Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator (2019)

Started by St_Eddie, June 08, 2018, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spamwangler

biggytitbo

I was 8 during the run up to the original Terminator and I remember there was a Barry Norman film '84 special where they focused on the special effects on the film and how they'd painted the anus on the T-800 to save money, and how Cameron had rewritten the script in order to incorporate the fact this model of Terminator had a painted on anus as a money saving measure.

samadriel

Does Arnold Schwarzenegger have a real anus?

St_Eddie

Quote from: samadriel on June 10, 2018, 05:18:13 AM
Does Arnold Schwarzenegger have a real anus?

He claims that he does but also says that he stores it in a vault for safe keeping.  Only he knows the combination, so who knows (other than Schwarzenegger himself)?

SavageHedgehog

I'm cautiously, maybe not quite optimistic, but at least intrigued by this. I know all of film and maybe even human history has taught us not to think this way, but that Cameron is reviving it so soon after the previous film got a commercial and emotional shrug from all and sundry (outside of China) has me hoping that he's had an interesting story or at least concept percolating in his brain all those years that he didn't have the rights. Not too impressed/interested in all the CGIing people to make them look like their 1991 selves business, but hopefully that's a scene or two and not the crux of it.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 10, 2018, 05:50:15 AM
He claims that he does but also says that he stores it in a vault for safe keeping.  Only he knows the combination, so who knows (other than Schwarzenegger himself)?

What is the combination to Arnold Schwarzenegger's anus?

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 09, 2018, 11:13:53 PM
I was 8 during the run up to the original Terminator and I remember there was a Barry Norman film '84 special where they focused on the special effects on the film and how they'd painted the anus on the T-800 to save money, and how Cameron had rewritten the script in order to incorporate the fact this model of Terminator had a painted on anus as a money saving measure.

Oh yes; I would have been four years old at the time, but my Dad taped that Barry Norman '84 special, and I somehow ended up watching it roughly four years later when I was also eight, or maybe a bit older, probably nine or ten when my cognitive abilities would have been slightly sharper than your eight year old ones.

In that special I distinctly remember James Cameron using a hollow biro tube to indicate various body parts of the T-800; he indicated the eyes, which he tapped very sharply with the biro tube (remember that bit?  Cameron calling the T-800 an "unblinking motherfucker!!"), some parts of the skull where metal was showing (he made some crass joke about wishing his sister-in-law would suffer the same fate), the frontal genital or "penis and testicles" (as I learned they were called because of this feature), and of course the real anus of the T-800. 

Cameron explained at length about how the T-800 would need a real anus within the reality of the film, but 'behind the scenes' they were uncertain as to whether they should mould the anus properly or simply paint it on, since most of the anus shots of the T-800 in the first film would be purely aesthetic rather than functional.  This might be where your confusion with the painted-on anus came from originally? 

Moments later though James Cameron took his biro tube and inserted it swiftly up the T-800's anus, indicating that they had indeed moulded it realistically and not simply painted it on, as "the camera never lies" and "sharp-eyed viewers of the late 20th century would immediately spot a painted-on anus, in the same way that we are programmed to recognise when faces aren't real".

Replies From View

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 10, 2018, 11:19:00 AM
that Cameron is reviving it so soon after the previous film got a commercial and emotional shrug from all and sundry (outside of China) has me hoping that he's had an interesting story or at least concept percolating in his brain all those years that he didn't have the rights.

How long will Cameron retain the rights now that he has them?  I'd like to think that the timing of this film relates to creative decisions rather than a need to plough forward before somebody else gains the rights to make Terminator stuff.

I am going to give you both the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is actually a wry lampoon of the way that people tend to go over the same old talking points in discussions of tired franchises like Terminator, Aliens, etc.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 08, 2018, 02:30:19 AM
What are your thoughts?

I think it will be... not good!

The public already indicated their disinterest when Genisys flopped. And that was only three years ago. I doubt audiences will have changed their minds when 2019 comes around.

popcorn

David Foster Williams piece arguing why Terminator 1 is better than Terminator 2. I think he's too harsh on T2, but as a T1-lover I agree with the general thrust, especially the lameness of the father-son bonding stuff, and his praise for T1's mood: "the dense, greasy, marvelously machinelike look of T1's mechanized F/X" and the "noirish lighting and Dexedrine pace".

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: popcorn on June 10, 2018, 07:21:19 PM
David Foster Williams piece arguing why Terminator 1 is better than Terminator 2. I think he's too harsh on T2, but as a T1-lover I agree with the general thrust, especially the lameness of the father-son bonding stuff, and his praise for T1's mood: "the dense, greasy, marvelously machinelike look of T1's mechanized F/X" and the "noirish lighting and Dexedrine pace".

agreed, he's a bit hard on it, but I suppose he's compensating for the flick's massive box-office & critical success. how many oscars? I'd forgotten that... I remember reading that its catering budget was bigger than the entire budget for some other biggish movie that year.

in one of the annoying footnotes, he makes a good point, or starts to anyway, about GAH & cameron's handling of female leads. we sat in the office just the other night & watched the first two 'alien' movies back-to-back (we have them in the library at work, & they were playing out on the spanish channel; a few months ago when they first came in, we watched all four in one sitting).

weaver actually saves both flicks- the first, because of scott's (usual) inept handling of actors- she does what she does in spite of the director, not because of him, while he's dicking around with the props... & the second because cameron gives her the camera so often, & lets her act. despite all the set-piece effects stuff, there are loads of close-ups in 'aliens'. it's not aged well, but it's still a cracking flick.

& back to T2... the development of hamilton's character is deftly handled, given that there's little scope (in the context of the story he's trying to tell) for exploration of the intervening years. this is where the other flicks (soon, hopefully, to be declared non-canon) fail miserably.

I'd argue that the strong female lead is essential to making the audience consider how skynet comes about. indeed LH has a speech in T2 that addresses this directly; it's almost as if the blokes that made ROTM, salivation & the one with peter gabriel just fast-forwarded through this part (the immediate aftermath of the shooting at dyson's home), like it didn't matter. it's the whole fucking point, at least in cameron's opinion, same as when sig-wev goes into one about 'the corporation' in the alien flicks. in ROTM, these concerns are reduced to a cypher, while the 'we must do something feminist' bit is addressed by having a female terminator in a leather catsuit. ffs.

back to DFW- he's critical, in a negative way, of the huge 'risk' that the studio took in paying for so much CGI (& he also finds this ironic, given the flick's topic, & this is just silly of him), as though the studio execs didn't know what they were doing. he's almost "what if it hadn't paid off?", but his whole schtick is predicated on that  I've got DFW's book, pimped at the base of this piece, & I found it smug & annoying for the most part

he finds furlong irritating... "rooting vigorously for him to be Terminated". well, get up & walk out then, chump. but that's John Connor. there are, to be fair, a couple of bits where the lad is clearly a bit self-conscious.

he also (in another of the annoying footnotes that break up his prose) complains about arnie's insistence on the plot twist of the 101 coming back as the good guy; not only does he think this is "ungrateful" of arnie, whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean, but he bitches that it was telegraphed & spoiled the movie for the audience.
well, I've got news for him- it didn't spoil it for me, & hamilton's reactions to the 101 when she first sees it & at later points in the movie are pitch-perfect. I didn't find it cheesy at all.
the cheesy bit is the thumb-up at the very end, &... well, it's a blockbuster movie, not a fucking documentary.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 03:21:11 PM
EXPLAIN HOW THE TERMINATOR FARTS ITS GOT NO DIGESTIVE TRACT AND DOESNT EAT ANYTHING.

If for some unlikely reason the Terminator needed to simulate a fart, I'm sure his internal speaker has a database of various types of fart noises which he could play.

It can have a little compartment just inside its anus that releases a fart every once in a while no?

Gradual Decline

Hope the new Terminator can spunk off.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Gradual Decline on June 10, 2018, 11:30:40 PM

"I have detailed files on human anatomy"

Blumf

In the 40 Watt range, yes.

biggytitbo

The Terminator is not a sex toy.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 11, 2018, 07:06:33 AM

The Terminator is not a sex toy.

Oh please, the grown adults buying Terminator figurines can call them 'collectables' all they want but let's face it, they're sex toys.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 10, 2018, 06:35:43 PMI am going to give you both the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is actually a wry lampoon of the way that people tend to go over the same old talking points in discussions of tired franchises like Terminator, Aliens, etc.

I think that's extremely generous of you.

St_Eddie

New set photos, for all three people who give a shit...

Christine Hamilton makes her eagerly awaited return to the Terminator franchise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mackenzie Crook has never looked better!

mothman

That hairstyle is all wrong, are they going to CGI the ponytail too?

Malcy

I enjoyed Genisys for the most part so looking forward to the new one a bit but not as excited as i would have been years ago.

Operty1

Is Arnie still going to be in this? He's still recovering from open heart surgery, perhaps he'll just be purely CGI. Or perhaps Skynet has programmed the Terminators to not only age (like Pops in the last movie) but also to have coronary problems.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Operty1 on June 22, 2018, 05:24:29 PM
Is Arnie still going to be in this? He's still recovering from open heart surgery, perhaps he'll just be purely CGI. Or perhaps Skynet has programmed the Terminators to not only age (like Pops in the last movie) but also to have coronary problems.

Yeah, Schwarzenegger's in this, as a part of the care in the community programme.

Sebastian Cobb

Mackenzie Crook is great in everything she does.

It still seems like a film that shouldn't be made though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 09, 2018, 11:13:53 PM

I videoed the terminator 2 when it was broadcast on bbc and happened to be off sick the next day so watched it. It shat me right up because the 1997 judgement day was right around the corner.

28 10 I was.

mothman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2018, 11:23:27 PM
Mackenzie Crook is great in everything she does.

I like to imagine him playing her character in The Martian. And BR2049.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 23, 2018, 04:46:55 PM
A little scooping up of all what is known so far

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/terminator/58583/terminator-6-what-we-know-so-far

QuoteWhen Terminator was announced last year, one of the stories that emerged was that its producers were looking for a new heroine to lead the film. "We're starting a search for an 18-something young woman to essentially be the new centrepiece of these stories," Cameron told THR.

Is "18-something" an American thing or is Cameron going senile?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Replies From View on June 23, 2018, 09:10:35 PM
Is "18-something" an American thing or is Cameron going senile?

I guess he meant it the same way you'd say 30-something. So she's aged anywhere between the start of her 18s and the end of her 18s. So 18.

Replies From View

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 23, 2018, 09:19:40 PM
I guess he meant it the same way you'd say 30-something. So she's aged anywhere between the start of her 18s and the end of her 18s. So 18.

I assumed that's what he meant, but is it an established American Thing to say that or is he going senile?  I MUST KNOW.