Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:57:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kidding - new Jim Carrey/Michel Gondry series

Started by chveik, June 11, 2018, 03:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

RarBg too. I liked it a fair bit, it was more dramatic and conventional than I thought it would be from the trailer, but then this is only the first episode and there's plenty of time for it to develop.

mothman

Might give this a go. When Jim Carrey is good (and is in something good), he's fucking brilliant. But he's been off the boil (and in few good things) these past few years (or decades). It's like when Robin Williams was in rubbish, then he'd do something good again. Not that I'm saying they're the same, or that Carrey is heading the same way (well, I hope not). But it's good to see someone with talent in something that makes best use of that talent.

Small Man Big Horse

I forgot to say how good Carrey was, I often find his acting a little mannered but here he avoids any tricks or tics and just gives an honest and touching performance.

olliebean

Did you not find him a bit creepy for a beloved children's entertainer? (Mind you, Jimmy Savile managed it, although he was creepy in a different way.) The clips we saw of his show felt to me like they were going to turn into Don't Hug Me I'm Scared at any moment.

mothman

Aren't all beloved children's entertainers a bit creepy? The kids love them, while adults do find them a bit odd; cf. Justin Fletcher.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on September 01, 2018, 08:41:24 AM
Did you not find him a bit creepy for a beloved children's entertainer? (Mind you, Jimmy Savile managed it, although he was creepy in a different way.) The clips we saw of his show felt to me like they were going to turn into Don't Hug Me I'm Scared at any moment.

Not personally, no, it's probably something where your mileage may vary but it managed to avoid falling in to that trap for me.

Small Man Big Horse

Here's the review I wrote of it for my site - warning, it does contain mild spoilers.

QuoteA treatise about surviving death, perhaps the most disappointing thing about Jim Carrey's new series is how conventional it is. There's still plenty of time for this to change, for the trailer suggested a series which was going to be far more unpredictable, but this first episode is a traditionally structured and shot comedy drama about one man's reaction to the death of his son.

Carrey's impressive as the Mr Rogers-esque Jeff Pickles, it's a calm, gentle and controlled take on the role and thankfully Carrey doesn't bring along his collection of tricks and tics to the part, it's a paired down performance, and all the better for it. In this first episode he wishes to create an episode of his children's tv show which introduces death to the audience, if only in an attempt to persuade his wife (the ever wonderful Judy Greer) that he's coming to terms with his loss. Inevitably events don't go to plan, leading to him to making decisions that right now look like they could end disastrously. There's a rich supporting cast who work with him, including Frank Langella as his father Seb, who's also the producer of the show, and Catherine Keener as his sister Deirdre, who works as a designer and puppeteer on the series as well. Both are flawed characters, with Langella a relic from a different era who believes men should never cry in front of women, whilst Keener attempts to be a good parent to her daughter despite a clearly messy relationship with her husband. It's clearly a show about damaged adults, but also damaged children who struggle to react to their parents inability to cope with tragedy.

The difficulties of parenting looks like it will also be a big part of the series. Not only is Carrey portrayed as a father figure to the nation's children, but we also have Carrey and Greer's remaining son coming to terms with the death of his twin brother and his parents collapsing marriage, along with Keener's daughter testing the boundaries of her relationship with her parents, made all the more complicated by Keener's husband's infidelity which the child has witnessed. Other than that "Kids are easily fucked up, and frustrating and irritating bastards" the series has little to say so far, but given it's only the first episode and much of the time is devoted to setting up the premise it's unfair to judge it quite yet on such a front. Though it's a conclusion I don't necessarily disagree with either.

Michel Gondry is one of my favourite directors, not only due to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but also Mood Indigo and Microbe & Gasoline, but his work here echoes the latter film with it's steady and unfussy direction, concentrating on the characters rather than unusual effects. It's a shame though as I prefer the more experimental side of the director, and the material certainly suggests it could handle a more unusual take, as it's not as if it hasn't been covered before.

Despite the above criticisms it's certainly an interesting opening episode, with a smart line in strange juxtapositions – for instance in once scene Carrey philosophises that "When kids don't talk about their dark feelings they get quiet. It's the quiet ones that make the news," before giving his assistant a signed dvd which reads "To Derrell, Be nice to sluts, Danny Trejo". There are other respites from the bleakness too, including Rich Fulcher as one part of Snagglehorse, a blue sort of pantomime horse, who indulges in angry sex whilst wearing the costume, which is something we can all relate to I'm sure.

After only one episode it's difficult to see quite what direction Kidding will take, whether it will languish in grief, be an exploration of a man losing his sanity, or perhaps consider a more optimistic take on recovering from tragedy, but there's enough here to suggest it could be something rather special as long as it strays from the obvious.

Small Man Big Horse

I've seen episodes two and three now and am really getting in to it now, it's a fun / dark little show and I think Carrey's impressive in it. As is this youtube video which shows how they shot one particular scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_YeNw0N8aE

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 05, 2018, 11:29:56 PM
I've seen episodes two and three now and am really getting in to it now, it's a fun / dark little show and I think Carrey's impressive in it. As is this youtube video which shows how they shot one particular scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_YeNw0N8aE

Wow! That's the kind of thing I always admired Gondry for. Amazing.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 11, 2018, 08:01:10 PM
Eternal Sunshine always felt a little too twee.

Yeah, I didn't like it. Be Kind Rewind was okay, and The Science of Sleep had me in hysterics in places. I've not seen any of his other movies. I can't help thinking that his best work to date is still his music videos, though.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Mister Six on June 18, 2018, 01:48:58 AM
On the other hand Penny Dreadful was cancelled before its time, leading to a foreshortened and mangled ending. Sometimes you just can't win.

It wasn't cancelled. It was ended at three seasons by the showrunner.
Yes it ends in an odd place for all other characters other than Eva Green, but it was an inside job

SteveDave

We're halfway through this and still don't know where it's going. It's enjoyable though.

Frank Langella is especially good as the dad/producer. He's had all the good lines.

As a fan of Michel Gondry who had never heard about this, I was on the verge of asking if and when this would be on uk tv and discovered it's on Sky Atlantic starting this Thursday.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SteveDave on November 27, 2018, 08:52:49 AM
We're halfway through this and still don't know where it's going. It's enjoyable though.

Frank Langella is especially good as the dad/producer. He's had all the good lines.

I was really satisfied with the direction it took, it's one of my favourite shows of the year and I wish more people had watched it.

SteveDave

We finished this last night and it was great! I especially liked everyone shouting at the cancer woman when she dumped Jeff.

Looking forward to the second series.

Lost Oliver

Might watch this then. I've been put off watching series after West World totally balls'd up on the second series. I just can't be arsed committing to something unless it's going to be brilliant and I'd rather spunk my time on a film. That said, I'm on my fourth watch of The Sopranos but I think that's an exception.

Small Man Big Horse

I'd say it's a lot better then Westworld (which I agree had a terrible second year), plus it's a lot shorter too so definitely worthy of your time.

Z

I saw the first episode and keep forgetting to check it out. If I don't post here again before the end of the year can someone PM me nagging me to watch it?

SteveDave

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 04, 2018, 11:25:44 AM
I'd say it's a lot better then Westworld (which I agree had a terrible second year), plus it's a lot shorter too so definitely worthy of your time.

Yeah 10 episodes each about 30 minutes long? No chaff all wheat.

Twed

I watched it all as it aired, was very satisfied with it. Jim Carrey is one of the only living greats as far as I'm concerned.

wooders1978

I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying this - Carey really put me off him in that man on the moon documentary but he's really, really good in this - as are the other players
Add to that the nice bits of cinematography, pathos and some darkly funny moments have made me glad I gave it a try - not much of a fuss being made out of it which is good

McFlymo

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 06, 2018, 12:06:04 AM
Wow! That's the kind of thing I always admired Gondry for. Amazing.

Same here! Wow! I wasn't sure I was going to bother with this, but on the basis of that video, I have to check it out. Love Gondry's music videos and Eternal Sunshine.. is one of my favourite films of all time. I am just a sucker for any sort of quirky, inventive visual trickery or manipulation.

Often, I find you can figure out how a lot of his tricks are done, but knowing makes it more enjoyable, rather than less.

Z

Quote from: McFlymo on December 07, 2018, 03:15:25 AM
Often, I find you can figure out how a lot of his tricks are done, but knowing makes it more enjoyable, rather than less.
Gondry's the type who doesn't really care if you can see the strings though, isn't he?
Always get the impression he wants you to be able to see how the stuff is done far more than he actually cares about having an engaging narrative

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: McFlymo on December 07, 2018, 03:15:25 AM
Same here! Wow! I wasn't sure I was going to bother with this, but on the basis of that video, I have to check it out. Love Gondry's music videos and Eternal Sunshine.. is one of my favourite films of all time. I am just a sucker for any sort of quirky, inventive visual trickery or manipulation.

It turns out that Gondry didn't direct that episode and someone else did, though it's undoubtedly Gondry-esque.