Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Started by ColinPopshed, June 09, 2018, 01:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Just watched this, I liked it.

If you're expecting wall-to-wall japes, deadpanning set pieces and bits to camera, it doesn't have that. However, neither does it veer into a complacent jokeless drought, the humour keeps chuffing along.

The premise is a very 'TV land' conceit, almost a preset format to facilitate warm public admiration for whichever national treasure tosspot actor gets their name in the title. But luckily Bob & Paul have more nous than that, I thought they helmed it with self-awareness and enough irreverence and laughs to save the day.

I'm just glad it doesn't land anywhere near that shit, RADA geriatrics being shown round the countryside and saying how remarkable things are. Well so fucking what.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Was good. Will watch again. Perhaps not strictly 'comedy' but that doesn't bother too much.

rasta-spouse

I guess I was expecting something more Mortimer-like. It's quite bland and forced in terms of humour. Thinking about it, the best bits in Athletico Mince are the planned segments. This could benefit from being semi-scripted like The Trip, which is also a little bland and forced but much more watchable.

BeardFaceMan

I get the impression Whitehouses ideal fishing show would be -

"Hello, I'm Paul Whitehouse, welcome to Gone Fishing. This week - the tench."

26 minutes of Whitehouse on his own, a locked-off camera with no cameraman, fishing in silence

"That's it for now. Next week I'll be tickling trout."

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 22, 2018, 09:00:36 AM
I get the impression Whitehouses ideal fishing show would be -

"Hello, I'm Paul Whitehouse, welcome to Gone Fishing. This week - the tench."

26 minutes of Whitehouse on his own, a locked-off camera with no cameraman, fishing in silence

"That's it for now. Next week I'll be tickling trout."

Absolutely. The bit where Bob suggested visiting the brewery and Whitehouse was clearly pained by the suggestion of leaving the waters edge.

thugler

Absolutely loved that, funny and warm

Malcy

Really enjoyed this. Fun, relaxed and perfect viewing before bed.

Sgt. Duckie

Thought this had some lovely moments and hoping that Whitehouse can loosen up slightly during the series. Flask of cocoa comedy.

SpiderChrist

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Maybe it's my age (I am 11 and six eighths).

Alberon

It's slow television and amusing rather than immensely funny, but I enjoyed it.

It should have had the conviction to stay by the water's edge more and just have the two chatting. The yurt section was fine, but the microbrewery bit was a little forced. I'll be back for more though.

Beagle 2

Sent my son off to sleep a treat. It's not a very good television programme but I'm obviously going to sign up to watch two of the best people ever chatting in some nice scenery.

I hated the first episode of a new series.

RedRevolver

Is there going to be an extra, extended edition where we do all get to see Whitehouse's circumcised cock? Because it gets less stars for false hope and all that. I'm sure for many it'll be the opposite, however. Oh well :(

rasta-spouse

From what I've heard, in the second episode Whitehouse uses his foreskin as bait and catches a 100 lbs Nigel Slater.

Desirable Industrial Unit

This is divisive enough to be the Twin Peaks of 2018.

The audience for this is the audience for Countryfile, the Hairy Bikers and the likes, not the fans of either of the people involved.  It wasn't bad, it was just nothing.  I'm sure whoever put Paul and Bob in place assumed it would be funnier, because dose guys are zany guys, but it's probably more or less the show they wanted.

Depends what you're in the market for really - TV is full of amiable, low-temperature shows of the sort you only used to get on a Sunday afternoon, and even if it does feature two genuine comedy giants this didn't do enough to set itself apart from all of that.

9/10

Twed

Twed

Quote from: rasta-spouse on June 23, 2018, 01:23:16 AM
From what I've heard, in the second episode Whitehouse uses his foreskin as bait and catches a 100 lbs Nigel Slater.
He's circumcised, did you learn nothi

I've just realised what you meant.

jobotic

Is it like when Prunella Scales and her husband went barging? That's a guilty pleasure of mine.

sevendaughters

Quote from: jobotic on June 23, 2018, 06:40:39 AM
Is it like when Prunella Scales and her husband went barging? That's a guilty pleasure of mine.

not a billion miles off, just replace the bits where they look helpless at locks with Bob trying to make an irritated Whitehouse corpse

Bhazor

Imagine if it was East 17's Tony Mortimer and Mary Whitehouse. Imagine the bants.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on June 23, 2018, 01:37:22 AM

The audience for this is the audience for Countryfile, the Hairy Bikers and the likes, not the fans of either of the people involved.  It wasn't bad, it was just nothing.  I'm sure whoever put Paul and Bob in place assumed it would be funnier, because dose guys are zany guys, but it's probably more or less the show they wanted.

Depends what you're in the market for really - TV is full of amiable, low-temperature shows of the sort you only used to get on a Sunday afternoon, and even if it does feature two genuine comedy giants this didn't do enough to set itself apart from all of that.

Hit the nail on the head, there.

Ferris

I think in his advancing years, Bob Mortimer looks increasingly like a friendly old otter. This may explain why I am so at peace with seeing him muck about down at a riverbank.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on June 23, 2018, 01:37:22 AM

The audience for this is the audience for Countryfile, the Hairy Bikers and the likes, not the fans of either of the people involved.

I don't watch those sort of shows at all and I copped this because I am an immense fan of Bob and Paul (Bob being the funniest man alive, Paul being one of the finest and most diverse actors I can think of). I wasn't expecting huge laughs - people calling it forced are seemingly not grasping the fact that it isn't scripted at all and is literally just the well-weathered rapport between two good friends - I was simply expecting a calming pleasantry from two people I hold dear to my heart (ba-bum, ba-bum) and that's exactly what I got.

I found it charming, relaxing and overall just very easy to plonk my brain into, like a sinking into beanbag or a Berocca fizzing into a glass of water. Lovely.

Malcy

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 23, 2018, 01:23:06 PM

I found it charming, relaxing and overall just very easy to plonk my brain into, like a sinking into beanbag or a Berocca fizzing into a glass of water. Lovely.

This needs to be on the DVD cover.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The pace was pretty languid, but I laughed like a drain plenty of times - particularly Bob's DeNiro impression.

Nowhere Man

Obviously anyone going in for a watch expecting huge belly laughs is going to be sorely disappointed. But it was just a nice little gentle bit of TV with two old favourites. I was chuckling throughout, and you know sometimes a bit of an escape is all you need. I don't always laugh like a drain at every old Laurel and Hardy film (for example), but it's still nice to watch something a bit more gentle or heartwarming that you know isn't going to upset you.

The thing I liked about it is how non-flashy and unpretentious it is, so much of what you see on TV now is so fucking overly glossy and Americanised with constant cutaways. This is just two ageing blokes dicking around, sharing a few laughs. Like being with old friends, they're not going always to be giving you their best pub banter, but you'll have a smile on your face just being in their company. Plus Mortimer being one of the most naturally funny people in existence doesn't hurt.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 23, 2018, 07:43:33 AM
Bob trying to make an irritated Whitehouse corpse

Those Taskmaster challenges get weirder and weirder.

Speaking as an occasional angler, all shows about fishing I've have been quite gentle and meandering (well the ones in the UK) and I expected this to be no different. Loved it.

shiftwork2

I thought it was terrific with some good laughs.  I'm not allowing either of them to die for 20 years at least so they're going to look pretty silly in the future with all the morbid talk.