Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Just Cause 4

Started by Natnar, June 11, 2018, 10:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

I definetly haven't got a cow gun but I do have a lightning jobby. The much vaunted weather effects haven't made an appearance yet either.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on May 03, 2019, 11:02:37 AM
I loved Just Cause 2 so tried 4 but the driving is really piss poor as usual. For a map so huge,  driving needs to feel enjoyable, not like your moving a high speed baked beans can around.

Far Cry, GTA and other sandbox games manage it well to varying degrees so I hoped they'd have worked on it from previous versions but it's exactly the same.

Why would anyone drive anywhere in a Just Cause game? Grappling hook + parachute + wingsuit is all you need, unless you have a jet or helicopter handy for very long distances.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

So I 'acquired' this game. It is suitably shonky and glitchy, but quite enjoyably shit. It is fun to see how much I can break the game by attaching balloons to stuff and how batshit the physics are.

Also it is a great game for being a dick.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mister Six on May 06, 2019, 03:13:36 PM
Why would anyone drive anywhere in a Just Cause game? Grappling hook + parachute + wingsuit is all you need, unless you have a jet or helicopter handy for very long distances.

This is true, I love a long wingsuit journey.

falafel

I don't think I got in a car once in JC3 unless it was part of a mission.

Mister Six

Same, and I can't think of any main missions that even required driving a car. Tanks, sure. Cars, though?

falafel

Quote from: Mister Six on May 07, 2019, 01:03:33 AM
Same, and I can't think of any main missions that even required driving a car. Tanks, sure. Cars, though?

I think there was one where you drove a truck? And rescued some political prisoners or something? But yes, poor driving in JC is a bit of a moot point. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it deliberately a bit vanilla to stop people getting the wrong idea and driving around everywhere.

biggytitbo

There's a couple of sports cars and buggys that handle perfectly well. Jet planes though, are uncontrollable.

Mister Six

Quote from: falafel on May 07, 2019, 06:34:44 AM
I think there was one where you drove a truck? And rescued some political prisoners or something? But yes, poor driving in JC is a bit of a moot point. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it deliberately a bit vanilla to stop people getting the wrong idea and driving around everywhere.

It's possible - they took out melee combat to encourage people to play the game "properly".

Dr Sanchez

I'm a sad bastard that likes to drive long distances in games. I used to drive buses around in GTA for hours, keeping to the speed limit and stopping at traffic lights etc.

I play the game as normal of course but I also need the driving mechanics to be decent for my road trips and such.

Mister Six

Fair enough, but I think yours is a niche hobby, and I don't think it really works as a criticism of the game, at least for most people.

biggytitbo

Chasing a tornado as it destroys the shit out of everything is a very impressive set piece a bit later on in the game. If only the missions had a bit more variety this would be really good.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Mister Six on May 10, 2019, 11:49:44 PM
Fair enough, but I think yours is a niche hobby, and I don't think it really works as a criticism of the game, at least for most people.

That's true.

Although I think if Just Cause tightened up it's mechanics in certain areas, decreased the map size and focused on quality over quantity that it could be a major contender to the likes of Far Cry or GTA.

Blue Jam

I quite like the driving in this too- landing on the roof of a car with your grappling hook, chucking the poor driver out and hearing them asking what the fuck you're doing as you speed off, then enjoying the nice view from the coastal road while listening to some South American pop on the radio. Also if you listen to The Diago and Santiago Show on the other station you get some back story emerging, and their bickering about the regime is a nice bit of world-building, along with the adverts.

I'm guessing you can actually find the radio studio, like you can find that one in Fallout 4. Unlike that one in Fallout 4, you can probably also blow it up.

Back to the driving, it does help if you find a decent car or bike, but in any case I enjoy seeing how much I can smash a car up before getting the warning that it's about to explode and then driving it off a cliff before I eject and open my parachute.

I feel like James Bond... Nah, more like Michael The Geordie...

Zetetic

The last one I played was Just Cause 2, but my issue with the driving in that isn't just that it was boring or 'vanilla' but that it seemed thoroughly broken in places.

I appreciate pootling around in a Tuk-Tuk isn't meant to be the focus of the game, but it just feels janky if you spy one heading up a hill path, hijack it and it now apparently lacks the torque to keep driving along the same road.

biggytitbo

Ends quite abruptly, but I enjoyed the gameplay loop a lot overall, despite the repetitiveness of the missions. Not as good as 3, about on a par with 2.

Blue Jam

Been getting back into this lately. Made it to the big airport then decided the best way to get to the smaller airport up west would be to steal a passenger jet and fly it there. Made it almost all the way without being picked up by enemy radar, was going to try and land the plane but got spotted and shot at so as the plane was about to blow up I just crashed it into the small airport instead. Then I noted the curved roof of the hangar looked like a big skate ramp and I wondered if I could drive over it, so I went all Uncle Nugget and stole a bus and ejected just as it went flying off the roof before it crashed headlong into a fuel tank and exploded. Later I noted a drone shooting at my Army Of Chaos comrades, so I aimed my grappling hook, landed on it, shot the rotors and jumped off before it hit the ground and exploded in a big ball of flames.

I am enjoying Michael The Geordie Simulator. It's like RDR2 but without a karma system to spoil the fun.

Paul Calf

I so wanted to like this game but the timed missions are horribly misjudged for a game with such a skittish and temperamental controls and collision detection routines. There's only so many times you can fail a mission because your grappling hook hit the wrong pixel and left you stuck frustratingly to the top of a control tower rather than inside it.

It's difficult for the wrong reasons. Too random to be satisfying. And the driving is properly shit, especially for a game that forces you to do quite a lot of it. And the physics are laughable for a big-ticket release. And the graphics are almost retro.

Plays and looks more like a budget indie job than a major entry in a big triple-A franchise.