Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:12:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kidding - new Jim Carrey/Michel Gondry series

Started by chveik, June 11, 2018, 03:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Set to premiere on September 9, 2018. Starring Jim Carrey and Catherine Kenner, with all the episodes directed by Gondry.

Kidding will follow "Jeff, aka Mr. Pickles, an icon of children's television, a beacon of kindness and wisdom to America's impressionable young minds and the parents who grew up with him – who also anchors a multimillion-dollar branding empire. But when this beloved personality's family – wife, two sons, sister and father – begins to implode, Jeff finds no fairy tale or fable or puppet will guide him through the crisis, which advances faster than his means to cope. The result: a kind man in a cruel world faces a slow leak of sanity as hilarious as it is heartbreaking."

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNMm-2rXrU

So, are you excited by this?

a duncandisorderly

it looks nicely bleak. but what the hell has happened to jim carrey? botox?

St_Eddie

It's as though Wes Anderson made a series for TV.  Not really my cup of tea but it looks decent enough, if you're into that kind of thing.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2018, 04:36:32 AM
It's as though Wes Anderson made a series for TV.

I'd say it looks a lot more like Michel Gondry made a series for TV.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on June 11, 2018, 03:41:42 PM
I'd say it looks a lot more like Michel Gondry made a series for TV.

Yeah but I don't know who Michel Gondry is and judging by this trailer, I probably wouldn't care much for his style of work.

EDIT:  I just took at his filmography and I've seen a few things that he's done.  Yep, I don't care for his style at all.

popcorn

He's done some shite but he's done some corkers.

Everyone should watch Eternal Sunshine. And anyone who doesn't like it should EAT PISS.

Obel

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2018, 04:15:00 PM
Yeah but I don't know who Michel Gondry is and judging by this trailer, I probably wouldn't care much for his style of work.

EDIT:  I just took at his filmography and I've seen a few things that he's done.  Yep, I don't care for his style at all.

Alright cheers for the update. Back off to the Last Jedi thread now.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Obel on June 11, 2018, 05:14:55 PM
Alright cheers for the update. Back off to the Last Jedi thread now.

I was just giving my opinion.  I have no problem with those who enjoy the works of either Michel Gondry or Wes Anderson.  In fact, I can fully understand why people dig their art.  It's just not my cup of tea.  Having said that, yeah, not much point in me hanging around in this thread and spoiling your fun, considering I have nothing constructive to offer.  I shall leave now.  Bye.

phantom_power

Quote from: chveik on June 11, 2018, 03:35:26 AM

So, are you excited by this?

Very. I love Gondry and this looks right in his wheelhouse

Lost Oliver

Quote from: popcorn on June 11, 2018, 05:14:33 PM

Everyone should watch Eternal Sunshine. And anyone who doesn't like it should EAT PISS.

I agree but for some reason it just rankles with me. Adore Kaufman and Synecdoche is probably my favourite film of all time but Eternal Sunshine always felt a little too twee.

popcorn

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 11, 2018, 08:01:10 PM
I agree but for some reason it just rankles with me. Adore Kaufman and Synecdoche is probably my favourite film of all time but Eternal Sunshine always felt a little too twee.

Here's your piss. Chow down!!!!!

I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine in a few years, but last time I saw it I was really dazzled. It just flows along beautifully. Might be time for a rewatch, in fact.

Lost Oliver

This tastes like piss!

Are you a fan of Synecdoche? Don't wanna derail the thread but any chance to talk about that film I take.

popcorn

I do like Synecdoche. It borders on the touch too cerebral for me at times (I'm a thicko) and certain parts don't quite fly for me - such as the burning home and the weird funeral - but some of it really moves me. The way the voiceover cleaner woman says "You were Ellen" is one of my all-time favourite line readings. It gets me right in the piss. "All her meagre sadnesses were yours."

Wet Blanket

The older I get the more I'm impressed by Eternal Sunshine. I think it's one of the best examinations of disintegrating relationships ever put on film. A bit like Lennon and McCartney's solo music vs their Beatles songs, I've found Kauffman's subsequent work very interesting and enjoyable but also sour and almost painfully cynical, while Gondry has become much too twee for my taste. but together they hit a sweet spot. I liked Human Nature too. It's like an early Woody Allen film.

This looks like it might be a return to form for both Gondry and Jim Carrey, actually. I've got high hopes.

Artemis

Really looking forward to this. I genuinely think Carrey is becoming the next Kaufman.

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on June 11, 2018, 05:14:33 PM

This does look like its deliberately trying for an Eternal Sunshine TV series doesn't it?

I have to confess I'v not really watched much recent Gondry and generally I got the impression he was regarded as rather having lost it post Sunshine relative to say Spike Jonze.

Mister Six

Gondry wasn't involved with Synecdoche was he? Unless he was a producer.

This looks pretty great, I reckon. The only thing that worries me is that it's Showtime - a channel that, Twin Peaks aside, tends to milk shows for years past their use-by date and leave them shrivelled husks. Especially since this is a show that looks like it would benefit from a set length and focused character arc.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on June 14, 2018, 05:14:33 AM
Gondry wasn't involved with Synecdoche was he? Unless he was a producer.

I think the conversation went from Eternal Sunshine to Kaufman in general and how some people like their Charlie uncut

Z

I dont really see Gondry as having lost it. Fucking hated the Science of Sleep and I imagine Foam of the Daze is pretty bad too but Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy was super charming, the We and the I isn't great but seemed like a fun project and, from what I gather, Microbe et Gasoil is meant to very good.
Gondry is much more of a weirdo tinkerer than an auteur on the whole.

That being said, I'd have limited expectations from a TV series by him unless he's collaborating with another creative force.
and yeah, Showtime is always a worrying sign.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Mister Six on June 14, 2018, 05:14:33 AM
The only thing that worries me is that it's Showtime - a channel that, Twin Peaks aside, tends to milk shows for years past their use-by date and leave them shrivelled husks.

I didn't know that. What else is on Showtime? I'd assumed they were following the 'limited event series from cult director' formula established by Twin Peaks

popcorn

Quote from: Z on June 14, 2018, 08:04:23 AM
I dont really see Gondry as having lost it. Fucking hated the Science of Sleep and I imagine Foam of the Daze is pretty bad too but Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy was super charming, the We and the I isn't great but seemed like a fun project and, from what I gather, Microbe et Gasoil is meant to very good.
Gondry is much more of a weirdo tinkerer than an auteur on the whole.

The last thing I saw by him was Be Kind Rewind, which is a premise so good it surely couldn't fail - and yet I remember nothing about it other than it was so crap I turned it off.

I wish he'd directed The Disaster Artist.

colacentral

Quote from: popcorn on June 14, 2018, 09:20:33 AM
The last thing I saw by him was Be Kind Rewind, which is a premise so good it surely couldn't fail - and yet I remember nothing about it other than it was so crap I turned it off.

The problem with Be Kind, Rewind is that it should have just been an out and out daft comedy. The final act dropped all the humour and became a sappy drama.

Z

It's a premise that couldn't fail as a music video, as a feature length film it's guaranteed to have some generic by the numbers crap narrative bolted on to help pad it out.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on June 14, 2018, 09:15:39 AM
I didn't know that. What else is on Showtime? I'd assumed they were following the 'limited event series from cult director' formula established by Twin Peaks

Here's an incomplete list of their biggest shows: Dexter, Weeds, Masters of Sex, Shameless, Ray Donavan, the L Word, Californication, Nurse Jackie, The Tudors, Homeland, the Big C

falafel

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 11, 2018, 08:01:10 PM
Synecdoche is probably my favourite film of all time

Thank God; I thought it was just me. That film is sublime.

Edit: almost forgot, it was Roger Eberts favourite film of the 2000s.

Mister Six

Quote from: Wet Blanket on June 14, 2018, 09:15:39 AM

Weeds, Dexter, Ray Donovan and Homeland all come to mind as shows that could have been genre classics had they not been dragged out far beyond any sensible length.

On the other hand Penny Dreadful was cancelled before its time, leading to a foreshortened and mangled ending. Sometimes you just can't win.

greenman

Yeah the same for me, nothing since seems to have gotten enough praise to make me seek it out. There does generally tend to be a shelf life for my appreciation of quirky/twee film makers, Burton, Wes Anderson and Gondry come to mind, only Jonze stands out as a recent one who I'v consistently enjoyed. I have actually been half expecting someone to try and make a TV series in the Her setting with different characters.

Artemis

Where? It's not in the usual places, as far as I can see...

Mister Six

Quote from: greenman on June 18, 2018, 11:21:59 AM
There does generally tend to be a shelf life for my appreciation of quirky/twee film makers, Burton, Wes Anderson and Gondry come to mind, only Jonze stands out as a recent one who I'v consistently enjoyed.

To be fair, Jonze was never really twee, and the quirk was usually in service to a wider idea or dramatic aim. The others are kind of hidebound by their particular aesthetic. Once the ideas start to wear thin, their distinctive style becomes a hollow confection that can't support the weight of the viewer's attention.

Still, this looks like it might have a bit of depth to it. Which is good news, because Gondry looks like he's in danger of being replaced by Boots Riley.