Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,483
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Robin Williams - Come Inside My Mind

Started by kalowski, June 11, 2018, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Apologies if I missed a previous thread. I'm very interested in this.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/caIFNg_JRL4

From Chortle

QuoteThe documentary promises never-before-seen footage and interviews with Billy Crystal, Eric Idle, Whoopi Goldberg, David Letterman, his Mork & Mindy co-star Pam Dawber and others

The tone is set by a comment from Steve Martin who said: 'He was really comfortable on stage, offstage I felt he was holding himself together.'

I can't find a release date for the uk. 16th July on HBO - I assume that's stateside only.

RedRevolver

Fuck's sake. I got distracted by the rude joke and it took several reads to climb down from the fact that this was not, in fact, a documentary about Robbie Williams where it turns out he can tell a rude joke or something.

Might give it a watch, fanx 4 the reccy!

kalowski

This was on Sky Atlantic on Sunday. I watched it last night. I really enjoyed it. They had loads of outtakes from Mork and Mindy as well as some from his movies. Picked exactly the right moment from Good Will Hunting. Plenty of interviews with people who knew him and well chosen interviews with Robin Williams himself. Some great home movie clips too, and film of Williams and Steve Martin in Waiting for Godot.

My wife, who's not a fan of his stand up, thought it was "alright" - what struck me was that segments of his stand up don't work well on their own, out of context. You need the full Williams' performance to get drawn in.
The friendship between Williams and Billy Crystal, and Williams and Bobcat Goldthwaite was clear to see, and the film had plenty of moments where my eyes became a little damp, I will admit.

EOLAN

Quote from: kalowski on August 02, 2018, 08:22:04 AM

My wife, who's not a fan of his stand up, thought it was "alright" - what struck me was that segments of his stand up don't work well on their own, out of context.

Probably out of the context of the original performer who they were taken from. Actually, my wife watched a small bit with me and got right annoyed with me when I was making joke thievery jibes.

Aside from that; he was certainly a strong manic and very fast paced performer. Could see why he wouldn't necessarily have a written down set and a lot of his comedy is in the moment and feeling the energy. I must admit, given his comedic/public persona; I wasn't overly surprised that there was an unfortunate dark side to his personality. A reasonably good documentary.

As an aside; as someone who feels like defending Eric Idle on the Comedy Comebacks/Monty Python threads, I did give an exhale of "Oh for Fuck sake", when his tribute song to Robin was played over the end credits.

A bit like Ken Dodd in the sense that he has to keep talking because when he stops, there's a void of deep loneliness there.

Replies From View

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 02, 2018, 03:27:24 PM
A bit like Ken Dodd in the sense that he has to keep talking because when he stops, there's a void of deep loneliness there.

That applies to all dead people though really.

Maurice Yeatman

Robin Williams being particularly funny on Clive Anderson's show... and is this a 29-year-old Paul Sinha in the audience 15 minutes in, or am I embarrassingly race-insensitive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4yJAF0WDdk#t=15m13s

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Robin Williams'  stand up career was the world's longest cocaine hangover, he never topped " Mork and Mindy" ( although he *did* top himself, orbviously ), he made loads of crap films, and myself and Paul Heaton got really pissed off with people telling us we looked like him.

studpuppet

Shaky

As much as his shtick could get annoying (I seem to recall Stephen Fry of all people making a few digs at him during a Parky interview), Williams always came across as a remarkably down-to-earth, lovely guy.

the science eel

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 02, 2018, 03:27:24 PM

I don't get that from Dodd at all. He always seemed pretty laid-back and sweet-natured in interviews.

kalowski

Quote from: studpuppet on October 18, 2018, 07:38:30 AM
The bar has already been set high for films on Robin Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZGGD__8B8E
This could be the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Lots of "back of the head" shots!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on October 18, 2018, 03:02:44 AM
Robin Williams being particularly funny on Clive Anderson's show... and is this a 29-year-old Paul Sinha in the audience 15 minutes in, or am I embarrassingly race-insensitive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4yJAF0WDdk#t=15m13s

Christ Clive Anderson is such a horrible obsequious little turd

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 20, 2018, 11:30:29 PM
Christ Clive Anderson is such a horrible obsequious little turd

Ameliorated his glabrousness with zhuzh and we're all secretly jealous.