Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - It's Well Rubbish

Started by Neil, February 03, 2005, 08:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Chris Morris is as funny as he used to be?

No
304 (58.5%)
Yes
216 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 520

Voting closed: February 03, 2005, 08:48:54 PM

notdotneither

Just before I head off out, one of the old favourites

http://www.zen26454.zen.co.uk/bigbird.mp3

enjoy ;)

Anonymous

nononotdotno

Anonymous

Anonymous

I found the first review on your website about Nathan Barley written before the start of its run a piece of opportunistic criticism. The reason websites are given over to the worship of  'geniuses' like Chris Morris are down to the undoubted quality of previous work, but it wasn't all funny. He was funny before and will be funny again precisely because he is not interested in resting on past ideas that were found to be funny in retrospect by the public. A geniune auteur gets on with making the stuff he wants to make and collaborating on good ideas. Nathan Barley after watching the whole series was pretty good and certainly nothing like the Office

Anonymous

I think it's funny that the person creating this thread called Nathan Barley crap and said there was a lack of sublty.

Obvisously the funny as hell humour all the way through Nathan Barley was far too subtle for you to even notice!

Ha ha ha ha.. I loved it..

TJ

Oh, this has got too fucking boring for words now. Some people didn't like Nathan Barley, and they're quite entitled to say so. Liking it does not make you cleverer than anyone else. Get used to it, get outside, get some fresh air, get over it.

Big Jack McBastard

Perhaps it's time to lock and let die.

Baz Smith

Im with u on this 1, barley was fuking ace, taking the piss outta the people that thought they were untouchable by morris, i recon morris see's him self as Ashcroft, to many arse lickers licking his arse, so he's done a classic 180 and bit the fucking lot of you, he prolly pissing himself if he reads this, UR ALL SPOSED TO HATE IT BECASUSE ITS ABOUT U.

Considering he is still gaining fans on the strength of 10 year old comedy, to say that Morris isn't funny anymore is just plain daft.

Episode One of Nathan Barley was great. A logical way to attack the one remaining class he had left to humiliate.[/quote]

Im with u on this 1
The guys still fucking funny and always will be, its a usual caase of build them up, then knock em down the moment the person(s) in question do something u didnt think was good as the last, frankly very bored of this nature.

i hope they run another series to fuck all u media fukers off, ur so far up ya own arse u have forgot whats decent.

Baz

slim

I'm not sure I understand. Perhaps someone could bellow down my arse as I don't seem to be able to read that last post from here.

TJ

Quote from: "Baz Smith"Im with u on this 1, barley was fuking ace, taking the piss outta the people that thought they were untouchable by morris, i recon morris see's him self as Ashcroft, to many arse lickers licking his arse, so he's done a classic 180 and bit the fucking lot of you, he prolly pissing himself if he reads this, UR ALL SPOSED TO HATE IT BECASUSE ITS ABOUT U.

Considering he is still gaining fans on the strength of 10 year old comedy, to say that Morris isn't funny anymore is just plain daft.

Episode One of Nathan Barley was great. A logical way to attack the one remaining class he had left to humiliate

Im with u on this 1
The guys still fucking funny and always will be, its a usual caase of build them up, then knock em down the moment the person(s) in question do something u didnt think was good as the last, frankly very bored of this nature.

i hope they run another series to fuck all u media fukers off, ur so far up ya own arse u have forgot whats decent.

Baz

Read the post two above yours. You're about the eight thousand, nine hundred and forty sixth person to make this 'original' observation (which is a) not true and b) not funny).

And for your information, the only 'media fukers' on here are almost invariably defending the show.

TJ

Or, in case you've not been reading any of the other posts on the other forums:

QuoteBut Morris is now almost beyond criticism: he is surrounded by obsequiousness at every stage of his work - from a cast and writers who indulge his every whim to a fawning coterie of critics who praise his every move. Beyond the dribbling outpourings of Daily Mail leader writers, there is little constructive criticism of Morris's work any more.

Like his gangsta rapper Fur-Q, Morris could now murder a room full of people on live television and still be defended by journalists. And that's bad for comedy.

By JOHN LEWIS
From Time Out, 1/8/01 - 8/8/01

Baz Smith

Blah blah blah
aint u got something else todo with your day apart from wacking up messages as to "wether morris has lost it or not"

my post wasnt meant to b funny or any kind of "amazing observation"

it was purely a dig at at u fools that think that your opinion is worth a shit.

Morris got mouths to feed, bills to pay, if he can do it and make people laff, then hasnt he done his job?

Ur all fuking barleys anyway

BS

TJ

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lot of you.

Fucking shut the fuck up.

Now.

Fuck's sake.

So you like Nathan Barley? Big fucking deal. We're all incredibly impressed. Here, have a Jim'll Fix It badge.

Baz Smith

im glad i impressed u, altho that wasnt what  my aim was here, but i noticed u said "we are all impressed" implying theres actually more than 1 of u, or do u speak for the rest of the numptys that use site
as for the jim'll fix it badge,  ive already got 1 ta.

i love barley so much, i wouldnt mind bumming him

BS

TJ

Anonymous

I really enjoyed Nathan Barley because it was a clever observation of today's desperate youth.

I don't think Brooker and Morris were trying to create the next Only Fools and Horses with this show, but instead were setting out to highlight a group of hapless young people who's role in life is essentially nothing, apart from following a crowd and desperately trying to 'fit in'. In this I think it succeeded very well.

From reading this thread (well not quite all 40-odd pages of it !) I see that some people were disappointed that Dan wasn't more 'real', and were dissapointed that he didnt succeed. At this point i cant help (like others have pointed out) but draw parallels with Chris Morris and his fans. i.e. The fans who have elevated him to this "preacher" like "genius" who can do no wrong. So how could he possibly turn against the people who put him there ? Quite simply its to show that he does not want to group himself with anybody who does not understand the point he is trying to make. I'm not going to make a claim that 'everybody on this site are Nathan Barleys!' to imply that i'm 'superior', because that would just be stupid. I just think that some people may be closer to being a Nathan than they realise, not specifically members of this site. I've certainly met my fair share of NBs in life.  I've sat and watched Brass Eye with people who laugh at it because of its crass moments, and they believe Morris is some sort of evil genius. How wrong they are.

QuoteYou're about the eight thousand, nine hundred and forty sixth person to make this 'original' observation (which is a) not true and b) not funny).

'not true' ? It seems opinions are not welcome here. I think only Brooker or Morris could tell you if it were true or not. Does subjectivity exist around these parts ?  I guess therefore I'm the 8947th person to also think this ;-)

I think the reason this thread has gone on and on is because people wont listen to eachother's points. Telling people to "fucking shut the fuck up" isn't the way towards a healthy discussion !

TJ

Quote from: "Anonymous"From reading this thread (well not quite all 40-odd pages of it !) I see that some people were disappointed that Dan wasn't more 'real', and were dissapointed that he didnt succeed. At this point i cant help (like others have pointed out) but draw parallels with Chris Morris and his fans. i.e. The fans who have elevated him to this "preacher" like "genius" who can do no wrong. So how could he possibly turn against the people who put him there ? Quite simply its to show that he does not want to group himself with anybody who does not understand the point he is trying to make.

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain this 'point' clearly, precisely and at length, without any reference to it being about the people who read this site or being about the people who don't read this site or being about Almost Yearly but only on every third tuesday of alternate months or whatever.

QuoteYou're about the eight thousand, nine hundred and forty sixth person to make this 'original' observation (which is a) not true and b) not funny).

'not true' ?

'Not true' as it clearly isn't true that 'real' reason that anyone who doesn't think "Nathan Barley" is the key to the gates of heaven only doesn't like it because it's about them and it makes them feel uncomfortable. That's utter rot.

QuoteIt seems opinions are not welcome here.

Oh don't go for the lazy shots, especially when they're untrue and you know it. You were doing quite well up until then too.

QuoteI think the reason this thread has gone on and on is because people wont listen to eachother's points. Telling people to "fucking shut the fuck up" isn't the way towards a healthy discussion !

Perhaps the fact that it has gone on so long, and has mostly been made up of username-less people saying "imho u all dont like nathan barley because u r nathan barley, its build em up knock em down build em up knock em down build em up knock em down build em up knock em down cock muff bumhole well fucken funny mate!" over and over again despite constant refutal of their nonsense, could be the reason for people getting a bit tetchy?

And if you're referring to me in particular, try looking at the various "shut the fuck up"s in their proper individual context...

The Guest

QuoteI'm still waiting for somebody to explain this 'point' clearly, precisely and at length, without any reference to it being about the people who read this site or being about the people who don't read this site or being about Almost Yearly but only on every third tuesday of alternate months or whatever.

The 'point' is that Dan does not want to be revered by the 'idiots' who do not appreciate the fact he is actually against them. I feel that Morris perhaps feels some likeness with Dan. It seems as if some are more concerned with Morris' imagery  rather than the message he portrays through his work. And I think that message (in the case of NB) is that as a society we are becoming less like individuals and more materialistic - people being defined by what they have and not who they are on the inside. I guess in a way it reminds me of Pat Bateman in American Psycho. People were more concerned about the clothes they wore than the fact that Bateman was actually telling them he was a total maniac. In the same way the idiots are more concerned with their image over what Dan was actually trying to tell them - that they have no individuality or dignity.

I'm not relating it to people on these boards since I dont personally know any of you. In fact there seem to be a lot of intelligent people around here.  I find NB funny because I have known lots of NB-esque people. People with little concept of whats going on in the world, apart from when the new Nokia plasma screen, cappucino-making camera phone is being released. If people didnt find it funny, then thats fine with me, but as I said originally, I wasn't expecting  Only Fools and Horses type humour from it.

Oscar

But Dan was an arsehole, he caused as much unhappiness as Nathan Barley, the only "good" thing he had was the desperate adoration of the Idiots, which is why clung to it despite despising it. At least Nathan Barley seemd kind of happy, Dan just moped about being miserable and feeling superior to everyone. If Chris Morris sees himself as Dan, then he must think very badly of himself.

Anonymous

Quote from: "gnatt"But Dan was an arsehole, he caused as much unhappiness as Nathan Barley, the only "good" thing he had was the desperate adoration of the Idiots, which is why clung to it despite despising it. At least Nathan Barley seemd kind of happy, Dan just moped about being miserable and feeling superior to everyone. If Chris Morris sees himself as Dan, then he must think very badly of himself.

Its probably more Charlie Brookers incarnation - The Dan character is the sad git that appears in most of CB's cartoons, the angry office bloke that hates the clever twats - so i cannot see that as a Chris Morris character or a reference to CM. I think Chris just added a few typical CM comedy embelishments in the background with Nathan Barley - . I can take or leave Barley , its a mixed bag for me, i do not think the CB and CM collaboration works very well . The CM stuff stands out like a sore thumb and the CB stuff of the sad old office git sticks out and they both do not gel together. Although CB and CM have stuff in common and both have a dislike for some of the media industry , from what i see when watching the show, both of there ideas should come together but they keep very much seperate . In alot of ways CM has not changed his direction at all - the background gags and the in your face media bollocks comes from the usual On the Hour/Brass eye concept . I would say the story and the characters are more CB's work .
CM is obsessive when it comes to visuals or sounds, and although he attacks the media industry he enjoys this experimental editing and creating process.
I do not want to see a 2nd series of this bag of shit. It will take CM two years to edit it anyway and i think he generaly takes too long antagonizing over things now and  when he does put a show out like N.B. , the ideas are a little dated . If Barley came out in 1999 or 2000 when the Internet boom, mobile phones and gadgets were suddenly all the rage then it would have created a bigger impact . But even then the characters make a comedy and the characters in N.B. are not enough for me . CB and CM both lay the 'media and gadget wankers' concept  on with a trowel in every single episode, maybe there was a point to that , but enevitably it becomes really boring as you know its coming .
I think CM should quit the comedy show format, stop pissing around with edit studios and do a film - but it will take ten years and it will be a massive collection of high pitches and fast edits because thats what the Yoof today love, in it?

tootles

Why does everyone on this site hate Nathan Barley so much?? It was a step into the mainstream for Chris Morris but I still think it was hilarious. I fear that most people on this forum are jumped up media types who felt that Nathan Barley was a little too close to home! Chris Morris was effectively taking the piss out of some of his fans! Good on him! Not one to shy away from controversy, he is probably loving the notoriety this show has brought him within these sad little communities. I am sure he revels in the hatred as much as the adoration. A sign that Chris Morris is 'not as funny as he used to be' is possibly a good thing if the voters are a bunch of unfunny arseholes themselves!

Neville Chamberlain

Now come on, which one of you wags wrote that then?

TJ

Quote from: "Jim"Now come on, which one of you wags wrote that then?

I'll spare them the embarrassment of naming them...

Anonymous

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Jim"Now come on, which one of you wags wrote that then?

I'll spare them the embarrassment of naming them...

you cant name me because you dont know me!!!!! xxx

TJ

Quote from: "Anonymous"you cant name me because you dont know me!!!!! xxx

Can I cancel your regular posting account then?

Anonymous

ok sunshine, i challenge you to name me!

ffogems

Anonymous