Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:41:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halloween

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 08, 2018, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

https://youtu.be/ek1ePFp-nBI

The first trailer is out for this partial reboot, which acts as a direct sequel to the original and ignores all the other movies. Slightly weird pedigree, as it's directed by David Gordon Green and co-written with Danny McBride, but they got John Carpenter on board and reaction to the trailer is pretty positive so far.

Mango Chimes

That shot at 1:59 with the impossible lighting teal and orange well-lit nighttime mess.

I didn't know this was going to be one of these 'ignore the sequels' sequels. What does the timeline look like now?

Anthology timeline  Myers timeline  H20 timeline  Reboot timeline  2018 timeline 
HalloweenHalloweenHalloweenHalloween (2007)Halloween
Halloween 2Halloween 2Halloween 2Halloween 2 (2009)Halloween (2018)
Halloween 3Halloween 4Halloween H20
Halloween 5Halloween Resurrection
Halloween 6

2020: Crisis On Infinite Halloweens.

colacentral

It looks as bad as H20 or any of the other 90's sequels and seems to be making the same mistakes as those. It looks to me like it could easily have come out as Halloween 9 straight after the Busta Rhymes one.

Some particularly poor parts: the dropping of the teeth over the toilet door, and the part at the end of the trailer where the girl tries to close the door ten times before realising there's a huge man blocking it. I'm also not a fan of that daft comic book-looking scene at the start with all the mentals stood around cackling.

St_Eddie

This looks like absolute dreck.  Cookie cutter nonsense with nary a spark of imagination.  I was actively fuming at the depiction of the mentally challenged criminals at the start of the trailer.  Isn't it about time that we, as a society, moved on from these tired, ignorant and offensive stereotypes?

VelourSpirit

Has the exact boring digital look I was expecting it to have, but still a bit underwhelming after seeing the new Suspiria trailer. It'll probably be a good time at least.

Mango Chimes

It's really weird they're wiping Halloween 2 (which is shit, so fair enough) but repeating the same mistakes such as to make doing so pointless (the Shape is just a bloke, he just got shot and ran off at the end of Halloween, he's specifically after Laurie).

saltysnacks

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 09, 2018, 12:26:48 AM
This looks like absolute dreck.  Cookie cutter nonsense with nary a spark of imagination.  I was actively fuming at the depiction of the mentally challenged criminals at the start of the trailer.  Isn't it about time that we, as a society, moved on from these tired, ignorant and offensive stereotypes?

We need more films where neurotypicals are revealed for the scum that they are.

Shaky

Been burned by the franchise too many times to get excited but they seem to have brought some sense of menace back to the character if nothing else. I like the idea of returning The Shape to his original, blank-slate bogeyman form but the rest of the trailer looks a bit meh.

Jamie Lee Curtis looks incredibly like my mother these days, though, so if nothing else that will add a weird personal element when I finally see this.

Custard

Did your mother, at any point, look like the Jamie Lee Curtis off True Lies?

New Jack

His mask looks a bit overly grimdark (I think the horror elements will end up this way too), making me think they'll overdo him. Doesn't seem right.. It was plain, ghostly white.

Most of Myers' horror is the fact he's evil but an otherwise utterly vacant human, not a zombie like Jason, or otherwise xtreme.

Not sure dropping teeth as a scare tactic quite fits with 'murderous blank slate', either. Does he think as deeply as to commit intimidation? I'm not sure it suits.

Schnapple

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 09, 2018, 12:26:48 AM
Isn't it about time that we, as a society, moved on from these tired, ignorant and offensive stereotypes?

You're right, but I tend to give horror a wider berth when it comes to this sort of thing, as I suppose the OTT-nature and bad taste are part of the appeal.

Why was the dog getting so wound up by Michael's mask? Is it the dog from the original? Is their a dog in the original? And if so, why's it not dead?

I probably won't pay to find out the answers to these questions.

Famous Mortimer

I like the one with Paul Rudd in it where it turns out Michael Myers has "the mark of Thorn" and has been cursed by a bunch of druids to kill all his blood relatives, or a demon will come to earth and spread sickness and cause destruction, or something. What might've been fun is if the druids had gone "well, Michael keeps failing and this demon never shows up, shall we all go home?"

Oh, and the bit at the end of part 5 / beginning of 6 where he's locked up but a Man in Black comes and kills everyone in the police station and busts him out. Man, that's an all-time stupid and incoherent classic.

Replies From View

Quote from: Schnapple on June 09, 2018, 10:47:12 AM
Why was the dog getting so wound up by Michael's mask?

Because the mask is a liquid metal Terminator and that is how dogs always react to liquid metal Terminators.

Malcy

Everyone knows III is the best.

Annoyed they are even disregarding II as that's like coming back from the adverts to part 2. Giving this a miss.

Quote from: Malcy on June 09, 2018, 07:29:51 PM
Everyone knows III is the best.

"Three more nights to halloween, halloween, halloween..."  That TV jingle so got into your head, and it was so creepy when you saw it in conjunction with the family being used as guinea pigs for the death-inducing masks at the bad guy's industrial HQ.

Shaky

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 09, 2018, 06:36:28 AM
Did your mother, at any point, look like the Jamie Lee Curtis off True Lies?

Ha, I had a feeling that would pop up. Um, yes... she did a bit. Don't think she ever did the sexy dance for me, though.

Wonder if she can remember her Skype login...

biggytitbo

The best Halloween film will always be 3, the only one of the entire derivative series that had a genuinely great writer behind it, even if he did take his name off the credits. However they messed it up, the central premise of 3 is still one of the great horror film concepts and even the slightly bungled execution of the film couldn't ruin it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 09, 2018, 11:22:29 PM
The best Halloween film will always be 3, the only one of the entire derivative series that had a genuinely great writer behind it, even if he did take his name off the credits. However they messed it up, the central premise of 3 is still one of the great horror film concepts and even the slightly bungled execution of the film couldn't ruin it.
Every time I read manifest nonsense like this (it's good because Kneale hated what they did to his script so much he had his name taken off it?) I worry that reality has changed around me somehow, that it's not just jaded contrarianism, but then I see it's got 40% on Rotten Tomatoes and an audience score of 25% and feel slightly better. The original Halloween might be a bit slow in places, but it's head and shoulders above 3 and the rest of the miserable series (although 6 is so baffling as to have some so-bad-it's-good entertainment to it).

Gregory Torso

Watch Halloween, original Carpenter flavour, and then watch Halloween 3, which is really good fun. Everything else, fuck off. Don't bother. What is fucking point? Leave it alone, you belvedere drug ponces. Stop pouring shit into my eyes. There must be a literal million scripts of decent good new ideas, develop them.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Schnapple on June 09, 2018, 10:47:12 AM
You're right, but I tend to give horror a wider berth when it comes to this sort of thing, as I suppose the OTT-nature and bad taste are part of the appeal.

I know what you're saying because believe me, I enjoy my fair share of cheesy horror movies but at the same time, it's possible to make a good horror movie (cheesy or otherwise), without resorting to horrendous stereotypes.  Some things belong in the past and that particular stereotypical trope is one of them.

It saddens me that the media continues to show a complete lack of cognisant awareness and understanding towards mental health disorders (criminal or otherwise).  Mental health stereotypes need to be viewed in the same manor as racial and gender based stereotypes; it's not acceptable.  Fuck the 'cheese' factor.

Mister Six

Nah. If the films were saying Michael had a specific mental illness it'd be dodgy but he's supposed to just be inexplicably, possibly supernaturally, malevolent. I think that kind of thing is fair game.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on June 10, 2018, 04:17:15 AM
Nah. If the films were saying Michael had a specific mental illness it'd be dodgy but he's supposed to just be inexplicably, possibly supernaturally, malevolent. I think that kind of thing is fair game.

Did you watch the trailer?  I'm not talking about Michael Myers specifically but rather, the depiction of the criminally insane chuckleheads, stood within the courtyard, around him.  Don't defend this shit, man.  It's damaging to the public's perception of mental disabilities.

Mister Six

Oh, right, yeah. Okay fair enough then.

Still, this looks like it might be all right. A bit too generic horror movie (the grime on the mask and the night-time stuff stands in stark contrast to white-faced Michael in the daylight, one of the scariest scenes in the original), but turning Laurie into a geriatric Sarah Connor from T2 gives it a fun edge.

Big Mclargehuge

I have real mixed feelings about this one...on the one hand Im not entirely on board with the "Ignore the other movies THIS is the sequel to the original"...I mean, it's nice to see an alternate playthrough of events, and im more than happy to live in a world where Halloween 5 and Ressurection dont exist. But if your going to do that make the film totally stand out...as it stands it just looks a bit generic. Also one of the things that pissed me off is the fact they've crafted the mask to look older. Im not talking weathered. Im talking the mask looks like Shatner does now as opposed to just a really worn out version of the original myers mask which should look more like this:

That being said the trailer has put some of my worst fears about this film to bed, and the nice little Halloween 3 easter egg lurking around the 40 second mark sent my inner fan boy into a squealing fit (Im one of the 3% of people on the planet who absolutely Loves that movie...) xD

Bad Ambassador

I watched 5 over the weekend and the three things that annoyed me most were:

• Jamie having a psychic link to her uncle.
  • The ending of 4 being largely ignored.
  • Michael not tucking the mask into the collar of his boiler suit.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 11, 2018, 12:39:59 PM
I watched 5 over the weekend and the three things that annoyed me most were:

• Jamie having a psychic link to her uncle.
  • The ending of 4 being largely ignored.
  • Michael not tucking the mask into the collar of his boiler suit.

Pretty much summing up my feelings there nicely, though i'd also add the absolutely stale direction and lack of anykind of meaningful cinematography (At least Halloween 4 had moments that looked quite nice). The total cop out ending, the random supernatural element that's played on through this and that at times in 5 Donald Plesence's Dr Loomis is made out to be quite an arsehole...it's not only one of the worst halloween movies ever made it's quite possibly one of the worst "Franchise" mainstream horror movies ever made...I think in my mind it's only just pipped by Nightmare on elm street 5...

St_Eddie

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on June 11, 2018, 12:01:48 PM
That being said the trailer has put some of my worst fears about this film to bed, and the nice little Halloween 3 easter egg lurking around the 40 second mark sent my inner fan boy into a squealing fit (Im one of the 3% of people on the planet who absolutely Loves that movie...) xD

I think there's far more than 3% of people who share your opinion.  The tide of opinion for Halloween III seems to have shifted greatly towards the positive in the last few years, generally speaking.

SSIIIIILLVER SHAMROCK!

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2018, 01:01:50 PM
I think there's far more than 3% of people who share your opinion.  The tide of opinion for Halloween III seems to have shifted greatly towards the positive in the last few years, generally speaking.

SSIIIIILLVER SHAMROCK!

Quite possibly. My experience of Halloween 3 in horror fandoms tends to be a majority still going "OMG NO MYCHLE UZE FYRE 2 BRN" and then a handful of people coming out of the woodwork to declare their undying love for the movie. theres quite a sizable group of people who'll say "Well it's better than I remember it but it's still not as good as Halloween 1,2,4 and 5"  Thats been a bit more of a recent development...They're wrong. but I can at least appreciate the somewhat shifting sands xD

Malcy

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on June 11, 2018, 12:01:48 PM

What's the reference?

New Jack

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2018, 01:01:50 PM

SSIIIIILLVER SHAMROCK!

Was reading the TV Tropes (I know I know) page and was surprised to learn Carpenter was the producer. So it's canon, I guess as far as that goes with these films... Also was planned as an anthology originally.

Seems a cult film, its not bad at all, I quite like it. Think if it wasn't a Halloween it would be remembered way more fondly