Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:55:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Started by ColinPopshed, June 09, 2018, 01:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I was a bit disappointed by it. I still enjoyed it but I just didn't find it that funny, and all of the laughs that were present came from Bob.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: the on June 29, 2018, 09:09:52 PMThe thing this show is doing best is showing those moments where one friend just cuts through another friend's foibles and pretension. Being utterly straight and incisively funny at the same time.

This isn't really about fishing, way above anything else it's about the inner workings of friendship.
The bit that really made me laugh was when it went something like Paul saying:

"You can see the Black Mountains from here."
"Why are they called the Black Mountains?"
"Take a guess..."
"Oh, fuck off."

remedial_gash

Didn't really enjoy the first episode, but was drunk and not really watching,  the second one really got its hooks into me (sorry).

I was transported back to being 8 or 9 and going fishing with my dad, reading the 'Angling Times' and finally getting one of those bright blue 'shakespeare' fishing boxes which I had long coveted. For a few moments I had an urge dig out my old rods, but then they went ledgering for Barbel and the glow of nostalgia was wiped away by the reality of gravel pit fishing with boilies in the pouring rain and remembering just how much I hated it.

Still, I got to see Bob's Audi as featured in taskmaster.

nugget

This is the only thing on terrestrial currently that I look forward to watching. I just love the whole relaxed vibe. I particularly enjoyed seeing Bob working his charm on the staff in the food shop, I bet he really made their day.

It's just great that something as unusual as this actually got made.

Ferris

Quote from: nugget on July 01, 2018, 11:37:42 AM
It's just great that something as unusual as this actually got made.

This is an excellent point - what on earth could their pitch have been? It is more devoid of content than Seinfeld's famous "show about nothing".

It's bloody lovely and I suspect one of the commissioners was a big Bob/Paul fan. The only scenario I can think of that makes sense.

Twit 2

Got a show idea: we go fishing and you film it.
Sounds cheap, ok.

Something like that?

pigamus

More like, 'Have you seen The Trip?'

Excuse-to-piss-about telly's been going for ages. Three Men and a Boat was more than ten years ago.

dannyfc

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 01, 2018, 11:51:09 AM
This is an excellent point - what on earth could their pitch have been? It is more devoid of content than Seinfeld's famous "show about nothing".

It's bloody lovely and I suspect one of the commissioners was a big Bob/Paul fan. The only scenario I can think of that makes sense.

i'd like to think it was literally just paul whitehouse saying to an exec 'listen, bob's had a rough time, he needs to get out the house. this will do him some good' and they are like ahh go on then. 

PaulTMA

Does it always have to be belly laughs?  Can't things be Just Lovely sometimes?

St_Eddie

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 02, 2018, 11:47:58 PM

No.

Twit 2

I'm bemused by people saying they preferred the 2nd ep to the 1st, when they're so similar and about equally funny (ie not really funny at all). The music is very 'The Trip Series 2'.  I like both episodes btw.

the science eel

Quote from: Alberon on June 29, 2018, 10:09:45 AM

To be honest though I'm getting more laughs out of this than that pisspoor Vic and Bob special last Christmas.

No, no.

No.

The second was way better than the first, I have to agree. But if I read one more description of the show as 'amiable' 'gentle' or 'low-key' I will go and blast several rounds into the nearest river.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 02, 2018, 11:47:58 PM

But it's all about the who is "just lovely". Put two unappealing personalities in the show, same gentle humour, and it'll be slagged off to the sky.

Brundle-Fly

I reckon it's perfect television for people over fifty who have just got over a massive health scare or a big operation. It's like Highway for old punks.

Gregory Torso

I've not found any means to watch this, so I've just been imagining it in my head during moments of nausea or panic and it seems rather lovely: sunny riverbanks, sparkling waters, Bob pissing around, Paul being serious, perhaps a mill or two, maybe a horse.

Neomod

It's really taken a bit of the Detectorists model hasn't it with two middle aged blokes chatting interspersed with shots of nature.

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 03, 2018, 03:10:51 PM
I've not found any means to watch this, so I've just been imagining it in my head during moments of nausea or panic and it seems rather lovely: sunny riverbanks, sparkling waters, Bob pissing around, Paul being serious, perhaps a mill or two, maybe a horse.

Reddit is your friend. It's on a public google drive in lovely HD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VicAndBob/comments/8sml1y/mortimer_whitehouse_gone_fishing_s01e01/

https://www.reddit.com/r/VicAndBob/comments/8uhavd/mortimer_whitehouse_gone_fishing_s01e02/

Bad Ambassador

Watched the Smell parody of the South Bank Show. Fucking amazing.

Jockice

Saw a bit of this without having a clue what it was. But, ooh, it's Paul Whiitehouse. And ooh, it's Bob Mortimer. So I carried on watching it. Didn't do a lot for me though, If I'm flicking channels again and happen to land on it, I'll probably watch a bit of it again. But I really can't imagine sitting down to watch the whole thing.

poodlefaker

Imagine a relaunched Down the Line with Bob Mortimer on board. This fishing shit doesn't seem so funny then, eh?

thugler

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Malcy on June 23, 2018, 08:18:52 PM
Interview with Bob & Paul - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06bm14c

Bob's greenroom anecdote was funnier than anything on M&W:GF. But I liked it anyway.

Endicott

Imagine taking a whole 30 mins of your life to watch this, I mean just IMAGINE!

I thought it was amiable, gentle, and low-key and just BLOODY LOVELY. Will watch again.

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 04, 2018, 02:20:52 AM
Nice one. Thanks, Ferris.

No worries - remember to come back on here and [complain about it / say it is nice]*.

*delete as appropriate

Pseudopath

Nice to hear the Peter Beardsley monologue backing music during Bob's aquatic cow encounter. Although I think this might be the third show in which Bob has used that "sniper's dream" joke. It didn't even make sense in this context.

studpuppet

I'd watch 'Hookers & Cookers' if it meant Bob would close the BAFTA gap.

the science eel

St_Eddie