Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Started by Fishfinger, June 12, 2018, 02:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenzilHolles

Ah, maybe i'll try this newish From Software VR game that i've had downloaded for ages - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-10-from-softwares-charming-psvr-adventure-deracine-gets-a-november-release-date.

Looks fun. Less gutting people with samurai swords.

( sorry, bit off topic)

Swoz_MK

I can comfortably get to penultimate phase of LAST BOSS, and can get him to about half health/posture before I get into a panic flap. So close, but it can actually piss off now, its doing me no good UPSTAIRS

DenzilHolles

I'm pretty much the same - managed Demon of Hatred but that last one is a bit much. I'm sure I'll keep popping on and having ago, and excpect to do it within 20-30 years. Though unlike any of the other From Software games, I've no burning desire to go into NG+ and do it all again like i did with the others. I do think it ranks up there with the best, though.

Swoz_MK

Took me 1hr a night for close to a month but I finally got the "Return" ending.
NOW, Do I start NG+ and tear about all superpowered or just wait til DLC and not do FromSoft DLC on NG+3 like I normally have to?

Thursday

I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed in the game or myself, but I too haven't been able to do the final boss. I go back every few weeks, but then I'm not really match fit, so it's not the best way of doing it.

Making you do the first phase again is the stupidest decision Miyazaki has ever made in his life, and anytime he feels unhappy in life, it will be deserved because of it.

Also having tried the encounter so many times now... I feel like it's just not that good.

Hank Venture

Cunt of a game. Honestly they've taken everything I loved in Dark Souls and turned it on its head: pretty meh enemy variation, boring setting, no weapons or gear customization. Worst of all — it's just one viable playstyle, you sort of have to boringly pick off each mob because if you're crowded you're dead, and you have to learn deflection to perfection. Stealth games are always boring. Anyways, I've just killed some ogre prick (actually I did that yesterday out of my mind on pills, but I forgot about it, so had to start a new game). Killed a general too by cheesing him and kiting him around. Fell down into a cave with some time-slowing mist or something.

When does Elden Ring come out?

Dewt

Excited to refund this is an about 30 minutes from now when I prove my laptop can't handle it.

Dewt

wasp_f15ting

I cant do the owl father..

I can't believe I got this far, and got flummoxed by him :(

Still one of my fave games of all time.

DiClassomo

Circle around behind him when he does the firecracker to horizontal slash, then Ichimonji his back. Ditto for the somersault to downward slash, and the charged downward slash (don't dodge too early with this one).

Hank Venture

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on April 22, 2020, 01:05:06 PM
I cant do the owl father..

I can't believe I got this far, and got flummoxed by him :(

Still one of my fave games of all time.

Stuck at the same guy. Decided to proceed into the dream world or whatever it is called. Some sort of paradise world with loads of weird floating blue guys.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: DiClassomo on May 13, 2020, 10:37:00 AM
Circle around behind him when he does the firecracker to horizontal slash, then Ichimonji his back. Ditto for the somersault to downward slash, and the charged downward slash (don't dodge too early with this one).

Finally killed him this Friday...

None of the YT techniques worked :P
I think they patched him in a later update, what did work was just running right into his twatting face block, and then mortal blade him several times. Now.. Sword Saint Ishin :/

druss

I know I am years late to this but only picked this up recently. I've killed every boss legitimately on new game + and on final boss of ng++.

I say every boss legit, I am discounting Demon of Hatred. Felt like a bullshit boss and found a way to get him to jump off a cliff so have done that every time.

The Owl fights gave me by far the most trouble, particularly the second one. Fucking love the final boss, so much fun. One time on NG+ I got him in the 4th phase maybe 1 or 2 hits away from the deathblow and I panicked and picked two bad times to heal. Took me another half hour to finally down him but didn't care.

I hope they make a sequel but put as much thought into the lore and characters as they do in the Souls games. This doesn't really feel like a From game in that respect, makes me wonder how much Miyazaki was actually involved. Owl had less depth than a Bond villain and the Shura ending seemed like it was from a completely different game, Wolf hadn't been unkind or inauspicious until about 5 minutes before fighting Isshin and it didn't make sense. That being said, fighting Emma felt like a sadder fight than Sif, felt horrific getting the trophy for that one.

8/10 overall, easily the best and most satisfying combat they've ever done, bosses were amazing but let down by most of the rest of the game (apart from Fountainhead).

druss

Also if anyone who posted in this thread when it initially came out still reads this, how much easier did the patch make the final boss? Still found him nails but always had fun doing so. Was it just one shotting everyone before the patch? What exactly did the patch change?

madhair60

Took me about four distinct attempts to get into this and finally learn to plant my fucking feet but I did it. I need to get back to the game.

Dickie_Anders

I disagree with the criticism of the story, I really like how the game slowly builds up to the
Spoiler alert
bizarre immortality-centipedes.
[close]
I also like how the levels hint at a kind of ecology in relation to this. I still think Dark Souls 1 is their peak in terms of marrying themes and gameplay and story, but Sekiro isn't that far behind

I also think a lot of the level design is peak FromSoftware, the grappling hook let them play so much more with 3D space, so disagree that it's only the bosses that are good (though the bosses are definitely the best part)

druss

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on August 05, 2022, 10:19:11 PMI disagree with the criticism of the story, I really like how the game slowly builds up to the
Spoiler alert
bizarre immortality-centipedes.
[close]
I also like how the levels hint at a kind of ecology in relation to this. I still think Dark Souls 1 is their peak in terms of marrying themes and gameplay and story, but Sekiro isn't that far behind

I also think a lot of the level design is peak FromSoftware, the grappling hook let them play so much more with 3D space, so disagree that it's only the bosses that are good (though the bosses are definitely the best part)
The level design was good overall, I just didn't really care for some of the environments. Mibu village was good, fountainhead I've mentioned. On the one hand I like what they did with the revisits to Ashina castle as it felt intense towards the end, however I'd rather have had a new area, particularly with how great Fountainhead was. The Ashina stuff also felt quite small scale compared to Fountainhead. The story wasn't bad per se, certainly better than Dark Souls 3, but I didn't find it as interesting as DeS, Ds1, Ds2, Bloodborne or Elden Ring. Isshin was the most interesting npc to me which is probably why the last boss in almost certainly my favourite boss in any From game. Emma was also great, to the extent where I'd never feel comfortable repeating that boss fight.

Maybe 8/10 was too harsh, 8.5 maybe as the good stuff was pretty phenomenal. Just felt quite samey up until mibu village/fountainhead.

Thursday

Quote from: druss on August 05, 2022, 09:32:35 PMAlso if anyone who posted in this thread when it initially came out still reads this, how much easier did the patch make the final boss? Still found him nails but always had fun doing so. Was it just one shotting everyone before the patch? What exactly did the patch change?

I did a replay a little while ago and still found it absurdly tough and got fed up.

It just feels broken to me, I'm constantly getting hit when I'm I'm doing the appropriate block or counter, or it feels like his moves are too fast when parred with the games input lag. I'd keep looking back at gameplay and look at wolf not holding his sword to block even though I'm absolutely convinced I was holding L1 as soon as I'd see certain moves being primed.

I mean deep down I know it's probably just that I'm too slow and have bad timing. I thought it might be a framerate thing, but my replay was on PC and for most my playthrough I was finding the game a bit easier, but not here. So I'm probably just sulking because I'm salty, but it still feels seriously off to me.

There's definitely instances of this in other bosses, but it'd be by far the worse here.

Also I never got the 2nd Owl encounter, even though both times I played it I'm convinced I followed the wiki correctly.

Dickie_Anders

For the first few hours I definitely felt like there was something "off" with the game. I couldn't seem to understand or get the timing right for the deflections. It's grotesquely harsh for the new player, I definitely felt like giving up, but then you get into the "rhythm" of it. I replayed it recently, barely remembering any of the patterns for the bosses, but the reactions just came naturally