Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Prey: Mooncrash DLC and main game updates

Started by Blue Jam, June 11, 2018, 03:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

remedial_gash

Right, everyone is unlocked and 4/5 story missions done I think, still thinking about how to approach a 5 person escape in one run - though I suppose I could afford a ton of egg timers.

Does anyone happen to know that if you become typhon-esque in the main game then the bad guys ignore you - like here. Had a very boring human build in my one and only playthrough of the main game, might try an opposite run if that's the case.

Still playing Blue Jam?

bgmnts

I'm going to buy this on Friday. IT BETTER BE GOOD.

Blue Jam

^^^ YAAAAAAAY

Quote from: remedial_gash on July 07, 2018, 02:39:33 PM
Right, everyone is unlocked and 4/5 story missions done I think, still thinking about how to approach a 5 person escape in one run - though I suppose I could afford a ton of egg timers.

Does anyone happen to know that if you become typhon-esque in the main game then the bad guys ignore you - like here.

Still playing Blue Jam?

Had a bit of a break, but yes! Still enjoying it...

I think the best approach is to get neuromodded-up and get yourself OP- there's a trophy for installing all the neuromods for every character and I think that's a hint. Also shoot lots of things so you can get loads of XP and buy a fuckton of egg timers. As with the base game, it looks like you start off weak and can end up ridiculously badass, to the point where you can see off enemies easily or just run past them. It's harder to collect weapon upgrades here, the best strategy seems to be recycling the crap weapons and stashing the good ones in the Mule Operator.

In Mooncrash, I didn't like playing as the Security Officer at first as he forces you to play the game more like a conventional FPS, he starts off pretty weak and he has no Typhon powers apart from Combat Focus, but with a few upgrades he's become much more powerful and I've remembered that the fully upgraded Combat Focus and shotgun make you practically invincible. The Volunteer is also more fun once you install all of his Typhon powers.

As for the problem of installing too many Typhon neuromods, in the main game I think this makes the Nightmare appear more often, not less- the Typhon never ignore you, but the Stealth upgrades help. In Mooncrash the Typhon gates and the turrets will start to recognise you as Typhon, but this is less of a problem as the turrets aren't much use at later stages of Mooncrash and they're as flimsy as ever- plus there are other ways around the Typhon gates... I also haven't noticed the Typhon ignoring me in Mooncrash... in the DLC I think the best approach is to install all the human powers and then start installing Typhon powers when you're powerful to not have to rely on turrets, and when you have one of the things that get you through the Typhon gates without having to first clear the area of Typhon.

I think Mooncrash throws more things at you the more Kasma objectives you complete- there seems to be a new thing every time you get called back to the satellite. I don't seem to be getting the crater dust storms anymore (thank fuck- the reduced visibility was just a pain in the arse tbh) but just when I thought the Moonshark had replaced the Nightmare I suddenly found I had to fight both- and this time the Nightmare doesn't piss off after three minutes (though it does still make a noise like an angry Chihuahua). Oh yes, and I've got the thing that speeds up the clock, aaarrrggghh.

Unlocked all of the characters but I've only done a couple of the stories- I'm guessing you've still got the Volunteer's to go. I suspect that one may be the dry run for the big shot at beating the game, what with you having to play as two other characters first. I think I've figured out the order, then again this game keeps surprising me- I got most of the way through the Custodian's story only to find myself up shit creek without the Hacking ability, nrrrrrggghhh. The Director's story was the best, if only for alerting me to the presence of a big fuck-off superweapon which annihilates every Typhon in the crater.

Blue Jam

Has anyone found all six of the Starbender Cycle books yet? I've got five but I want the set, someone at Arkane clearly had a lot of fun writing those and it's good to see them back. Normally I hate collectibles but that's how they're done.

remedial_gash

No, done the volunteer's story - though I thought I was going mad when it started as chaos level four. Properly shit me up. Think it's only yu's story that I have failed to do - got really close then buggered it up - nice to see that Nightmare appears in mooncrash later - the prick.

remedial_gash

Sorry also want to add how wonderful it is that that the game becomes more of a horror - when think you've won. ha!

surreal

Bought Prey in the Steam Sale - only just started playing but I like it so far, I was getting very strong Half Life 1 vibes from the start which is no bad thing for me.  Not got very far yet but I'm starting to realise that I need to collect EVERYTHING and read a lot more stuff.  This is not your average mindless FPS is it?  I'm just bothered I'm going to end up missing some important upgrade and get my ass kicked on a regular basis.

It's made me miss the days of physical copies where I could at least sit down and read through the manual - seems to be a lot going on and it's tricky to keep everything in my head.  Maybe I'm just getting old.

Blue Jam

Quote from: surreal on July 13, 2018, 02:02:29 PM
I'm starting to realise that I need to collect EVERYTHING and read a lot more stuff.  This is not your average mindless FPS is it?

Nope- you can play it like an FPS but it will be harder and much less fun. This game is more about conserving your resources and trying a few different approaches to each obstacle or enemy. Often fighting an enemy just leads to you wasting ammo, only to meet a bigger, badder enemy round the corner and find that you're absolutely fucked. It's often better to just run away and conserve ammo, be stealthy, or get creative with the environment- as well as those explosive canisters you can get the Leverage upgrades and then off your enemies just by throwing large items of furniture at them.

On my first playthrough, the bit where I got into Deep Storage, only for Alex to put the station on lockdown and trap me in there with no medkits and almost fuck-all ammo, and with a fucking Telepath and a Phantom trying to kill me was an absolute fucker. It's not an easy game by any means but it's an immensely satisfying one.

It's also about exploring and discovering all the bits of lore- and you'll find that it's an impressively rich and detailed world Arkane have put together here.

If you like Deus Ex you'll probably like this.

remedial_gash

"On my first playthrough, the bit where I got into Deep Storage" yep don't want to spoil it for anyone, re-arranging the decks springs to mind. Bastard that was and no warning. Wish I could play it again without prior knowledge.

surreal

Ok, you're scaring me now... I'm having enough trouble with those big teleporting bastards...

Blue Jam

Phantoms are bastards, especially those teleporting ones. In Mooncrash they bring backup- teleporting Mimics...

I know the Phantoms aren't considered The Big Bad of the game, but I find them the toughest enemy. Telepaths may be big but they're slow, and they don't show up in threes...

When you get enough neuromods, try the Phantom Genesis ability- it's a lot of fun. I like Machine Mind too- I once used it to get two Operators to laser a Nightmare to death.

surreal

It's this kind of thing where I get stuck on these kind of games, I'm wondering if I'm missed anything meaning I don't get many neuromods or miss the ability to make them or something.  Just heading into the Psychotronics section and almost out of ammo...

Blue Jam

You'll be fine if you keep exploring and you note where the nearest recycler and fabricator are. There are multiples of weapons, chipsets etc, and towards the end of the game you'll have neuromods coming out your ears. The only thing I had trouble with was finding enough mineral material, but you can always heap up a load of metal objects in a confined space and lob a recycler charge at them (the Trauma Centre in the lobby is good for that).

I'd recommend going for the Missing Persons achievement at some point. That one's good because corpses can be looted, but also because it takes you to some locations you might otherwise miss. Nothing essential, but it's fun to find you can actually get through a ceiling and sneak around up there.

surreal

Ah cool, that makes me feel a bit better!!  i think i might start a fresh game now that I'm a bit more used to how to play it.

Blue Jam

No need for that really, it's very open-world and (for the most part) you can go back and explore all you want.

surreal

To be honest I'd looked at the recycler charges but not thought of using them - bad habit from things like Skyrim of hoarding stuff but never actually using it properly.  Always holds me back in games like this - shoot first, use cool stuff later

Blue Jam

Prey is great for pissing about like this:

https://youtu.be/RkjRTUZyu3I

Recycling stuff also leaves fewer things for Mimics to mimic, and fewer dead bodies to be turned into Phantoms- yes, you can be a sick bastard and recycle dead bodies. On my first playthrough I kept using the recycler charges as a weapon until I realised what a massive waste this was.

Have you got the crappy NERF gun "Huntress Boltcaster" yet? That one is much more useful than it looks, hint hint.

This video is a tiny bit spoilery- fun with the Mimic ability:

https://youtu.be/HJaWO9rL-ms

surreal

I did have the boltcaster but after I found out it was a nerf gun I might have... recycled it.  Oh well, can always make another.

bgmnts

Literally just started this and I am not going to lie I fucking hate this mimic enemy. Just a shit design. Really really shit.

biggytitbo

Replaying this before tackling moon crash. Playing ad the lady Morgan (she moans when she takes damage which I don't remember the man version doing?) and and have decided to ashes alien neuromods which whilst fun I seem to recall do cause you some 'problems' later on. Going to try level up hacking and repair to get through inaccesible areas and keep the drones on my side.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 17, 2018, 03:32:58 PM
Prey is great for pissing about like this:

https://youtu.be/RkjRTUZyu3I

Recycling stuff also leaves fewer things for Mimics to mimic, and fewer dead bodies to be turned into Phantoms- yes, you can be a sick bastard and recycle dead bodies. On my first playthrough I kept using the recycler charges as a weapon until I realised what a massive waste this was.

Have you got the crappy NERF gun "Huntress Boltcaster" yet? That one is much more useful than it looks, hint hint.

This video is a tiny bit spoilery- fun with the Mimic ability:

https://youtu.be/HJaWO9rL-ms

Ha brilliant. Didn't realise you could recycle dead bodies either, will have to try that. Just got started on moon crash now, not sure I'm entirely sold on the replay mechanic yet though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 30, 2018, 09:33:40 PMDidn't realise you could recycle dead bodies either, will have to try that.

If you're not careful you can also recycle yourself (and you get an achievement for it).

Have you figured out the one way you can die before even leaving Morgan's apartment building before the opening  credits? You get an achievement for that too...

Mister Six

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 30, 2018, 10:48:18 PM
If you're not careful you can also recycle yourself (and you get an achievement for it).

Have you figured out the one way you can die before even leaving Morgan's apartment building before the opening  credits? You get an achievement for that too...

Does it involve the oven? I was going to figure out if I could blow myself up but got distracted saving the world.

biggytitbo

I died jumping into the helicopter blades but can't think how you'd die in the apartment..

bgmnts

This is okay, need to play more. Feel like Bioshock and Dishonoured had a baby a bit. Still think the enemy designs suck cock though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 31, 2018, 06:32:19 AM
I died jumping into the helicopter blades but can't think how you'd die in the apartment..

That's the one! I don't think you can die in the apartment itself (at least not before the credits- you can return to the apartment later in the game proper) but you can die on the roof.

biggytitbo

On my second play I did discover Morgan has a real apartment thats exactly the same as the mock up save for a few minor differences, which was fun. It also dawned on me why none of the mirrors work in the game. Even after two full playthroughs there's still probably a major chunk of the game I haven't seen, whether its areas I couldn't get past or side quests I didn't do, or neuromods I didn't use, so it definitely has the longevity single player games are often criticised for not having these days.

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 31, 2018, 11:48:41 AM
On my second play I did discover Morgan has a real apartment thats exactly the same as the mock up save for a few minor differences, which was fun.

Did you get into Alex's apartment? That one's amusing- he's got an email telling him he can't skive off the mandatory gym sessions just because he's the CEO, and he's been given a treadmill but because he's a lazy fat cunt he just uses it to store boxes. There is also a single sock by his bed...

I have to say that this game has possibly the best tutorial I have seen- not only does it do a good job of not feeling like a tutorial, it feels like part of the story and everything in it is of significance later, when you think "aaaahhhhh! So that's what they expected me to do...". Also you get an achievement for going back and completing the tests "properly".

QuoteIt also dawned on me why none of the mirrors work in the game.

Care to expand on that? I thought that was a bit odd given that you can see your arms at the start of the game (male Morgan's are a bit beefier) and you can see your shadow in detail. I always assumed the mirrors didn't "work" because that would have been too hard, even in a game as detailed as this.

I think I know what you're getting at though- have you played SOMA (of course you have, you have the same excellent taste in games as me)? The mirror reveal in that is a bit unnerving, though the big twist is less of a surprise if you've played Prey first.

QuoteEven after two full playthroughs there's still probably a major chunk of the game I haven't seen, whether its areas I couldn't get past or side quests I didn't do, or neuromods I didn't use, so it definitely has the longevity single player games are often criticised for not having these days.

Arkane are all about the self-imposed handicaps and here they make the game a very different beast. It's a real challenge to find you can't hack a door and have to find an alternative way in- and it's not like Deus Ex where you can just find an air vent which is there for no apparent reason. Again, I'd recommend doing the "Missing Persons" side quest because I found some places I wouldn't have visited before, even on my third playthrough.

biggytitbo

I think I got Alex's keycard but forgot to go back to the crew quarters. I never managed to get into kitchens either, or kill the thing in the swimming pool. I did get to the wave and beams lab this time, and the directors office, which I didn't get to first time.

I do wonder how I ever finished this game first go through, when I didn't understand some basic gameplay elements until a second playthrough (e.g. I didn't realise you could recycle anything in your inventory, I only used the auto transfer of loose items).

bgmnts