Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:03:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Started by ColinPopshed, June 09, 2018, 01:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

A cow  walks past Bob as he fishes. Paul Whitehouse laughs.

Michael Caine impressions, just in case you weren't already reminded of an even more mundane " The Trip ".

Favourite comedians of your youth looking old, saggy and jowly, and almost completely bald in Bob's case.

Yeah, thanks for the " snipers dream " gag again, Bob.

Dull and depressing.

poo

the

The pills opening was great, then it took a few minutes to warm up this week, but there were about 4 or 5 laugh-out-loud moments for me.

Particularly enjoyed Bob suggesting that there is no meaning behind Paul saying 'I love you' to his wife.

I'm slightly disturbed by how much Bob in a hat and shades looks like Mix Master Mike.

jobotic

I really enjoyed last night's. Bob is just so lovely.

When my kids have grown up and I look like Paul Whitehouse does now, I'm going walking in the Peak District. Bloody gorgeous. I've never been.

Loved every minute of this so far. Pure pleasure. Certainly doesn't make me want to fish though. Maybe I could just occasionally stand in a river to feel the calm.

jobotic

Other highlights last night - the dipper and the water vole.

Agree, no inclination to fish, but maybe go for a walk in the river.

sevendaughters

the Sinead O'Connor story was great. I'm hooked. Pardon the pun.

the science eel

Quote from: jobotic on July 05, 2018, 10:52:51 AM
Bob is just so lovely.

Yeah, he's a sweet man, isn't he? shy (by his own admission), very agreeable and gentle.

Whitehouse on the other hand tends to dismiss things a little too readily. There were a couple of moments last night where it looked like they were going to get their teeth stuck into something interesting (usually prompted by Bob), and PW was kind of 'yeah right LET'S GET ON WITH THE FISHING'

Soft lad from the North East facing the business-like attitude of a Londoner - the old North/South thing innit

Wet Blanket

I'm a big fan. I wish it was an hour long.

Whitehouse is coming in for stick for taking the fishing too seriously and being boring, but it seems to me he tries to bring out some anecdotage from Bob but is always shit down, such as last night when he asked him about getting into comedy in much the same way he did, through a friend who was already a performer, but Bob just shrugged him off. 

Brundle-Fly

The thing is, they're sort of playing versions of themselves for the telly so we don't really get to know them any better than watching them on WILTY. I'd love to hear the real unguarded, less wistful conversations, kvetching between them when the crew have packed up and gone home.

jobotic

Yeah, nobody naturally has conversations like that, which change subject every 30 seconds. Well maybe sometimes but not all the time you're together. It's not real but it's great. As the bishop said ha ha ha...

Twit 2

I'd like to see some bumming by the end.

another Mr. Lizard

Pranet

Well I'm enjoying this and that last episode might be my favourite yet.

I don't really know how BBC commissioning works but is it possible Bob's "heart healthy" meals were part of it? ie getting a bit of money from the educational budget?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Pranet on July 11, 2018, 11:38:42 PM
Well I'm enjoying this and that last episode might be my favourite yet.

I don't really know how BBC commissioning works but is it possible Bob's "heart healthy" meals were part of it? ie getting a bit of money from the educational budget?

Bob's healthy five-minute meals and 'quirky' accommodation choices (not actually chosen by him, obviously) tick the Guardian Weekend lifestyle boxes so beloved of BBC commissioners.

Bob and Paul presumably would've been happy for it to consist of nothing more than the pair of them talking amiable nonsense for half an hour while fishing, but that other stuff is there to give it a nominal resemblance to yer Hairy Bikers and whatnot. Not that I mind, it's a lovely show.   

derek stitt

Really love the daft way Bob says Feta cheese.

sevendaughters

not cynical enough to think that Bob's meals are part of some weird remit, just think it gave an angle for the non-fisherman to do something. plus loads of his meals have been kinda shit. tuna and marmalade with spuds from a can? MMMMMMMMMMM!

last night's was the best one yet but don't check it out if you didn't like earlier ones.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If they're outside, why aren't they doing a bit of barbeque or something? It's always just some stuff in a pan over a gas stove. And yes, Bob's meals do look quite shit.

poodlefaker

It's not funny enough to be comedy and they don't go into enough detail for it to be a show about fishing, or travel, or men's health, or a touching study of two comedians getting older, or anything really. Last night it looked as if Bob was lining up some comedy potential with the spray-on hair, but then....nothing.

Utter Shit

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 12, 2018, 03:22:48 PM
It's not funny enough to be comedy and they don't go into enough detail for it to be a show about fishing, or travel, or men's health, or a touching study of two comedians getting older, or anything really. Last night it looked as if Bob was lining up some comedy potential with the spray-on hair, but then....nothing.

I would broadly agree with this...yet I have loved every minute of it so far. I just enjoy being in their company.

spamwangler

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 12, 2018, 03:22:48 PM

I agree that it doesn't do those two things, but does something else that I really like,some sort of slow TV chill out TV.  A bit like a daytime TV Joe pera

Custard

"You don't look gorgeous, Paul. You look like a conker with a hat on"

Loving this

Hecate

That last one was the best so far.

I think I get the same feeling watching this as I did from hearing Bob recycling the "snipers dream" line for the third time.

In my mind, in my happy place, I'd like to think that if Bob was offered a show like this, he wouldn't just turn up and take the money, he'd say "here, Paul, you know how you're, like, a mardy tart? We're gonna have this slow building dynamic where I push you a little further and you react a little bit more each week and we drip feed our ailments until it gets ludicrous and we're hobbling around like lepers at the end and your arm comes off"

It's just "frog in the box likes trains", some empty, nothing BBC show with nothing about it.

Aye, it's nice watching Bob going fishing, if that's what he's going to do.

The chemistry just isn't there, it's like they've just met.

I think I might be lucky as I live near some nice farmers fields, I walk 5 minutes and I've got rabbits and deer and all sorts, lovely nature and a bit of peace. I see a dew-dripped spiderweb coming slowly into focus in front of some trees every day so it doesn't translate as well on telly.

I get people saying it's nice and breezy and light and slow and relaxing. If they did the same thing as a podcast where they were just chatting, but just being aware of dead air and knowing that people were listening, they'd have a few topics written down and they'd go into them in more detail, it'd be better than this, wouldn't it?

the science eel

Quote from: Hecate on July 13, 2018, 05:09:00 AM

The chemistry just isn't there, it's like they've just met.

Yeah, the lying bastards with all this 'we've been very good friends for years' just to sell the show. They might have greeted each other a couple of times at BBC dos in the 90s.

Custard

Well no, they've been mates for years. They also toured together in that Fast Show and Shooting Stars joint live tour in the 90's. I've heard and read several times over the years that they are genuine pals

You seem really over the top angry about this show, science eel. U ok hun?

buzby

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 13, 2018, 10:30:37 AM
Well no, they've been mates for years. They also toured together in that Fast Show and Shooting Stars joint live tour in the 90's. I've heard and read several times over the years that they are genuine pals
Whitehouse and Higson have known Vic & Bob from when they were regular audience members at the original Big Night Out shows at the Goldsmith's Tavern. They started playing bit parts in the show after it moved to the Albany Empire, and both appeared in the TV series too..

the science eel

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 13, 2018, 10:30:37 AM

You seem really over the top angry about this show, science eel. U ok hun?

Ah yeah I'm OK. It's odd to see people enthuse about two old comedians wasting time plodding about, that's all.

Custard

But it's just a bit of fun, isn't it? Two mates going fishing and eating shitty meals together. I totally get why it won't be everyone's cup o tea, mind

I agree it'd be nice to get more in depth chat about their careers, but it's clearly not going to happen, as one of them always punctures it with a joke, or gets bored and changes the subject

Personally I just find it lovely, cosy, and nice to watch. It's like spending time with two old pals. It's not massively funny, but it does make me laugh a lot, and I find myself grinning throughout. I guess I just really like them both

sevendaughters

in my years of lurking this forum it has a noticeable history of not liking/getting things that are charm/personality-led and also not trying to go for a laugh a minute

the science eel

I don't find PW especially likeable, tho' - that's the thing. He's a bit of a grump.