Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halloween

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 08, 2018, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

I've got hold of the original cut of H6, before the Weinsteins came in and reshot half the movie. Should be interesting to compare the two. Paul Rudd's first film, don'tcha know.

George White

The new Halloween seems to be about a British film crew trying to interview Michael. Jefferson Hall, the beardy interviewer was one of the aliens in RTD's Wizards vs Aliens.
And even stranger - in a major role, Haluk Bilginer, now an internationally acclaimed Turkish character actor.

Yes.

Mehmet from EastEnders.

colacentral

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 13, 2018, 06:47:37 PM
I've got hold of the original cut of H6, before the Weinsteins came in and reshot half the movie. Should be interesting to compare the two. Paul Rudd's first film, don'tcha know.

I'm interested in watching all the sequels from 4 onwards as it's been a long time, and as I said, from memory I think I'd have to say 6 is the least shit. It has a bad reputation, though everything after 3 does. I'd like to get a definitive ranking in my head (more fool me).

The shiteness of this new trailer is really disappointing after Carpenter's comments saying he thought the script was good. But it seems like that's standard bollocks now - how many times has James Cameron said a Terminator sequel is the best one since T2, only to now be making a sequel that ignores everything since T2? You can't trust anything these old fucks say.

I can live with a reboot being called, simply, "Halloween", but this "Halloween" is a sequel. Amazingly, it could be Halloween H40. I assume that anniversary is what got the stupid thing green-lit and tempted Jamie Lee Curtis back. It really seems like all the suits couldn't agree on a title and just gave up.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 13, 2018, 10:34:58 PM
I can live with a reboot being called, simply, "Halloween", but this "Halloween" is a sequel. Amazingly, it could be Halloween H40. I assume that anniversary is what got the stupid thing green-lit and tempted Jamie Lee Curtis back. It really seems like all the suits couldn't agree on a title and just gave up.

To play Devil's advocate, it could be argued that the original film is titled John Carpenter's Halloween, as opposed to simply Halloween.  That would be a stupid thing to argue though.

Custard

What do people think of Rob Zombie's Halloween? I've not seen in ages, but I remember thinking it was alright at the time. Never bothered with the second

colacentral

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 13, 2018, 11:09:32 PM
What do people think of Rob Zombie's Halloween? I've not seen in ages, but I remember thinking it was alright at the time. Never bothered with the second

Daft wish fulfilment. Michael Myers is an avatar of teenage Rob Zombie; actually annoys me.

Shaky

Can I shock you? I quite like Halloween 4.

New Jack

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 13, 2018, 11:09:32 PM

OTT rubbish basically, the violence was ramped up, seems like Zombie missed the point completely, didn't like the extra focus on Myers' childhood and the sanitarium. I know what it was trying to do, but it felt like the nature of the character changed completely once you lob in loads of Freudian reasons for why he ended up like he did, sort of misses what's chilling about the character.

Watching the original Halloween, it's striking how little violence (well, it's bloodless violence at least) there is, but there's menace, there's a psychological layer. I think Zombie's take was sort of arse-backwards to that, and not sure to any real benefit. Seemed the wrong focus completely and may as well been a different property altogether.

colacentral

Quote from: New Jack on June 14, 2018, 08:54:12 AM
OTT rubbish basically, the violence was ramped up, seems like Zombie missed the point completely, didn't like the extra focus on Myers' childhood and the sanitarium. I know what it was trying to do, but it felt like the nature of the character changed completely once you lob in loads of Freudian reasons for why he ended up like he did, sort of misses what's chilling about the character.

Watching the original Halloween, it's striking how little violence (well, it's bloodless violence at least) there is, but there's menace, there's a psychological layer. I think Zombie's take was sort of arse-backwards to that, and not sure to any real benefit. Seemed the wrong focus completely and may as well been a different property altogether.

Yeah. The best sequence in the original is Laurie's walk home from school up to her hearing Michael breathing down the phone and seeing him stand in the garden by the washing line. I love that you can see him following behind the girls in the car, but his car is out of focus; and then later how you see him parked in the background as the sheriff is chatting to them. That's what the film is all about - Michael creeping about watching everyone, hence it beginning and ending from his POV. The slashing is secondary.

I bet the new one will be a brainless splat-fest.

monolith

Went and watched Halloween 3 after reading this thread.

Some great ideas in there, quality sound track and a great ending but I didn't feel particularly engaged with the whole thing throughout. I've been thinking about it a lot since I've seen it though, certainly a lot more than any of the other sequels.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 08, 2018, 09:46:02 PM
That shot at 1:59 with the impossible lighting teal and orange well-lit nighttime mess.

I didn't know this was going to be one of these 'ignore the sequels' sequels. What does the timeline look like now?

Anthology timeline  Myers timeline  H20 timeline  Reboot timeline  2018 timeline 
HalloweenHalloweenHalloweenHalloween (2007)Halloween
Halloween 2Halloween 2Halloween 2Halloween 2 (2009)Halloween (2018)
Halloween 3Halloween 4Halloween H20
Halloween 5Halloween Resurrection
Halloween 6

2020: Crisis On Infinite Halloweens.

Video help guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=261&v=Tpc7eYkVmXk

Desirable Industrial Unit

As mentioned in a thread that went badly wrong, I really don't think the original Halloween holds up at all.  It's atmospheric and the title theme is the tits, sure, but it's just as bad as any poorly-remembered horror film of its era in the way it locks us in with under-written characters for long stretches of time.  There isn't a character in the original film you'd be interested in talking to, and we're stuck with them.

Also:  how can he drive?  He's been in an asylum since he was a child, how can he escape by nicking a car and driving?  Bollocks.  I know he tools around in a truck for a bit in a late one and that's also wrong.  These maniacs should be simple people with a rudimentary understanding of tools.  It's like Leatherface pulling out an AK47 or something.

Shaky

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on June 19, 2018, 01:07:53 AM
As mentioned in a thread that went badly wrong, I really don't think the original Halloween holds up at all.  It's atmospheric and the title theme is the tits, sure, but it's just as bad as any poorly-remembered horror film of its era in the way it locks us in with under-written characters for long stretches of time.  There isn't a character in the original film you'd be interested in talking to, and we're stuck with them.

Also:  how can he drive?  He's been in an asylum since he was a child, how can he escape by nicking a car and driving?  Bollocks.  I know he tools around in a truck for a bit in a late one and that's also wrong.  These maniacs should be simple people with a rudimentary understanding of tools.  It's like Leatherface pulling out an AK47 or something.

He probably got driving lessons as a teen. Couple of circuits round the asylum carpark, back inside by 5pm. Pretty standard for the criminally insane. To be fair, they didn't know he'd later use that skill to escape!

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 11, 2018, 04:51:08 PM
It's all just been like trying to relive the first heroin hit since the 1978 original, which was a one-off whose greatness was unreplicable.

UNTIL NOW!!

Bazooka

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on June 19, 2018, 01:07:53 AM

Underdeveloped characters? You want that in a slasher film.

colacentral

I'd argue the characters aren't the point: the whole time they're walking and talking bollocks you're meant to be aware that the man Myers is slowly following them. The whole film is about his constant presence in the background, so the foreground action is not that important.

Its one flaw is that daft bit where he slashes the knife through Laurie's sleeve: it's as if he's trying to fuck that one up.

Mango Chimes

"It's atmospheric and the title theme is the tits, sure," undersells that the atmosphere – and how it's shot and organised and scored and everything about it – is why it's incredible cinema.

If you reduce it to plot, yes, it's thin. The opening scene for example is just a kid entering a house and stabbing someone who we don't know and walking outside, so fuck. But the way it's shot and scored, the atmosphere, the point of view, the movement through the house, slow continuous build, the lack of dialogue, the persistent inevitability of it, the cluelessness of the victim, the violence, sticking with it after that, the breathing, the final reveal, it's brilliant. It's what the rubbish sequels don't get near.

madhair60

(Rubbing temples) Sorry did some cunt say Halloween, fucking Halloween doesn't hold up? Is this the lows to which we've sunk, I'm not having it.

Well they can't call it Halloween 2 when there are already two Halloween 2s.

lipsink

Perhaps they should just call it Halloween again. In fact, they should just call all films Halloween now to avoid confusion.

oy vey

Do we really need 2 more hard reboots to the cock?

Mister Six

Quote from: oy vey on July 20, 2019, 08:07:02 PM
Do we really need 2 more hard reboots to the cock?

"If you want to imagine the future..."