Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Started by ColinPopshed, June 09, 2018, 01:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Can't see myself bothering to watch this again. They're entertaining each other more than they're entertaining me. Unobjectionable but a bit nothing-y. I like Whitehouse and Mortimer, but I don't reckon any two good mates chatting aimlessly about nothing in particular and edited down to the most interesting bits would be any less watchable.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Small Man Big Horse

I thought it was very charming and sweet but I only found myself laughing out loud four times. I'll definitely be watching the rest of it, it's incredibly relaxing stuff, but hopefully next week will be a bit funnier.

Ferris

But when will it be on Netflix/youtube/whatever so I can watch it?!

c

I thought Bob Mortimer could be funny in anything. I was wrong.

poo

Pleasant enough light entertainment but never LOL funny at any point, which must be a first for something with Bob in it. Seemed like Whitehouse was trying to do a Brydon/Coogan a la The Trip, but it misfired for me. Bob seemed to find it funny though. Also done nothing to change my opinion that fishing is boring bollocks.

metaltax

It didn't seem to know what it was. It's not a travel programme, it's not a fishing programme, it's not a cooking programme, it's not even that funny. Not that I didn't enjoy it for what(ever) it turned out to be, and I'll definitely watch it again, but it felt like it needed a bit of focus. And I have a horrible feeling that Paul Whitehouse is actually a little bit annoying, which is going to be a massive disappointment if that turns out to be the case.

phantom_power

I liked that you could see that Whitehouse wanted a bit more sitting and staring quietly at the river to relax and Bob kept spoiling it by asking daft questions and he occasionally showed flashes of being pissed off

neardark

Weird lack of chemistry between them I thought. And Paul isn't a naturally funny man.

neardark

Bob saying the bream 'gave up straight away' was funny.

Pseudopath

I could watch Bob's Robert De Niro impression all day. This sketch still floors me.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2018, 08:41:54 AM
Whitehouse wanted a bit more sitting and staring quietly at the river to relax and Bob kept spoiling it by asking daft questions

This makes it sound fucking hilarious.

But CaB's general consensus led me to expect Athletico Mince was going to be brilliant, and I didn't get on with that at all.

Surely Bob's brilliance will transcend the football focus? Apparently not, based on the bits I listened to. My problem of course, but still.

Wet Blanket

I thought it was great. Despite the political turmoil of the moment, isn't it great to be living during an era when there is so much new Bob Mortimer material to enjoy?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on June 21, 2018, 09:19:35 AM
Surely Bob's brilliance will transcend the football focus? Apparently not, based on the bits I listened to. My problem of course, but still.

My issue is that the other bloke is a massive arsehole.

sevendaughters

this was alright. gonna watch a little more because maybe the Whitehouse tetchiness is part of it? idk.

St_Eddie

Perfectly inoffensive but also as dull as dishwater.  I kept expecting it to cut back to Alex Jones and a guest presenter, as it felt like an extended cutaway piece from The One Show.  I don't see the appeal of this to be honest.

Ferris

I enjoyed the fact that it was very gentle and nothing really happened. The telly equivalent of a colouring book. I'll be watching it again.

Shit Good Nose

Henry Bream "I thought I'd just stay here and eat pastry".  Enjoyed Paul's little Noel Coward moment as well.

I enjoyed it a lot, but then I am a lapsed fisherman who was always into the more sedate John Wilson and A Passion For Angling style over the fast edit and dramatic music Essex lad bantz stuff that ITV4 show.

Will definitely be sticking with it myself, but I also see why a lot of you haven't been engaged by it.

Yeah, I can see why some people might find it a bit boring and pointless, but I enjoyed spending 30 serene minutes in the company of these genial gents.

Bob made me laugh a few times too. I particularly liked him standing over Paul's bed while staring at him menacingly, and his jaunty little stroll towards his yurt pretty much summed up why I love the man. He's a bundle of joy.

magval

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 21, 2018, 01:51:42 PM
Yeah, I can see why some people might find it a bit boring and pointless, but I enjoyed spending 30 serene minutes in the company of these genial gents.

Bob made me laugh a few times too. I particularly liked him standing over Paul's bed while staring at him menacingly, and his jaunty little stroll towards his yurt pretty much summed up why I love the man. He's a bundle of joy.

Aye boss, I feel exactly the same as you. If there was a half a hour of this week I'd never tire of it.

daf

Quote from: poo on June 21, 2018, 07:43:44 AM
Seemed like Whitehouse was trying to do a Brydon/Coogan a la The Trip, but it misfired for me

Think this is closer in tone to the recent Elis James / Miles Jupp gentle pootle-about in Wales - James & Jupp

Not sure if it got a national airing, but I thought it was lovely stuff (as was this).

PaulTMA

I thought it was just lovely but wouldn't go as far yet to say it was wonderful x2

Twed

This made me very happy. All of the bream-dissing/defending made me laugh. I needed this, I'm going through a really bad time and this has been a little escape.

timebug

I always thought cricket and golf were the most boring
sports/pastimes, but even the Genius Bob couldn't stop
this being a load of old tosh. So I read a good book after
about ten minutes. The book got better;the show didn't.

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 21, 2018, 12:00:39 PM
I kept expecting it to cut back to Alex Jones
FISH ARE A CONSTRUCT OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA CREATED IN LABORATORIES FUNDED BY THE GATES FOUNDATION! I REJECTED THE FLESH OF THE FISH AND TOOK ION-POWER SUPPLEMENTS AND THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES

pigamus

Quote from: neardark on June 21, 2018, 08:42:55 AM
Weird lack of chemistry between them I thought. And Paul isn't a naturally funny man.

It was a bit awkward in places. I felt sorry for that bloke who had to stand there with an awkward grin on his face during the beer tasting while they did forced banter, and the bit with the breathalyser felt a bit forced as well. There's a slight touch of Colin from the Fast Show about Paul Whitehouse sometimes (ironically). But they're still both very likeable and it's still worth half an hour out of your life.

Twed

The stand-offish responses to each other is their dynamic. It's good. You have to be good friends for that to work.

sevendaughters

Quote from: pigamus on June 21, 2018, 06:22:17 PM
It was a bit awkward in places. I felt sorry for that bloke who had to stand there with an awkward grin on his face during the beer tasting while they did forced banter, and the bit with the breathalyser felt a bit forced as well. There's a slight touch of Colin from the Fast Show about Paul Whitehouse sometimes (ironically). But they're still both very likeable and it's still worth half an hour out of your life.

see this is why I wonder if this is part of it (intentionally) or at least part of the charm, the way it doesn't quite work? like when Whitehouse cut across Bob telling an earnest story about his heart, I'm not willing to write this off at all.

was half-seriously trying to think if you could get a better match with two guys from different comic parings doing a thing. Punt & Laurie: Meet The Working Class?

St_Eddie

Quote from: pigamus on June 21, 2018, 06:22:17 PM
It was a bit awkward in places. I felt sorry for that bloke who had to stand there with an awkward grin on his face during the beer tasting while they did forced banter...

Haha.  Yes, I thought the same thing.  It was very awkward.

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 21, 2018, 06:31:20 PM
see this is why I wonder if this is part of it (intentionally) or at least part of the charm, the way it doesn't quite work? like when Whitehouse cut across Bob telling an earnest story about his heart, I'm not willing to write this off at all.

That was one of my favourite bits.

Bob was trying to talk quite seriously about his near-death experience, while Paul attempted to respond in a sympathetic, albeit semi-jokey way, but as soon as that fish started biting, they both immediately abandoned the conversation.

Without wishing to make any profound claims on behalf of this series, that brief moment encapsulated the way men - not all men - deal with such grave matters. As the series goes on, it's more or less defined by floundering attempts at sincerity compromised by a need to make each other laugh while focusing on things that don't really matter. I can relate to that.