Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Started by ColinPopshed, June 09, 2018, 01:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Interview with Bob & Paul - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06bm14c

There's a show on More4 right now that sounds like Bob doing a disguised pisstake voice over.

Phil_A

[tag]Hurrah for Bob & Paul, your comedy is gentle and unassuming[/tag]

a duncandisorderly

the bit with the chap in the brewery reminded me of some of the poor saps in seinfeld's christan charles' "comedians in cars getting coffee".

spamwangler

the science eel

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on June 23, 2018, 01:37:22 AM

Depends what you're in the market for really - TV is full of amiable, low-temperature shows of the sort you only used to get on a Sunday afternoon, and even if it does feature two genuine comedy giants this didn't do enough to set itself apart from all of that.

Yeah.

So, what? 4/10?

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on June 23, 2018, 01:37:22 AM
9/10

ah

Rocket Surgery

I liked it, and am looking forward to the next episode.

There. My opinion has been stated. You can all go back to whatever else you were doing now.

Hecate

Well if that's the standard, I'm confident enough to post my own opinion.

If this has been carefully orchestrated and they didn't just stick out a random episode first, if the dynamic is going to build slowly over the series, then I'm happy to be bored for a couple of episodes.

Along with others, I'm fretting that this might just be it.
Bob said he was proud of it, it can't just be this.
He's not proud of it in a "one show" way because in the segment there are moments where two big strong men let their guard down and talk openly about their heart surgery, albeit guarding their emotions with humour, which just makes it even more poignant, actually.
I refuse to believe that with every fibre of my being.

I'll watch every episode, obviously, it's got Bob Mortimer in it, and I'm of an age now where a nice, slow, relaxing bit of nothing that makes me occasionally smile gently like a contented old sloth is entertainment enough.

Dear god though, fishing looks like absolute shit. I did go fishing once as a teenager but we had a quarter ounce of hash and a bottle of whiskey with us so I'm guessing that made the time go a lot quicker.
We probably perceived time a lot slower but were having more fun so it seemed to go by quicker.
It probably evened itself out, time-wise.
I had a good time, is the take away. We were just playing with maggots and getting fucked up on a river bank as far as I was concerned.

I just can't imagine wilfully doing that stone cold sober, with heart problems, just sitting there like a plum gazing out at a still body of water, staring, looking forward to that chicken wrap I'd be cooking up later on, and maybe, with a bit of luck, a trip to the local fancy ale brewery and it's fabled "not enough to even urge a piss" 4 tiny bottle carry out.
I'd end up fucking drowning myself, just a bit, just to take the edge off.

the

One for the 'obvious things you've just realised' thread there - it's only just registered that Bob made a nice lumpy chicken wrap in the first episode.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Whatever it was he cooked, it looked a bit rubbish. Paul didn't look impressed.

Bad Ambassador

Tortillas with chicken, black beans and rice. Lovely, but might be helped by some low-fat guac or something.

Ferris

When are these being aired? Looking forward to ep2 nlw

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 28, 2018, 02:40:37 AM

ep 2's on iplayer now.

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 28, 2018, 02:52:39 AM
ep 2's on iplayer now.

Will keep an eye out for a dodgy foreign stream like dodgy foreign fuck I am.

Virgo76

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 28, 2018, 02:40:37 AM
Wednesdays, 10pm, BBC2.

I assume the tribute at the end yesterday was for Paul Whitehouse's father?

jobotic

I rather enjoyed last night's. Haven't seen the first yet.

The next one of these types of programmes needs to be a birdwatching one. It's much nicer than fishing. You could be out and about in the countryside and sitting next to each other in hides looking through your binoculars and chatting. And chuckling about godwits and knots.

The Wye looks lovely, never been.

sevendaughters

enjoyed episode 2. i don't think there's going to be an overarching Trip-style narrative but it's good gentle telly. that bit of the Wye is spectacular, been walking and riding around there, most beautiful part of Britain imo.

Captain Z

Episode 2 was much better, great to see Paul doing his 'Who's that girl...' routine before Bob slapped him round the face with a frying pan.

Seriously, I dont know what some people expected from this series but it is exactly how I imagined it would be, and I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Virgo76

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 28, 2018, 02:14:31 PM
enjoyed episode 2. i don't think there's going to be an overarching Trip-style narrative but it's good gentle telly. that bit of the Wye is spectacular, been walking and riding around there, most beautiful part of Britain imo.

No. It's real isn't it? That's the difference.

Nowhere Man

This show kind of makes you wish Bob Mortimer was your best mate, he definitely lightens the proceedings. I loved him chuckling away at Whitehouse taking the fishing so seriously.

That bit where he's just going shopping is so lovely it kind of makes me wish the show was just Bob going on his travels, bumping into new people and talking to the camera.

non capisco

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 28, 2018, 08:32:45 PM
This show kind of makes you wish Bob Mortimer was your best mate, he definitely lightens the proceedings. I loved him chuckling away at Whitehouse taking the fishing so seriously.

Loved the little focus pull to Bob grinning whilst Paul was barking instructions during the second catch.

This is lovely, I could watch it for hours. I was thrilled that Bob got his barbel.

jobotic

Quote from: non capisco on June 28, 2018, 11:04:08 PM
Loved the little focus pull to Bob grinning whilst Paul was barking instructions during the second catch.

Yep, lovely.

poodlefaker

It's great that the BBC wastes the first three minutes of each episode with a trailer for the show we're actually watching, as if its title didn't give us a clue to what it was about.

General waste of the talent involved.

Alberon

It's amiable relaxed fun. It's not going to be anything more than that, but it's not trying to be. And that's fine.

To be honest though I'm getting more laughs out of this than that pisspoor Vic and Bob special last Christmas.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 28, 2018, 08:32:45 PM

That bit where he's just going shopping is so lovely it kind of makes me wish the show was just Bob going on his travels, bumping into new people and talking to the camera.
Yeah, he's just so polite and funny and friendly to everyone he meets, I'd love to see him do something like that 'Nick Helm eating food' programme on Dave (which coincidentally Bob and Paul were guests on).

Cold Meat Platter

I think he should be head of state, or emblematic of Britain in some other kind of official capacity.

doppelkorn

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: jobotic on June 28, 2018, 11:45:05 AM
The next one of these types of programmes needs to be a birdwatching one. It's much nicer than fishing.
Get famous comedy birdspotting Bills Oddie and Bailey on it. As delightful as I otherwise find this show, it is undermined a little when they cut to a shot of a poor gasping fish.

Nowhere Man

I mean blimey, fishings alright but Paul takes it very seriously indeed. Serious business fishing mate.

The reverend seemed quite nice, even if I'm personally not into all that business. You could see Paul trying his absolute hardest to be amicable in the church.

I hope I don't think about death as much when I get to their age, a lot of the time I was thinking "come on lads you're not that old!" But I'm sure ill health will do that to you regardless.

non capisco

the

Just watched episode 2, better than last week's (and I liked last week's).

The thing this show is doing best is showing those moments where one friend just cuts through another friend's foibles and pretension. Being utterly straight and incisively funny at the same time.

This isn't really about fishing, way above anything else it's about the inner workings of friendship.