Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator (2019)

Started by St_Eddie, June 08, 2018, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on November 29, 2019, 06:40:56 PM
Makes you wonder how they'd top it in a fourth film. Some form of transport bigger than a steam engine. Jumbo Jet probably.

Probably some kind of wind tunnel sucking air from around the edges of vehicles then tracing around them in a primary school art class.

Replies From View

(Sorry to be so obvious.)

Jim Bob

If one terminator is good, then several thousand terminators are better.  The bigger, the better.  That's what she said.  Moar terminators = the big bucks and a condominium in Alaska.

samadriel

Jim Bob

Quote from: samadriel on November 30, 2019, 02:04:40 AM
Fucking edit bug

I'd say terminate it but let's face it; it'll be back.

olliebean

This is "available."

It's good fun and mostly hits the right notes, but it's nothing really new story-wise, it's largely a retread of T1 with bits of T2 tossed in.

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on January 14, 2020, 02:54:44 PM
This is "available."

It's good fun and mostly hits the right notes, but it's nothing really new story-wise, it's largely a retread of T1 with bits of T2 tossed in.

Pretty much what I thought as well. Just watched it this morning and been doing the dun dun dun dun dun in my head since. I think they are so lost with the films that they should just make a series set during the future war and wrap up the story and LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE in the future.

On saying that I'm always up for watching something Terminator so if they keep making I'll probably watch.

Replies From View

Anyone got a link for where it is "available"?

SteK

BRen

Why do the future scenes never look as terrifying as they were portrayed in the first two Terminator films? The endless night, literally the ground paved with human skeletons (like the Paris Catacombs) and the purple lasers firing everywhere, when I was a kid those portrayals shit me up and I always thought that's how we'd see the future war look in any future Terminator films. But they always look fairly 'post-nuclear' standard now, basically like Fallout with blown up buildings and stuff, bit of rubble, maybe a few skeletons, but actually fairly pleasant in comparison.

phantom_power

Starting watching this, fell asleep, have no inclination to go back to it

Mister Six

Quote from: BRen on January 30, 2020, 08:59:16 AM
Why do the future scenes never look as terrifying as they were portrayed in the first two Terminator films?

Because all of the other directors have been shit compared with Cameron.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: BRen on January 30, 2020, 08:59:16 AM
Why do the future scenes never look as terrifying as they were portrayed in the first two Terminator films?

And because in the first two films the grim future was meant to be something our heroes were trying to avoid, and so had to look as nasty and brutal as possible - pretty much all the later ones (but especially Salvation) wanted the future to be this cool battleground where badasses got to fight killer robots that weren't really that hard to kill and it's just a video game really pew pew.

In the first one you don't even see how future humans can kill a regular terminator - that one that gets into the underground shelter cleans everyone up pretty easily.

Replies From View

And also because in the first films the visions of the future only needed to serve the function of nightmare vision.  They were terrifying but there was no story there, just a sense that nobody could stay still for long enough to rest or sleep because otherwise something would get them.  It was an extrapolation of the themes of the first film, essentially, except with absolutely no escape, and all the imagery of skulls and endless flying machines and Terminators on the ground communicating that it would be impossible to live there.  Eventually you would need to rest, and then, as with slowly stalking zombies and the creatures in Invasion of the Body Snatchers, they'll get you.

That's what I reckon anyway, and I also think it's inevitable that anyone trying to place a story within that futurescape is going to transform it into a more liveable place.  That visceral terror of the future from the first two films works in glimpses, but not sustained over a two hour period unless your entire story is a computer game without any narrative beyond "run away from the scary shit".

kalowski

And CGI vs models and stop motion.

idunnosomename

it's basically hell. in terminator 2 the narrative changes that there is another way, and our own choices can escape damnation, and it's a good movie in that sense as well as all the good action scenes and drama and characters. after that it's like no it needs to happen anyway because movies need to happen to make money

Jim Bob

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 30, 2020, 09:17:57 PM
it's basically hell. in terminator 2 the narrative changes that there is another way, and our own choices can escape damnation, and it's a good movie in that sense as well as all the good action scenes and drama and characters. after that it's like no it needs to happen anyway because movies need to happen to make money

"There is no fate but what the box office dictates."

H-O-W-L

There was a computer game that came out recently set in the Future War and it looks pretty authentic and convincing, and apparently Terminators are hard as nails and basically unkillable fuck machines. Haven't played it yet though because it looks like a game from 2008, and apparently does not have enough gameplay to make it worth £30.

Replies From View

Quote from: SteK on January 17, 2020, 01:46:09 PM
MagnetDL dot com

Torrents are mean to me and I cannae do them.

Replies From View

Quote from: H-O-W-L on February 01, 2020, 07:46:40 AM
There was a computer game that came out recently set in the Future War and it looks pretty authentic and convincing, and apparently Terminators are hard as nails and basically unkillable fuck machines. Haven't played it yet though because it looks like a game from 2008, and apparently does not have enough gameplay to make it worth £30.

The poor graphics of these things always end up perpetuating the myth that the T-800 strolled around with a dollop of paint between its buttock cheeks instead of an anus.  >:(

Small Man Big Horse

Here's my less than exciting review -  It's an okay if oddly pointless feeling film, we've moved on to Skynet but a new AI called Legion is invented a couple of decades down the line and even though our heroes win again surely it's only a matter of time before we're doomed once more. The set pieces are mostly fine but the dialogue inbetween them is bland, and I've no urge to see another film in the series. 5.8/10

Also: In the first film they only sent one terminator back due to running out of time before the humans stormed the base and got hold of the time machine, but is there any reason why they couldn't have sent back twenty or thirty terminators this time around?

timebug

Agree with SMBH's post, I watched it and was generally underwhelmed! It's what I class as a 'so what?' film. It passes two hours of my life but my life is neither better, nor worse for having done so. Dialogue bland to the point of being written by a five year old; getting sick of  the endless 'look how smart I am at doing CGI' inserts in everything;leave it now,and move on.