Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator (2019)

Started by St_Eddie, June 08, 2018, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

I saw it earlier today and thought it was the best of the Terminator films since T2, so one thumb up

Replies From View

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 09, 2019, 08:57:36 PM
Back to the Future 3, except for the fucking train.

I watched this again today.  I think the train stuff is exciting, so there.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 08, 2019, 07:03:36 PM
Is there a good 3 film? Alien, Robocop, Jaws, Rambo.. all a load of old shite. Maybe The Exorcist at a push. Actually Iron Man 3 is great so ignore me.

Star Wars. Both Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 23, 2019, 08:44:52 PM
I saw it earlier today and thought it was the best of the Terminator films since T2, so one thumb up

Wow, high bar there.

cliggg

There is a really good action sequence and the start, a really good action sequence at the end and a load of shite in between. It was better than I thought it would be.

Head Gardener

yeah the fight sequences are great but the inbetweeny bits held it all together enough to have an understandable albiet hokey plot - I did wheeze shiiit twice

kidsick5000

It is the best in ages, simply by rejecting the nods and winks.
One sequence at the start uses what must be some new Cameron tech. It's bloody astounding.

Why has Linda Hamilton not been in more stuff?
This is post-acting lessons Arnie. He has the best line in the film.

The only bit that didn't work and action scene towards the end where physics is stretched to snapping and it's just a bit too messy. But it comes back and sticks the landing.

It is, after 28 years and on the fourth attempt, a worthy T3.
It lacks that scope. And a bit of practical FX wow factor. But it's good.

That said, don't fall into this trap that Terminator always was an ultra ace thing. A scrappy B-movie led to it's director and star becoming ultra famous and they eventually created a pretty damned good sequel. That's all.

SavageHedgehog

I really enjoyed it. It doesn't hit the "lives up to the legacy of the first two" mark, and you could argue that makes it a failure, but I did find it to be a lot more than just "better than the last three". I liked the new characters, Hamilton is great, and Arnie probably has half the screentime he had in Genysis yet it has so much more impact. I liked the trailers more than most people, but I was still pleasantly surprised.

beanheadmcginty

Did they explain why that army bloke with the EMP was so keen to help Sarah? I may have been in the bog if they did. I thought he was going to turn out to be the kid of the scientist bloke from T2 but I didn't see any explanation of how or why he'd give this wanted fugitive a WMD and access to his aeroplanes.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 08, 2019, 07:03:36 PM
Is there a good 3 film? Alien, Robocop, Jaws, Rambo.. all a load of old shite. Maybe The Exorcist at a push. Actually Iron Man 3 is great so ignore me.
Nightmare On Elm Street 3
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (if you're feeling generous)
Rocky 3
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Return of the King
Army of Darkness
Back To The Future 3

Or are you literally just meaning movies billed as a part 3?

Custard

Yeah, this was alright. Easily the best since T2, and the two hours flew by.

There's hardly any downtime, it's all action, and happily the action is pretty good. Especially the opening chase and the final showdown.

I like how they used Arnie this time, and glad he was used more sparingly for this one. It would've been alright without him, mind. But, you know, it's Terminator, so Arnie

The three lead women were very good in their roles and likeable, and I did find myself caring about them by the end. Which helped to raise the stakes somewhat

New baddy Terminator was pretty good, too. Not a million miles from the T-1000, but with a few neat new tricks.The CGI didn't look too great, mind. Like a PS3 game at points

Overall I enjoyed it, and I'm willing to accept it as the real sequel to T2, as it's certainly better than the last three goes. I liked that it was a simple and straightforward chase film again, after the insanely confusing and convoluted bollocks that was Genisys. It's been done before, and better, twice, but it was back to basics and entertaining

popcorn

My gran saw this today. She said it was too much fighting for her but quite good if you like that sort of thing.

Piggyoioi

disappointing, they still never revealed how big the terminators dick is, which would obv be so important to creating a covert agent ( see our own police dept for these methods)

Thomas

I believe a length of Termo-dick is visible in the first film, but with all the changing timeline bullshit that might no longer(!) be canon.

Jim Bob

What annoyed me more than anything about this movie was that they retconed the existing lore, so that the terminators no longer have painted on anuses.  How am I supposed to take this fictional universe seriously when the terminators don't have painted on anuses?!

Replies From View

You know how Cameron was so very cross that Alien3 put characters that he'd built up in Aliens immediately into grave?

Well, I'm not going to say the next bit because of spoilers etc, but BLIMEY HAHA.

Replies From View

SHOULD HAVE JUST LOWERED HIM INTO THE LAVA AT THE END OF THE SECOND FILM

Replies From View

"I KNOW NOW WHY YOU CRY.  Okay come on then, off we both pop.  DO THE HONOURS WOULD YOU SARAH; CHEERS."

Jim Bob

Quote from: Replies From View on October 29, 2019, 07:33:06 PM
You know how Cameron was so very cross that Alien3 put characters that he'd built up in Aliens immediately into grave?

Well, I'm not going to say the next bit because of spoilers etc, but BLIMEY HAHA.

I know, right?! So fucking hypocritical!

Custard

Deffo reckon Furlong for the Oscar. Sublime performance

samadriel

I've been waiting for a Mackenzie Davis/Mackenzie Crook joke in this thread, maybe something about skinny blondes...  I thought she was great, but she couldn't turn this movie around, it was strictly adequate.  In a happier universe where the Terminator series hadn't been digging itself a grave for the past 25 years, this movie might have been enough, but that's not really the case.

Jim Bob

Quote from: samadriel on November 16, 2019, 11:12:25 AM
I've been waiting for a Mackenzie Davis/Mackenzie Crook joke in this thread...

*cough*

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 21, 2018, 06:44:42 PM

Mackenzie Crook has never looked better!

Jim Bob

I finally got around to watching this and it's a big old pile of nothing.  The only scene in which I was engaged was when the first meet Carl.  By and large, it was one big retread of the previous movies in the series, with little in the way of a plot; it was just a bunch of boring action set pieces, completely lacking in tension because I couldn't give a fig as to whether any of the characters survived or not.  Also, I counted three occasions throughout its runtime where I rolled my eyes at a line of dialogue.

I could go on but this video review pretty much covers my own feelings on the matter.

Custard

Edward Furlong's "scene" is now on YouTube. Albeit wrapped inside a fan edit

Seeing it a second time, the de-aging effects are pretty incredible

https://youtu.be/hQ6QqyZKVAY

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Replies From View on October 23, 2019, 11:59:39 PM
I watched this again today.  I think the train stuff is exciting, so there.

The train climax is thrilling.

The flying Time Train can fuck to get.

Jim Bob

I found it to be as thrilling as staring at a moss covered rock.

Replies From View

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 29, 2019, 06:27:02 AM
The train climax is thrilling.

The flying Time Train can fuck to get.

It's a funny gag that aims to top the flying Delorean at the end of the first film (which was only initially meant to be a gag as well).

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on November 29, 2019, 06:20:35 PM
It's a funny gag that aims to top the flying Delorean at the end of the first film (which was only initially meant to be a gag as well).

Makes you wonder how they'd top it in a fourth film. Some form of transport bigger than a steam engine. Jumbo Jet probably.