Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Prey: Mooncrash DLC and main game updates

Started by Blue Jam, June 11, 2018, 03:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Sorry yeah I was talking about Dishonoured and Dishonoured 2, don't even think it's possible to stealth and pacifist run in Prey is it?

I'm looking forward to killing everyone in Prey. I have no idea how you're meant to kill Sho!

Yeah MGSV seemed like 'kill stealth' to me, I need to do another run of that, its another game that gives you so many options!

But fuck its fun just going round stabbing every shitbag you want. Can't wait til I get my powers after a whole playthrough of no powers.

I wonder if you can get the no needles achievement if you do a New Game+ on Prey but with all your mods?

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2020, 04:11:16 PM
Holy shit these games are piss easy when you kill everything.

Yeah I'm loving it. Revelling in the atmosphere, and smashing anything that moves with my trusty wrench. Also some things that don't move, just in case.

Most satisfying kill - gloo gun to freeze one of those big fuckers that looks like the predator, then recycle it into spare parts using that grenade thing. Textbook.

Zetetic

I don't think that the Dishonored games are really meant to be "stealth games" in the way that seems to emphasise a certain kind of powerlessness - the only thing that makes the protagonists interesting (other than in Death of the Outsider) is that you've got a bunch of abilities to play with that reduce the difficulty as much as you like.

Thought Cold Meat Platter's post was interesting was showing that you had to rebuild the game a fair bit if you want to make it more Thief-y; the ability to play them without powers is really neat, but it's not enough to make the gameplay fit terribly well.

Thank you Blue Jam, in particular,  for your enthusiasm for Prey. I bounced off it the first time I played it[nb]through a combination of being faintly irritated by very minor aspects of the early lore you come across, being a massive coward when it comes to feeling powerless around black skittering things, and working myself into a corner by trying too hard to ignore the main 'quests'[/nb] and thanks to you I've given it another go in the last week and I'm very glad that I did.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2020, 04:27:41 PM
Sorry yeah I was talking about Dishonoured and Dishonoured 2, don't even think it's possible to stealth and pacifist run in Prey is it?

I'm looking forward to killing everyone in Prey. I have no idea how you're meant to kill Sho!

There's a bit where you need to
Spoiler alert
kill a Phantom to advance the plot
[close]
, so no, as Untitled Goose might say, peace was never an option.

As for Sho,
Spoiler alert
you don't need to kill her to get the achievement
[close]
. I once tried finding her via her tracking bracelet and I think the computer marks her as missing or No Life Signs or something.

Mister Six

She just
Spoiler alert
dies of lack of oxygen, doesn't she? Her missus is dead and the station is fucked, so she just floats off to die.
[close]
I think...

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 10, 2020, 05:26:44 PM
Most satisfying kill - gloo gun to freeze one of those big fuckers that looks like the predator, then recycle it into spare parts using that grenade thing. Textbook.

Handy hint: Don't waste your Recycler Charges... I used them like grenades in my first playthrough until I realised what a waste this was, and also that if you kill a Phantom any other way you can still search the body for tasty treats, instead of recycling any Neuromods etc they're carrying.

Attacking a
Spoiler alert
Nightmare
[close]
until its health bar is almost nothing then finishing it off by making the final blow with the wrench is also very satisfying.

Using Psychoshock on the Telepaths and Technopaths is great fun too-it turns the tables and they start running (well, floating) away from you.

Machine Mind on the
Spoiler alert
Military Operators
[close]
and Phantom Genesis on corpses will also let you sit back and let them do the work for you.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Zetetic on April 10, 2020, 05:34:33 PM
Thank you Blue Jam, in particular,  for your enthusiasm for Prey. I bounced off it the first time I played it[nb]through a combination of being faintly irritated by very minor aspects of the early lore you come across, being a massive coward when it comes to feeling powerless around black skittering things, and working myself into a corner by trying too hard to ignore the main 'quests'[/nb] and thanks to you I've given it another go in the last week and I'm very glad that I did.

Cheers! I'm just glad people are enjoying it and posting about it- Arkane deserve more recognition and I could happily talk about this game all day.

Ferris

I'll waste my recycler charges however I want!!

(Thanks for the tip though...)

It's nice that my instinctive urge to PICK UP EVERYTHING in video games is being rewarded via the recycling machine. Such a neat mechanic.

Blue Jam

Been for a
Spoiler alert
spacewalk
[close]
yet? I honestly think the controls and movement
Spoiler alert
in zero gravity
[close]
may be the most satisfying I have experienced in any game ever.

Mister Six

Finding
Spoiler alert
the stranded space shuttle
[close]
was such a treat. Fuck me, what an absolutely astounding game.

bgmnts

I only just realised Arkane develeoped Arx Fatalis on the xbox almost 20 years ago. Holy shit.

bgmnts

Quote from: Zetetic on April 10, 2020, 05:34:33 PM
I don't think that the Dishonored games are really meant to be "stealth games" in the way that seems to emphasise a certain kind of powerlessness - the only thing that makes the protagonists interesting (other than in Death of the Outsider) is that you've got a bunch of abilities to play with that reduce the difficulty as much as you like.

I suppose. Although I'd say Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid give you enough of an arsenal not to feel helpless much, you could possibly go in guns blazing if you like, and they are considered stealth games no?

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2020, 06:54:07 PM
I only just realised Arkane develeoped Arx Fatalis on the xbox almost 20 years ago. Holy shit.

Ahhhh, you've found the
Spoiler alert
Fatal Fortress character sheets
[close]
then?

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 10, 2020, 08:30:36 PM
Ahhhh, you've found the
Spoiler alert
Fatal Fortress character sheets
[close]
then?

Ha no I did that stuff on my first run when the game came out, I just didn't make the connection because I hadn't played Fatalis in 15 years since then! I was just googling Arkane to see what they have in the pipeline and found that out, mad stuff.

Oh god going to do a No Needles run first, thats going to be a ballache. No fucking about just main questline. Thankfully i've been conditioned by nightmare mode so should be piss easy but I want to try Typhon!

Blue Jam

TRY THE FUCKING TYPHON MODS. Someone like you who prefers to not just shoot everything should love them. On my current Nightmare New Game +, Chock Full o' Neuromods run I'm barely using any ammo, just loading up on Sci and doing sneaky stuff, and it's great fun. Maybe do a Typhon-only run next.

Today I remembered I own a Transtar mug:

Not the official one with the shiny shiny gold, but I do love the addition of the Post-It note. Of course, in that section of the game
Spoiler alert
at least one of the "NOT A MIMIC" Post-It notes is a Mimic
[close]

bgmnts

Going through No Needles first then going to let loose with Typhon next run. Then give Mooncrash a good go.

No Needles is fucking tense by the way. Limited inventory, shit stamina, shit weapon power, no upgrades, nothing. Just wits and scrounging.

It's almost a survival horror game now. Imagine having weapon degredation and trauma on as well. 'kin 'ell.

That's a great bit of Prey tat! I want it.

Blue Jam

Done No Needles, it's brutal alright. So many things you have to find new ways around, it really forces you to get creative.

Mug can be got from here:

https://www.redbubble.com/i/mug/Prey-Transtar-Mug-Not-A-Mimic-by-otrixx/44798717.9Q0AD

In Mooncrash Peter (the player character) has a little toy Mimic and a little toy Operator in his living quarters. They are dead cute and I want them. You'll see... Might have to make my own out of Fimo.

bgmnts

Cheers much! Def purchase nect week.

I'm balls deep in a Prey no needles run and a Dishonoured 2 High Chaos Emily run.

Hog's heaven!

The Crumb

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2020, 06:56:50 PM
I suppose. Although I'd say Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid give you enough of an arsenal not to feel helpless much, you could possibly go in guns blazing if you like, and they are considered stealth games no?

Definitely in the Splinter Cell games you are pretty stuffed if you get in open combat - you can kill everyone but you need to be methodical about it. Despite his stealth agility, yer man sam moves around like an overburdened duck while aiming, and the combat controls very much favour slowly lining up headshots rather than mowing down groups.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Crumb on April 11, 2020, 06:45:24 PM
Definitely in the Splinter Cell games you are pretty stuffed if you get in open combat - you can kill everyone but you need to be methodical about it. Despite his stealth agility, yer man sam moves around like an overburdened duck while aiming, and the combat controls very much favour slowly lining up headshots rather than mowing down groups.

Indeed; in fact I think from Chaos Theory onwards you could actually choose a specific 'assault' loadout, to fuck shit up.

bgmnts

Just finished No Needles, at least 50% of that run was running back and forth to the Recycler and, amazingly, I still had no organic material to fabricate medkits. The literal last sprint to the escape pod I had 23 health and 0 medkits, arse clenched to fuck.

Going to give Mooncrash another go now, see if I like it more.

Blue Jam

Early in this run I recycled most of the stuff in the Lobby and either recycled all the dead bodies or turned them into Phantoms. Got to the Arboretum the other day and went back to the Lobby after fixing the lift. All my senseless pissing about actually seems to have made a difference- there was a Weaver but no hostile Phantoms prowling about, and only one Greater Mimic.

Getting quite attached to my friendly Phantoms. It's a bit sad to see them fighting the hostile Phantoms and Mimics on your behalf and then returning to an area and finding them KIA. Are Brave Phantoms.

Just recycled everything in the Trauma Centre- that's pretty straightforward as you can chuck everything into that little operating theatre before throwing in a few Recycler Charges. You get lots of mineral material to turn into ammo, although you do also end up wondering what the fuck you're doing with your life.

bgmnts

That's hardcore recycling.

Binned Mooncrash again, just not into it.

Next up is Typhon only run which seems like it'll be just as hard as No Needles but I wont need as many weapons? I don't know how effrctive Typhon powers are so I may just not fight anything.

Blue Jam

Typhon Only is a lot harder than Human Only but easier than No Needles. It's also a lot of fun- if you enjoyed the powers in Dishonored this should be right up your alley. Playing as Human Only makes it more like an FPS, Typhon Only requires a bit more lateral thinking and new approaches to the combat in particular.

Typhon Only also forces you to try new approaches- you can't use turrets at all but there are Typhon powers that make short work of them, and if you're overpowered and outnumbered you can still summon help in other ways. If you can't hack a door you may be able to find some other way into a room...

You will need less ammo but will be hammering the Psi Hypos, so it's the Exotic Material you'll be after rather than Mineral (and you can't use Necropsy to get it). Get to know your friendly neighbourhood Science Operator too.

Go on, play it on Nightmare.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 14, 2020, 12:24:19 PM
Typhon Only is a lot harder than Human Only but easier than No Needles. It's also a lot of fun- if you enjoyed the powers in Dishonored this should be right up your alley.

Typhon Only also forces you to try new approaches-you can't use turrets at all but there are Typhon powers that make short work of them, and if you're overpowered and outnumbered you can still summon help in other ways. If you can't hack a door perhaps you can still mimic a small item and roll through a gap somewhere, or you can use Remote Manipulation to grab a keycard through a window...

You will need less ammo but will be hammering the Psi Hypos, so it's the Exotic Material you'll be after rather than Mineral. Get to know your friendly neighbourhood Science Operator too.

Go on, play it on Nightmare.

Cheers for the tips but fuck Nightmare mode!

Blue Jam

The only big difference I've noticed with Nightmare difficulty is that you can't one-shot Mimics with the wrench, and that adds a bit of peril and makes it more of a challenge to get around the station unharmed. Alternatively you can make sure they have nowhere to hide if you just recycle every object in the room ;)

bgmnts

Yeah I got through it easy enough but I very much need my guns, repair and hacking. Powers is new territory!

I need to take a Prey break anyway so need this page to remember how to play when I get back to it.

Blue Jam

Actually, there is one way you can use turrets on a Typhon-only run... see if you can figure it out ;)

bgmnts

Holy shit that base kinetic blast does 165 damage!?

One weid bugbear is that I keep getting this glitch where if I try and autoplay a newly pickd up transcribe it almost always plays a Calvino transcribe or the Hunter Hale transcribe. Very weird.

Also crouching into small spaces is fussy as fuck sometimes.

Blue Jam

Kinetic Blast and Psychoshock are your new best friends. Superthermal is pretty evil too.

Mindjack is very handy if you're going for the Kill All Humans achievement. Also try it on a Telepath or a Technopath and you'll find the battle gets very interesting and fun.

Make sure you have some fun with Mimic Matter too- max that out so you can mimic bigger things, and then you can
Spoiler alert
mimic an operator and fly about the gaff. I don't know if you can mimic a Military Operator and use the laser as well but I intend to find out
[close]

Still just enjoying my leisurely fourth run and trying to install every single Neuromod and get godlike. Only just entered the crew quarters. Been mainly using the Typhon powers and have barely touched things like the Nullwave and the Disruptor Stun Gun. Been collecting all the Typhon material I can get my hands on and recycling it into Psi Hypos though. This strategy may cause me problems by the endgame.