Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,477
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:26:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chimera

Started by manticore, June 08, 2018, 11:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manticore

Does anyone remember this miniseries? From 1991 wikipedia tells me, about genetic engineering creating a monkeyboy hybrid. Now it upset me because the first instalment introduced a whole bunch of characters and I thought I was going to get to know them more and then every single one was killed at the end of the first episode. This was such an affront to my sensibilities that I couldn't watch any more.

What happened next? Was it any good?

St_Eddie

Quote from: manticore on June 08, 2018, 11:25:06 PM
Does anyone remember this miniseries? From 1991 wikipedia tells me, about genetic engineering creating a monkeyboy hybrid. Now it upset me because the first instalment introduced a whole bunch of characters and I thought I was going to get to know them more and then every single one was killed at the end of the first episode. This was such an affront to my sensibilities that I couldn't watch any more.

I haven't watched it since I was a kid, when it first aired.  A few years ago, I suddenly recalled vague memories of it and downloaded a copy to my hard drive.  Still haven't gotten around to rewatching it though.

BlodwynPig

Mentioned many times on here. One of my favourites. I thought it was older than 1991...it certainly was creepy in a late-Bergerac type of way. I think it was based on a book of the same name?

BlodwynPig

Could be an 80s Eastenders meltdown

gatchamandave

It was. Very creepy first episode, but the investigation was well done too.

gatchamandave

Based on a novel by Stephen Gallagher who wrote the sublime Warriors Gate and the f***ed-up-in-production Terminus for Dr Who

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gatchamandave on June 09, 2018, 03:19:39 AM
Based on a novel by Stephen Gallagher who wrote the sublime Warriors Gate and the f***ed-up-in-production Terminus for Dr Who

went to a book thing where he gave a talk with two other "horror" writers, but this was 20 years ago and I've forgotten all about it.

Norton Canes

Met him a couple of times when he turned up at the Bolton science fiction group. It was him that showed me a photo of Tom Baker, Douglas Adams and a goldfish bowl full of vodka (not sure if the goldfish was present)

biggytitbo

I remember it was quite hyped at the time but also remember it not being very good.

biggytitbo

maett

I remember watching it but my abiding memory is of the main character (I think) running away and his running style being so odd that I couldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes. He was not the chimera, he was a man but ran with such form that John Cleese would have happily taken credit for it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 09, 2018, 08:12:29 AM
I remember it was quite hyped at the time but also remember it not being very good.

oh biggy, did you not have child-like wonder. You can be cynical about these things in old age, but I can't imagine you being cynical as an early teen. This kind of show was our bread and butter (you are a Beasts fan, after all).

manticore

Has any other TV programme/film/book done a similar dirty trick of getting you used to a bunch of characters and then killing them all off and starting again?

It was a horrible thing to do to me, I'll never forgive that show.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: manticore on June 09, 2018, 05:17:55 PM
Has any other TV programme/film/book done a similar dirty trick of getting you used to a bunch of characters and then killing them all off and starting again?

Mino2aur and Minotaur 7

biggytitbo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 09, 2018, 05:11:19 PM
oh biggy, did you not have child-like wonder. You can be cynical about these things in old age, but I can't imagine you being cynical as an early teen. This kind of show was our bread and butter (you are a Beasts fan, after all).

I don't wont hear a word of this as the last train and the uninvited are 2 of my favourite telefantasy series ever.

gatchamandave

Quote from: manticore on June 09, 2018, 05:17:55 PM

Blake's 7 ?

No, bear with me. The Way Back teases us with the idea that Blake's lawyer and his wife are going to find the evidence that will clear him of kiddy fiddling and they will all work together to bring down the evil fascists by exposing their corrupt system. Lawyer and wife find said evidence and...

End of the episode we see their dead bodies surrounded by Federation troopers as the prison transport shift blasts away into space.

Films - Deathproof ?

St_Eddie

You'll always be a bunch of chimeras to me.  I love each and every one of you, like I'd love any monkey hybrid.

JesusAndYourBush

I remember it being an ok series, but it being overly slow.  At the time I remember thinking it'd make a much better series if some of the overlong scenes were edited to tighten it up a little.
If I was thinking that in 1991 then those who are now used to tv series with much faster-paced plots might be very bored by it now.

This has been on Forces TV over the last week. Hard not to spoil stuff so ...

I found Episode 1 pretty shocking tbh, literally every character with a line, almost all of them 'oh its them' level character actors, slaughtered and quite graphically.

Episode 2, when the Army turn up, has the feel of a UNIT episode in places. Paul 'Lily' Savage appears in a minor role.

Episode 3 changes tack again, in full conspiracy thriller mode, with the protagonist and his mate getting all the evidence about what's going on. Well, until his mate slips to his doom.

Episode 4 has a solid job of ending it, with the protagonist getting on a bus with *checks* Lisa Tarbuck as part of his evasion of the state apparats. Last fifteen odd minutes bring things to a grim conclusion. No wait, there's a nice 'Raiders' style last shot with Mrs Brittas as an amoral government scientist.

Virgo76

I think Anglia TV were involved so I assumed I was getting a disproportionate amount of hype because I lived in the region then (in Peterborough).
The dictionary defines a chimera as "a fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail." I don't remember it looking anything like that in the programme!
I dimly remember a sad looking ape-like creature wearing a dungerees.
But I might be confusing it with First Born, a hairy baby drama with Charles Dance in.

Glebe

Remember being exciting about this.