Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - It's Well Rubbish

Started by Neil, February 03, 2005, 08:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Chris Morris is as funny as he used to be?

No
304 (58.5%)
Yes
216 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 520

Voting closed: February 03, 2005, 08:48:54 PM

InfiniteFury

Quote from: "Mr. Lizard"Really, Im astonished at the general negative comments regarding Nathan Barley on this site.
Why oh why have people watched it and said ridiculous things like "its not as good as The Office"  and "I only laughed twice" ?
It is not trying to be The Office - or a laugh out loud comedy filled with cheap gags. Personally, I liked The Office, and I like this - but I have the mental capacity to realise they are totally different programs.

The satirical ribbing of the youth/pop/internet culture was just fantastic and filled with extremely accurate observations.  
The way the idiots ended  each sentence with "yeah?" and the way they spoke using the incredibly irritating "rising intonation" in their voices had me in stitches. The obvious reference to the FCUK symbol with the SugaRAPE symbol -  I could go on, fantastic. Those people who say Nathan Barley's dont exist in real life mustn't get out very often is all I can say !

I just dont know what the haters are thinking- really - what the hell were you expecting ?

Morris has just satirised a whole community of net-nerd,  FCUK-wearing, scooter-riders. Effectively, he has turned on many of his "fan-base" - shock horror !

I'm not surprised many of you don't like it - perhaps it just struck too many chords with your own materialism ? Now go and gel your hair into a pretty little peak and watch some re-runs of "Friends" or something.

You haven't actually read or seen any of this site though have you? You can't have.

Some Herbert

Quote from: "Mr. Lizard"Those people who say Nathan Barley's dont exist in real life mustn't get out very often is all I can say !

I don't think anybody has said that Nathan Barley types don't exist. The fact is though, they exist only in a tiny microcosm of media agencies and most people will never encounter them in real life. As a result, the show has very limited appeal as observational comedy (and to be classed as 'comedy' surely it has to funny?).

twistedonion

I really don't get why everyone is so upset about Nathan Barley. I thought it was funny. A perfect satire of new media twats... I should know, I'm one of them.

When I watched this I just thought of sites like B3ta etc.

Anonymous

QuoteAs a result, the show has very limited appeal as observational comedy (and to be classed as 'comedy' surely it has to funny?).

Well, hard to call Jam funny... who says it has to be that funny. I doubt Chris Morris cares if 1 person gets it  or not. He gets it and that's all that matters to him. It's satire folks - not the same thing as comedy. And as satire it's a real treat.

Severus

Quote from: "slim"How many times are we going to hear this angle with no discussion to back it up? I don't read that the people here are like Nathan at all. I think you've missed the point entirely there. Give examples of some aspects of Neil's (or anyone elses) character that make you think they're Nathan Barley. If anything, it makes the twats who hang around him in media circles, like Ayoade or whoever, the idiots, playing the idiots. I don't recall many of us here living and/or working in the media in London.

Your theory just doesn't work. You're talking bollocks.

It works perfectly well, bollocks though it may be.

Ashcroft has been proclaimed a genius, by people he clearly despises. Morris has also been proclaimed a genius, by people who visit this site. Does that mean he despises us? well it perfectly well could, and that realisation may perhaps be the reason behind all this - to my mind unjustified -criticism of the show.

But here's where my theory falls down. I still think Morris is a genius, so I must be a massive Idiot and thus my ideas are worth fuck all. Oh well.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Anonymous"He gets it and that's all that matters to him.

I'm always puzzled when that's said about anyone who makes something deliberately to be broadcast to millions.

And if you're right, then what do our opinions matter, why are you trying to change them or say they're wrong?

Rats

We all get it, there's plenty of barley's on here, we just don't find it funny. It's not because it's too close to the bone, it's because it isn't funny.

QuoteThe way the idiots ended each sentence with "yeah?" and the way they spoke using the incredibly irritating "rising intonation" in their voices had me in stitches.

I don't believe for one minute that you were in stitches at that, come on, you must have noticed it before.

TJ

Here's a really really useful tip - if you're some sort of media insider who is posting here incognito in the hope of stemming negative reactions, it's normally a good idea to avoid sending an email out to everyone in your address book boasting about how you've 'shown' the fans without them realising etc etc, especially if you haven't checked who's aually in your address book.

Dr David V

InfiniteFury

Absolutely TJ - do it.

It's not like anyone's holding back on CaB this weekend is it? Only fair.

hencole

Quote from: "Some Herbert"
Quote from: "Mr. Lizard"Those people who say Nathan Barley's dont exist in real life mustn't get out very often is all I can say !

I don't think anybody has said that Nathan Barley types don't exist. The fact is though, they exist only in a tiny microcosm of media agencies and most people will never encounter them in real life. As a result, the show has very limited appeal as observational comedy (and to be classed as 'comedy' surely it has to funny?).
Whilst I admit I was only half watching the programme, I'd have to agree with that. I presume people like that exist, but I've never met them and therefore it all seems so obvious, 'Yes they're wankers!'. I reconise some of the traits in everyone I meet, but find it hard to find the characters believable despite taking into account the need to exagerate. Clearly this isn't a haha funnies, but the comedic elements seemed to be a mix of jamesque style snippets (dodgy camera wrok, shots of people on small modes of transport), to Morris style word smithery. Jokes seemed to be explained in vast detail when I go it instantly anyway. That said it wasn't all bad and had it's moments. Next weeks will decide whether to make the effort for the rest of the series.  In conclusion, a wry look at an obscure media sub type.

Mr. Lizard

QuoteI don't think anybody has said that Nathan Barley types don't exist. The fact is though, they exist only in a tiny microcosm of media agencies and most people will never encounter them in real life. As a result, the show has very limited appeal as observational comedy (and to be classed as 'comedy' surely it has to funny?).

Having spent 6 years at University, I can tell you that Nathan Barleys are extremely abundant amongst students (though of course ther are some very nice students too !) You dont have to be a media-type to be a "pop" culture obssessed, materialistic prat. So no, I dont think they exist in a microcosm at all. Perhaps if you are from the countryside you may never run into one :-)

QuoteThe way the idiots ended each sentence with "yeah?" and the way they spoke using the incredibly irritating "rising intonation" in their voices had me in stitches.

I don't believe for one minute that you were in stitches at that, come on, you must have noticed it before.

Well, yes, I have noticed it before, in everyday life. And yes, it had me laughing. Talking with a rising inflection is a great indicator of a person's insecurity. I try to keep my face straight when somebody talks to me like that - I feel as if I am talking to somebody with no confidence whatsoever, as if they are asking questions rather than making a statement. I suppose it could be more personal for me though because I had a housemate who ended every (and I mean every !) sentence with a rising inflection. I cant describe how irritating it is to keep nodding to somebody every 3 seconds in order to satisfy their insecurity. So when the idiots were doing it I just found it amusing as they are the type who use it in reality.

Anyway, congrats to Morris and Co. for satirising the "cool" people who thought they knew what their work was about ;-)

Purple Tentacle

Isn't it tremendously arrogant to assume that Morris is satirising "us"?

I mean, it's only one bloody website (no offence to Neil, TJ and co!) , not a political movement.

midlander

The heavyhandedness was a big disappointment. No-one has ever said that CM's projects are meant to be ultra-naturalistic, but NaBar was let down by some excrutiatingly poorly-judged calls that killed an otherwise promising idea.  When Dan's in the hotseat being grilled by an editor for  a new job, he is flummoxed by a bog -standard request for a couple of feature ideas. When asked for your six favourite wines, I wouldn't expect a clued-up metropolitan 30something to reply "errr... French... Italian... Dutch..." etc.

Viscount

I have noticed the cunning scheme which has led to the current C4 Friday night schedule.

C4 commissioned Nathan Barley, but realised that by the time it came out, many of the people and references in it would already be out of date.

Therefore, in order to juxtapose it beautifully, they immediately follow it in the schedule with the Friday Night Project, exactly the type of show which would be made by The Idiots. The two work so well together.

Not only does the Friday Night Project provide context for Nathan Barley, but Nathan Barley is C4 saying to the Friday Night Project 'Hey, see all these cunts we're ripping the piss out of in Nathan Barley - recognise anything familiar?'

Whilst I'm on the subject, The Friday Night Project - a programme so bad it had me scratching my eyeballs out whilst pleading to have 24 hour broadcasts of the 11 O'Clock show injected into my brain.

Hitman contracts can't be *that* expensive - how much can we raise to get Jimmy Carr 'taken out'?

Anonymous

Just been scanning this forum.  Seems most of the regulars didn't like NB.  It also seems that there was an editorial piece slating the show posted a couple of weeks ago.  Hmm, how strange.

GROUP THINK ALERT

Severus

Also been scanning the forum. Here's a snippet from the "member's only" Comedy Chat - NB episode one thread:

Quote from: "Neil"Have you seen the rubbish the guests are posting in the updates threads?

Lovely to feel wanted isn't it? (Sob).

Anonymous

Oh yeah, the regulars take pretty much everything Neil says as Gospel...

You ain't from around here, are ya boy?

*That was me. Forgot to fucking log in*

But seriously, if you read the threads its pretty obvious that most are giving a considered honest opinion.

It's just down to taste.  I enjoyed NB, but I don't get upset because others don't agree with me.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Anonymous"Just been scanning this forum.  Seems most of the regulars didn't like NB.  It also seems that there was an editorial piece slating the show posted a couple of weeks ago.  Hmm, how strange.

GROUP THINK ALERT

Stop scanning and start reading. YOR LIK NATAN BALEY!

Fuck the meeja cunts, TJ, and reveal all.

alan strang

Quote from: "Viscount"I have noticed the cunning scheme which has led to the current C4 Friday night schedule.

C4 commissioned Nathan Barley, but realised that by the time it came out, many of the people and references in it would already be out of date.

Therefore, in order to juxtapose it beautifully, they immediately follow it in the schedule with the Friday Night Project, exactly the type of show which would be made by The Idiots. The two work so well together.

Not only does the Friday Night Project provide context for Nathan Barley, but Nathan Barley is C4 saying to the Friday Night Project 'Hey, see all these cunts we're ripping the piss out of in Nathan Barley - recognise anything familiar?'

I saw both shows attempting to get easy-laughs with bad swear words if that helps.

If your theory is correct then by that logic they attempted the same thing around the time of Jam - placing it just before The 11 O'Clock Show in the schedules.

QuoteWhilst I'm on the subject, The Friday Night Project - a programme so bad it had me scratching my eyeballs out whilst pleading to have 24 hour broadcasts of the 11 O'Clock show injected into my brain.

Yes. The 11 O'Clock Show. Contributing writer: Charlie Brooker. Featuring Ricky Gervais and Ali G. The gap really isn't nearly as big as you seem to be trying to convince yourself.

QuoteHitman contracts can't be *that* expensive - how much can we raise to get Jimmy Carr 'taken out'?

How much can we raise to get Nathan Barley taken off. And replaced with repeats of Absolutely?

Mancini25

I liked the only episode of Nathan Barley i've seen (tonight) Seeing that Chris Morris co-wrote it answered a few questions (the programme's bitterness, off-the-wallness, intelligence, detail and most importantly humour) and is the ultimate mark of good taste as far as i'm concerned. I think  it knoacks 7 shades of shit out of Jam ( and anyone who's arms are currently raised should please stop trying so fucking hard)  It seems to me that the new medium for CM's profound despision for the less necessary of us in the world is a good one. Not too au fait with the actor's names yet but the main chap who was the priest in Garth Marenghi is great and Richard Ay----- thingy (sorry) is wicked too (as was Garth Marenghi) Furthermore as a London commuter its good to finally have an answer to "what the fuck is a Wasp phone" THe posters are absolutely everywhere which again indicates the amount of lateral thought and abuse of the media i think's absolutely brilliant. Similar to Armando Ianuccis 9/11 article in the Observer, these are gifted people i have had to wait for whilst putting up with the normal dross that's drafted as comedy these days. Go NB i'll be watching, go CM (give me a job)

TJ

Quote from: "Anonymous"Just been scanning this forum.  Seems most of the regulars didn't like NB.  It also seems that there was an editorial piece slating the show posted a couple of weeks ago.  Hmm, how strange.

GROUP THINK ALERT

So what you're essentially saying is that a) some people have reached similar conclusions and b) most of them are the same people who had earlier voiced misgivings about the format? Oh well. Someone better call Arthur C. Clarke.

Meanwhile, seems most of the new posters liked NB, and seems that a fair few of them have a vested professional interest in stamping on any criticism.

GROUP THINK ALERT

slim

GROUP THINK ALERT
We can all think for ourselves, thank you, and if you'd actually read the NB threads you'd realise this is perfectly evident.

Kiss my balls.

Severus

Quote from: "TJ"seems most of the new posters liked NB, and seems that a fair few of them have a vested professional interest in stamping on any criticism.

Oh yeah, so if you like NB you're a Channel 4 spy, right? Damn, you got me.

Quote from: "slim"We can all think for ourselves, thank you, and if you'd actually read the NB threads you'd realise this is perfectly evident.

That's true. Some of the flak Neil's been taking over there dwarfs anything on this thread. Check out Badly Drawn Hamster's comments, for instance, they are harsh.

Still, it is interesting that NB does have a lot of fans, we're just not necessarily the same people who have been the major contributors to these forums in the past. I can see a schism coming.....

No-one

The viewing figures are looking disappointing. Friday's show got only ~1 million, dropping from 2 million immediately before and rising back up to 1.5 million during The Friday Night Project (for fuck's sake). The repeat got 1/4 million, again a dip compare to surrounding programming.

TJ

Quote from: "Severus"
Quote from: "TJ"seems most of the new posters liked NB, and seems that a fair few of them have a vested professional interest in stamping on any criticism.

Oh yeah, so if you like NB you're a Channel 4 spy, right?

No, but some of them are. No idea about yourself, to be honest, but you do strike me as a fan rather than a cheerleader.

And who said anything about Channel 4?

Some Herbert

Quote from: "Mr. Lizard"Having spent 6 years at University, I can tell you that Nathan Barleys are extremely abundant amongst students (though of course ther are some very nice students too !) You dont have to be a media-type to be a "pop" culture obssessed, materialistic prat. So no, I dont think they exist in a microcosm at all. Perhaps if you are from the countryside you may never run into one :-)

Well, I've never lived in the countryside, and I spent 7 years at university, and I still didn't meet a single person who I could label a Nathan. I work in an interactive media studio of a large marketing agency, which ought to be stacked to the gunnels with them. There are plenty of egos, and a few gadget-obsessed types, but none of them are remotely like NB. I think Chris Morris has spent too long working in Soho and has lost sight of the real world. Real Nathan Barleys aren't sufficiently common to ring true with regular folks. Plus, the comedy in the show is virtually non existent. It's a sad waste of considerable talent.

Anonymous

I enjoyed the show.

but i'm a spy! oh no, you caught me!

teh_inquisit0r

Guys, this is my first and last post. Mr. Morris must piss himself reading what you sad bunch of losers write about him. It's like you're a bunch of football supporters bickering with yourselves, or a sad obsessive religious horde blindly following a God who pokes fun at you.

When will you people realise that comedy isnt about analysis and dissection.. doing these things is never going to make you laugh. If you did some proper analysis, you would realise that this is precisely what Nathan Barley is about - taking the piss out of sad obsessives who just don't have a life of their own - it's not just about the typical Shoreditch twat.

Your forum is pointless, and is the antithesis of Morris' work. You guys should stick to semi-worthy activity and just compile radio shows and offer them for download instead of wasting bandwidth on this shonky forum.

And if you guys think you really aren't Nathan Barleys (I'm addressing this to the webmaster who seems so adamant that NB is shite and Morris has lost it) why do you do your own lame Morris-esque cut up shit on the beginning of the Radio 1 Music Show MP3s??

Get a life suckaz!!!!!

Over n out.