Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator (2019)

Started by St_Eddie, June 08, 2018, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

It's all very camp and a bit Chuckle Brothers-esque at this point - "I'll be back", "She'll be back", "I'm back!"...

The seventh film should obviously be set in a British underwear store circa 1976.

biggytitbo

Maybe he could slip a disc and go 'ouch, my back', considering he's quite elderly now?

samadriel

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 03, 2019, 03:56:07 PM
Well, obviously they squirt some superglue onto the underside of the wig, prior to plonking it onto the terminator's bonce.  Obviously.  Sheesh.

I think that's a bit far-fetched, don't you?

mothman

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 04, 2019, 07:59:19 AM
Maybe he could slip a disc and go 'ouch, my back', considering he's quite elderly now?

Spider-Man 2 did it first.

Shaky

Spoilers now abound following a test screening. It does sound quite piss.

danielreal2k

Quote from: Shaky on June 04, 2019, 12:05:50 PM

Cameron liked Genisys..  So wasn't much hope really.

Replies From View

It does sound quite piss.

I don't mind the sound of that.  It depends what it's striking as it comes out.

Replies From View

So apparently the big bad of this film is a bloke who gives out free hardlight projection bees and won't sell you a light switch.  And if you and your mates attempt to knock each other unconscious he will remove his plastic mask so that you can see all your face segments disappearing one by one.

Shaky

Quote from: danielreal2k on June 04, 2019, 12:15:36 PM

He only produced this one to retain the rights, didn't he? Rarely bodes well.

Quote from: Replies From View on June 04, 2019, 12:16:00 PM
I don't mind the sound of that.  It depends what it's striking as it comes out.

The faces of a captive global audience. Long been a dream of Jimmy Cameron's. Proper immersive cinema. Stay to the end of the credits for a cold poo down the back of the neck.

mothman

Read the spoilers on the Reddit post. Hmm. That does make it sound all rather pointless, doesn't it? I can think of one answer to one of the poster's major objections to the plot. Well, that and he or she (just kidding, it's gonna be a he) is maybe being too hysterical, and his suggestions for how to improve/salvage the plot are equally trite and hackneyed.

But (as every Carrie Bradshaw monologue begins) I got to thinking: what is the Terminator story about?

Yes, it's an action movie franchise, and by and large it delivers on the requirements in herent in that. Sometimes it can produce some quite amazing set-pieces and sequences, but a lot of the time, is it really doing it any better than any other action movie franchise?

Is it about perseverance, and overcoming the odds? Well, yes, but isn't everything? Erin Brockovich is about that too, but does it without killer robots from the future - whether that's for the better or the worse, I leave up to you.

If I had to guess, it's about faith, and beieving that one man can make a difference; it can't be a coincidence the future saviour of mankind's initials are JC (I wonder if his mother was ever considered to be called Mary instead? Mary Connor, Sarah Connor...). That runs true for the original two films, and sort-of for the third. But the third also muddies things by saying that even then, the house always wins: Skynet is inevitable, Judgement Day is inevitable, essentially that mankind always sows the seeds of its own destruction. And from then on in the franchise John Connor becomes less important; it's no longer just his path to glory, it's the friends he makes along the way. In Salvation he isn't a legend yet, he's just dis guy, you know? In one possible future seen in TSCC, he doesn;t exist at all. In Genysys he's first Bingified and then Borgified and it doesn't even matter, post-Singularity life goes on.

Ironically enough, I saw one Tweet saying that what they should have done for a direct sequel to T2 is make a film of that theme park ride. And that there is EXACTLY the problem: there are people who just want to see people and cyborgs killing each other; but a film needs to be more than that, and it's probably the exact same people complaining the most when the more-than-that part sucks...

St_Eddie

Aye, I read those spoilers too.  Like you say, it sounds awful.  Quelle surprise.

Quote from: danielreal2k on June 04, 2019, 12:15:36 PM

As I've previously mentioned within this thread, James Cameron didn't actually like Terminator Genisys.  He did that promotional video as a favour to his friend, Arnold Schwarzenegger.  He admitted as much a couple of years after the movie's release.  Still a cunt move, mind.  Telling audiences that it's great and to spend their hard earned money to go and see it, when he knew full well that it was a load of old shite.

Quote from: Shaky on June 04, 2019, 12:30:53 PM
He only produced this one to retain the rights, didn't he? Rarely bodes well.

I don't believe this to be true.  Have you got a source for that?

Quote from: mothman on June 04, 2019, 04:11:03 PM
Is it about perseverance, and overcoming the odds? Well, yes, but isn't everything? Erin Brockovich is about that too, but does it without killer robots from the future - whether that's for the better or the worse, I leave up to you.

Everything is better with killer robots from the future.  That's just an objective fact.

Goldentony

Quote from: mothman on June 04, 2019, 04:11:03 PM
But (as every Carrie Bradshaw monologue begins) I got to thinking: what is the Terminator story about?

some arsehole from space going around with his knackers out giving it the big 'un

Shaky

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 04, 2019, 04:12:13 PM
I don't believe this to be true.  Have you got a source for that?

Only my own increasingly failing memory. Doing some googling reminded me that Genisys was a rushed attempt at starting a new trilogy before the rights reverted back to Cameron this year. Definitely an element of Jim needlessly flogging his returned child with this new one, though. He may truly believe he has a brilliant story to tell but it's also an intentional slap in the face for the makers of T3 onwards.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shaky on June 05, 2019, 01:07:26 AM
He may truly believe he has a brilliant story to tell but it's also an intentional slap in the face for the makers of T3 onwards.

To be fair, Terminator Salvation was a slap in the face to Terminator 3 and Terminator Genisys was a slap in the face to Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation.  It's retcon, upon retcon, upon retcon.  I don't blame James Cameron for wanting to wipe the slate clean, as there's too much baggage involved otherwise.  The problem is that he's making yet another shitty sequel.  Either do something worthwhile or leave it be.  Shit or get off the pot, Cameron.  Don't sputter out a drizzle of diarrhea and say "job's a good 'un".

mothman

It is good, isn't it? The gold standard for teaser trailers. I think seeing it was actually the first time I became aware there was going to be a sequel. That sounds incredible nowadays...

(the second time I heard anything about it was in a magazine article that was maybe using screenshots - somehow! - of either a proper trailer or some promotional footage released or leaked (you'll forgive me if I can't recall the exact details, it was 28 years ago after all) and seemed to be under the impression Arnie was playing two Terminators, one good one bad, with the latter dressed as a policeman for some reason...)

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2019, 01:31:32 AM
Shit or get off the pot, Cameron.  Don't sputter out a drizzle of diarrhea and say "job's a good 'un".

I'm not sure I approve of drizzles of diarrhea being removed from the official shitting category guide.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 05, 2019, 09:27:58 PM
I'm not sure I approve of drizzles of diarrhea being removed from the official shitting category guide.

You don't have to approve, you just have to do it.

"Do it!  Do it now!"

Blumf

"I cannot shit my own pants, you must do it"

Replies From View

I always say "shit yourself in someone else's pants" instead of "put yourself in someone else's shoes".

JamesTC

Replies From View

"Girlie men" sounds nothing like "I'll be back".

Cold Meat Platter

It does in the original Arameic.

St_Eddie

Replies From View

SteveDave

Edward Furlong's going to be John Connor again?

https://youtu.be/r3uiWlJDkpQ

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on July 19, 2019, 06:58:14 AM
Edward Furlong's going to be John Connor again?

I don't think it's real modern day Edward Furlong, but CGI young Edward Furlong.  The sequel is following on from the second film and ignoring the ones that cast different people as Connor.

Shaky

Yes, it's apparently as Replies says. They'll CG his face onto another actor. A lot of people online are getting mighty excited thinking Ed's actually in the film, though.

SteveDave

Awww he could probably use the crack money.