial similarity to Edward Furlong.

Still funny though.

I want it to be a thing where they have to trace really carefully around the hair and they keep getting it wrong.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 08:17:17 AM
They should do my idea where its like the original Terminator but the entire film is just the part where he's bare and you see a bit of willy as he walks around.

That would be a good twist.  A Terminator Genisys style "what if" story where the scenario is "what if the T-800 was never able to get clothes on that first day?"

Do you reckon he would spend the rest of his mission time trying (and failing) to sort out clothes for himself, or would he give up on that and do the mission nude?  Maybe those alternatives could get a film each.

biggytitbo

He would continue and fail to find clothes for the whole film. Not a comedy, but some big laughs.

mrfridge

So Sarah Connor has aged as you'd expect in the last twenty odd years but little Eddie Furlong/John Connor is exactly the same age (if not slightly younger than) he was in 1991? How the fuck does that work? Time travel? LEAVE IT!

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 08:30:02 AM
He would continue and fail to find clothes for the whole film. Not a comedy, but some big laughs.

Is he trying to get Sarah Connor, or does that objective not kick in due to a lack of clothes?

I am asking whether he is spending the film nude and trying to get Sarah Connor, or nude and contriving an endless number of failed methods to steal people's clothes, like a clothes-obsessed Wile E. Coyote.

I personally want both.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on June 08, 2018, 08:36:02 AM
Is he trying to get Sarah Connor, or does that objective not kick in due to a lack of clothes?

I am asking whether he is spending the film nude and trying to get Sarah Connor, or nude and contriving an endless number of failed methods to steal people's clothes, like a clothes-obsessed Wile E. Coyote.

The latter, but like I said its not a comedy. You can't have a film these days where a nude cyborg chases an elderly woman for 2 hours, not in the current political climate.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 08:36:44 AM
The latter, but like I said its not a comedy. You can't have a film these days where a nude cyborg chases an elderly woman for 2 hours, not in the current political climate.

Also the Terminator movies have crossed too far into self-referential parody lately.  A very gritty, somber film about a nude T-800 falling to obtain clothes is what the franchise needs right now.

If it's set in 1984 Sarah Connor wouldn't be elderly though.  I can understand your confusion with people looking so much older back then.

biggytitbo

It's set in 1995 if it follows on from T2. People were more forgiving of nude men in 1995 but it's still very embarrassing for the Terminator that everyone in Los Angeles can see his willy due to his inability to find clothes. I think in one scene he finally finds clothes but when he puts them on they're much too small and they all rip and yet again everyone can see his bum and willy.

phantom_power

Quote from: Replies From View on June 08, 2018, 07:43:35 AM
This is why the TV series was more interesting, at least in concept.

Yeah I really liked the TV series

olliebean

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 08:30:02 AM

Didn't Marlon Wayans already make that film?

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 08:49:44 AM
It's set in 1995 if it follows on from T2. People were more forgiving of nude men in 1995 but it's still very embarrassing for the Terminator that everyone in Los Angeles can see his willy due to his inability to find clothes. I think in one scene he finally finds clothes but when he puts them on they're much too small and they all rip and yet again everyone can see his bum and willy.

Yes I guess Sarah Connor would be elderly by 1995.

In the scene where the clothes rip it's really important for the T-800 not to do any kind of vexed face.  I hope the director communicates this to Schwarzenegger.  He tends to do a lot of gurning nowadays unless he is explicitly told not to.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 08:24:33 AM
The man looks nought like Arnie Schwarzenegger though.

It's the same stunt double that they used for Genisys.  As you can see, he looks a lot more like Schwarzenegger once he's shaved and styled his hair...

biggytitbo

I thought the previous Arnie was all CGI. 80s Arnie has to be the easiest perso to CGI considering he already looked like he was generated  by a computer.

Quote from: Replies From View on June 08, 2018, 08:59:13 AM
Yes I guess Sarah Connor would be elderly by 1995.

In the scene where the clothes rip it's really important for the T-800 not to do any kind of vexed face.  I hope the director communicates this to Schwarzenegger.  He tends to do a lot of gurning nowadays unless he is explicitly told not to.

Yes, it has to be played totally straight otherwise it would spoil it, the gurning started as early as T2 and he should stop. Terminators never gurn, its in their protocols.

SteveDave

Would the Terminator have a cock and balls? I would think they'd Ken smooth down there.

biggytitbo

The Terminator does have a 'cock and balls' yes, you get a glimpse in the first film. His anus is painted on though, as we have discussed previously.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 09:18:02 AM
The Terminator does have a 'cock and balls' yes, you get a glimpse in the first film. His anus is painted on though, as we have discussed previously.

Actually biggy is wrong about the anus.  To be a convincing infiltration unit a T-800 needs a fully functioning anus.  Troops will be suspicious if they never witness a muscleman shitting.

biggytitbo

The Terminator has no digestive system or lower intestine so there is no point it having an anus so the anus is painted on as we have already confirmed.