Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator (2019)

Started by St_Eddie, June 08, 2018, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: bgmnts on August 31, 2019, 03:23:27 PM
Does any line in a film make less sense?

It's cliche, but it just means they've changed that specific future, but are still doomed to face the Apocalypse.

bgmnts

Eh fate and future are synonymous though, it's really stupid.

For a film that must surely know it has nothing to offer beyond cheap nostalgia with a sprinkling of wokeness, I can't believe they squandered Sarah Connor saying "I'll be back" in the actual trailer.

Replies From View

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 31, 2019, 03:22:09 PM
It will be difficult to get into this when you know they're just going to completely ignore it as soon as the next Terminator film comes out.

This is definitely the weirdest feature of this franchise.  The invitation for you to emotionally invest in a trajectory that is destined to immediately go in a bin.  It's more strange than when you enjoy a film that has a planned but ultimately scrapped sequel, because with Terminator the repetition has made it routine and expected.

Replies From View

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 31, 2019, 05:52:11 PM
For a film that must surely know it has nothing to offer beyond cheap nostalgia with a sprinkling of wokeness, I can't believe they squandered Sarah Connor saying "I'll be back" in the actual trailer.

I have a feeling the people who make film trailers aren't involved at all in the creative process of making the movie.  They just get to see the film in advance and choose the bits they reckon will get bums on seats and don't much care if the trailer ruins the film in the process.

Maybe I am wrong though.

Kelvin

Quote from: bgmnts on August 31, 2019, 05:47:23 PM
Eh fate and future are synonymous though

No, they aren't. The future means the entirely of all coming events ("a period of time following the moment of speaking or writing; time regarded as still to come."), whereas fate is often (and in this instance) more specific, relating to a predetermined future of a specific person or event. 

Butchers Blind

Remember queuing up at my local one screen cinema back in the day to see T2.  I have zero interest in this one probably because of the three piss poor sequels that have preceeded it. This might have worked without them but alas...

Quote from: Replies From View on August 31, 2019, 06:33:40 PM
I have a feeling the people who make film trailers aren't involved at all in the creative process of making the movie.  They just get to see the film in advance and choose the bits they reckon will get bums on seats and don't much care if the trailer ruins the film in the process.

Maybe I am wrong though.

You're probably right. Especially with films like this.

biggytitbo

I already sent this in a letter to David Cameron (got the address wrong but hopefully he got the gist and forwarded it on to James) that the best bit in the classic Terminator films T1-3, is where they are bare at the start and you can almost see the willy. So it makes sense if you're trying to recapture the massive box office success of those films that you basically make the entire film around the bit at the beginning where they're bare and you can almost see the willy.

Blumf

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 31, 2019, 11:23:28 PM
I already sent this in a letter to David Cameron (got the address wrong but hopefully he got the gist and forwarded it on to James) that the best bit in the classic Terminator films T1-3, is where they are bare at the start and you can almost see the willy.

Have to say, I was rather confused about the T-X having a willy, but I think you've cleared that up now.

Replies From View

Never really understood the bits in the James Cameron Terminator films where the T-800 started to go doolally and made everyone play Simon Says for eight hours.  It was included in both those first two Terminator films and it fully bumped up their running times to about ten hours each.  A bonkers decision and it's no wonder they ended up being such critical and commercial flops.  Thank the bones of god that Terminator 3 eventually came out to put some blood into the franchise's stumps.

popcorn

Replies you are mental!!!!! those things didn't happen! sometimes I think you are off on another planet.

Shaky

Quote from: Kelvin on August 31, 2019, 06:38:27 PM
No, they aren't. The future means the entirely of all coming events ("a period of time following the moment of speaking or writing; time regarded as still to come."), whereas fate is often (and in this instance) more specific, relating to a predetermined future of a specific person or event.

While you're correct, I'd say most people do think of "fate" and "future" as much the same thing and it's still an awful train-wreck of a line.

Is it me or does Hamilton's acting seem very wooden in these clips as well? Like she's trying way, way too hard to channel Cameron's ongoing wank fantasy. Will be a right laugh if her and Arnie end up giving really moving, elegiac performances.

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on August 31, 2019, 06:31:04 PM
This is definitely the weirdest feature of this franchise.  The invitation for you to emotionally invest in a trajectory that is destined to immediately go in a bin.  It's more strange than when you enjoy a film that has a planned but ultimately scrapped sequel, because with Terminator the repetition has made it routine and expected.

This is only the second time they have done a reboot though. You could kind of argue this is the first time. Terminator 1-4 all followed on from each other despite recastings and some plot inconsistencies. Genisys rebooted it by having the timeline changed before the first one so you could argue that Terminator 1-5 are all the same universe.

Terminator Dark Fate is the only one to outright discount several sequels. The fact that the trailer is trying to make out like this is the true sequel will end up looking hilarious when it turns out that Terminator 3 is still a better Terminator film.

The next step is the full on reboot. With Arnie getting a cameo as some guy killed by the Terminator. Linda Hamilton playing one of the wrong Sarah Connors who gets killed early on. Vince Vaughn as The Terminator.

Shaky

Dark Fate is set to be the first installment of a new trilogy (of course), so if it makes money they'll plow this furrow for years yet.

They've been in the same position with Terminator films before. It's almost like a time loop. The only way to break the curse is to bring back the original Kyle Reese actor. Naked.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shaky on September 01, 2019, 10:43:58 AM
Dark Fate is set to be the first installment of a new trilogy (of course), so if it makes money they'll plow this furrow for years yet.

This was also the plan for Terminator 3, Salvation and Penisys.

The only way this can be different is if the Terminator: New Class are front and centre of the final frame of Dark Fate, ready to take on the world like hip Ghostbusters, with John and Sarah in the background, obsolete.

Shaky

Quote from: Replies From View on September 01, 2019, 12:47:47 PM
This was also the plan for Terminator 3, Salvation and Penisys.

The only way this can be different is if the Terminator: New Class are front and centre of the final frame of Dark Fate, ready to take on the world like hip Ghostbusters, with John and Sarah in the background, obsolete.

They've set up a new goodie and baddie Terminator plus a new Sarah Connor so it certainly seems they're going down that route.

Head Gardener

mothman

JamesTC

Quote from: Shaky on September 02, 2019, 12:40:47 AM
They've set up a new goodie and baddie Terminator plus a new Sarah Connor so it certainly seems they're going down that route.

Which is the same issue Genisys had. Spend the whole film introducing all these new elements and building a new norm and then it is a failure and that is a waste of a film.

At least Terminator 3 just wanted to be a film on its own and not be obsessed about setting up future sequels.

That'll be the really sad thing about all this. Cameron and Hamilton back and they'll produce something that doesn't match Terminator 3. I wouldn't be surprised if Terminator 3 goes through a Star Wars prequel style resurgence in popularity following Dark Fate with the internet insisting it isn't a fucking failure of a Terminator film.

Replies From View

Quoteand that is a waste of a film

My new favourite phrase.

Quote from: JamesTC on September 07, 2019, 08:24:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Terminator 3 goes through a Star Wars prequel style resurgence in popularity following Dark Fate with the internet insisting it isn't a fucking failure of a Terminator film.

Yeah I hate when the reputation of something crap improves over time just because its sequels are even worse.

Custard

Terminator 3 isn't a bad film, it's just nowhere near as good as the first two.

You can just watch the first two and feel satisfied that the story had reached it's end anyway. A third was never needed, hence why Cameron never bothered his arse making one

Dark Fate will be a load of cobblers, as nothing in the trailers looks remotely good or interesting. It is quite literally just being made so Cameron gets the rights back

There's part of me that still thinks Cameron will do his own T3 within the next few years. At the moment he's just letting others do it so he can enjoy the profits without doing anything. I read online recently that he didn't even visit the set of Dark Fate, so that should tell us just how involved he is

JamesTC

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 08, 2019, 03:07:28 PM
Terminator 3 isn't a bad film, it's just nowhere near as good as the first two.

I don't mind Terminator 3. It is a good enough action film and has some good ideas (most of which are not explored). But it is a bad Terminator film. Just not as bad as the next two (and almost certainly three).

Can't wait for people to insist it is on par with The Terminator and Terminator 2.

Johnny Textface

Is there a good 3 film? Alien, Robocop, Jaws, Rambo.. all a load of old shite. Maybe The Exorcist at a push. Actually Iron Man 3 is great so ignore me.

Replies From View

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 08, 2019, 07:03:36 PM
Is there a good 3 film? Alien, Robocop, Jaws, Rambo.. all a load of old shite. Maybe The Exorcist at a push. Actually Iron Man 3 is great so ignore me.

Did we ever do a thread on this?  I feel like we must have done but haven't managed to find one with a quick google search.

mothman

Lethal Weapon 3 is actually alright, its main flaw is in eschewing having a memorable villain in favour of casting somebody so forgettable nobody can remember anything he was in before or after... or even his name. Stuart somebody?

And, I sometimes think Star Trek 3 was thrown under the bus just to help justify the odd-Star-Trek-film trope. Plus coming between 2 and 4, still considered two of the best Trek films, not just of the TOS cast ones but all of them.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 08, 2019, 07:03:36 PM

Obligatory Toy Story 3 mention.

Quote from: Replies From View on September 08, 2019, 07:10:09 PM
Did we ever do a thread on this?  I feel like we must have done but haven't managed to find one with a quick google search.

Here you go.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,68373.0.html