Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:24:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Planet of the Apes

Started by saltysnacks, June 08, 2018, 11:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namtab

The second half of Beneath almost entirely makes up for its lackluster beginning. So, so mental in the best possible way.

Steven

Quote from: Namtab on June 18, 2018, 06:14:11 PM
The second half of Beneath almost entirely makes up for its lackluster beginning. So, so mental in the best possible way.

I liked it and thought it was also quite Twilight Zone-y in concept and feel, though it seems Serling was approached to write the script but unfortunately in the end the studio didn't like his ideas and went elsewhere. Most of his ideas -- which primarily involved Taylor finding old technology that he uses to wage war on the ape society, or having Taylor and Nova board a spaceship and travel even further into the future - were rejected:

Quote from: WikiSoon after Planet of the Apes became a hit, a sequel started being considered by 20th Century Fox. Screenwriter Rod Serling was consulted, but his ideas did not interest the studio. Then the producers turned to the author of the original novel, Pierre Boulle, who wrote a draft for a sequel called Planet of the Men, where protagonist George Taylor would lead an uprising of the enslaved men to take back control from the apes as the gorilla general Ursus wants to fight humans. Boulle's script was rejected as it was felt that it lacked the "visual shock and the surprise" of the original. Associate producer Mort Abrahams then wrote story elements, and British writer Paul Dehn was hired to develop them into a script, tentatively called Planet of the Apes Revisited. Dehn implemented his trauma of the 1945 atomic bombings and the fear of nuclear warfare on the story. One of the elements thought up by Abrahams and Dehn was a half-human, half-ape child, but despite even going through make-up tests this was dropped due to the implication of bestiality.[5] According to screenwriter Dehn the idea for Beneath came about from the end of the first movie which suggested that New York City was buried underground

Mini

Quote from: purlieu on June 17, 2018, 04:29:35 PM
Any thoughts on the sequels? I remember watching the first half of Beneath... as a kid and having no fucking clue what was going on.

Conquest (the one with the actual ape uprising) is my favourite of all the original films.

momatt

Quote from: Mini on June 19, 2018, 10:09:54 AM
Conquest (the one with the actual ape uprising) is my favourite of all the original films.

Me too!

Thomas

I love the strange direction the sequels take. The original film is yer standalone classic, and then there are all these optional followups if you fancy a weird, unnecessary, B-movie adventure. A bit like the Jurassic Park series but with more entertaining sequels.

SPOILERS.

I enjoy the time loop - even if does away with the more interesting time dilation of the first film, and introduces a fantastical 'time warp' - and the absurd celebrity of the two apes who travel back to the 1970s. I recall that Escape has a spectacularly grim ending.

Kelvin

Edit glitch has tricked me into this thread about twenty times.

phantom_power

I remember they showed them on successive weeks on TV when I was a teen and I remember watching them all and enjoying them all to a greater or lesser extent but I don't remember which one is which or what happens in any of them, bar vague memories of a shoot-out on a boat

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: phantom_power on July 06, 2018, 09:03:00 AM
I remember they showed them on successive weeks on TV when I was a teen and I remember watching them all and enjoying them all to a greater or lesser extent but I don't remember which one is which or what happens in any of them, bar vague memories of a shoot-out on a boat

That's the end of Escape. Of all the endings to remember, that's the one you pick?

The other four are SPOILER, the end of the world, a speech about togetherness and a crying statue.