Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Started by Fishfinger, June 12, 2018, 02:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

Finally killed the General, just past the Chained Ogre - for some reason that prick just gave me a lot of trouble. But now he's dead. As is the cunt riding his horse. Just ran into the Bull - the fireworks offer a bit of help but having a lot of trouble avoiding his attacks other than that. Haven't gone back to Lady Butterfly yet - might try that tomorrow if the Bull continues to kick my arse.

Already annoyed that I have the next few weekends completely booked up. I just want to stay home and play this thing. Stupid social life and job.

Timothy

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 25, 2019, 08:47:50 AM
Finally killed the General, just past the Chained Ogre - for some reason that prick just gave me a lot of trouble. But now he's dead. As is the cunt riding his horse. Just ran into the Bull - the fireworks offer a bit of help but having a lot of trouble avoiding his attacks other than that. Haven't gone back to Lady Butterfly yet - might try that tomorrow if the Bull continues to kick my arse.

Already annoyed that I have the next few weekends completely booked up. I just want to stay home and play this thing. Stupid social life and job.

The best thing to do with the bull is to sprint, get behind hem and attack.

TrenterPercenter

Blummin eck that bull is really difficult even with the aforementioned tactics!

Just killed him on a revive with again a tiny bit of life - that mechanic (the death thing) leads to some serious palpitations.

Really good stuff.

Thursday

I just didn't lock on to the bull and sprinted around him, which is a mad strategy because of the camera/your turning circle at that speed, but it seemed to work.

Just killed LB after literally five hours. Turns out I'm shit at this game, or rather I was until I shredded her without using a single gourd. Didn't even chip her down especially, just parried everything really well and overwhelmed her posture. Makes for a really interesting dynamic, actually. Seems you can pretty much beast anything if you're good enough at deflecting. I won't get too much of a stiffy though because BB still awaits.

Timothy

Just defeated LB. Damn that was intense. Took me three hours. Amazing. That second phase was insane.

BB down.ogre down. Horsey down. Now to defeat Genoshiro

Thursday

Spent ages tonight bashing my head against a mini boss Ashina Spears (I think we can just name these minor bosses) that's not even supposed to be that tough. In all honestly I'm really not a fan of how you basically have to clear out a whole camp round these guys before taking them on, it's makes them harder than proper bosses because of the run up.

But I finally did it, I was just neglecting something in my moveset, and that seems to be the key to quite a few minibosses, they have a fairly obvious blindspot that you're probably neglecting.

brat-sampson

Up to the top of the castle now... Shit. Haven't gone back to Drunko or LB yet, so might try that next. This part is...rough. The parry checks are definitely ramping up.

Moribunderast

LB is a right cunt. I can get her into second phase very easily by just parrying everything and then I can parry most things during the 2nd phase and can easily avoid the ghosts she summons but I just keep eating it on the white orbs or whatever that hone in on you - I've tried hiding behind the pillars and tried running away from it and neither seems to work. I feel like I'm doing the fight 95% right but banging my head against the wall on that one thing.

How do people feel about the dragonrot? I think it's pretty harsh - just because it closes off side quests when a person has the dragonrot, yet the ability to cure dragonrot is very rare and seems kinda pointless because it'll just come back when you reach the next boss and die constantly.

Still enjoying the game and I do feel like I'm getting very slowly better at it but she's a harsh mistress.

Moribunderast

Timothy

LB tip: Run away as far as you can from the white butterflies. The moment they start flying run for it. To the other side of the room. They cant keep up.

About dragonrot: Worst idea in the game.A game should reward you for going on and persisting. Dragonrot kills any reward you get. Bad idea poorly executed

Edit: Great!

Moribunderast

Just did some exploring after defeating BB. The world has really opened up - almost dauntingly so. Some huge areas and I've found quite a lot of hidden shit which compels me to try and search every nook and cranny, despite being terrified of what foul beast may be lurking behind every corner. Was feeling good having dispatched LB and BB in one sitting but have now found another two mini-bosses that have thoroughly ransacked that newfound confidence.

I do take Thursday's point about the mini-bosses that are surrounded by smaller foes - that can be annoying when you just want to rush through and retry the boss battle but have to first spend 5 minutes thinning the herd beforehand.

I'm loathe to venture many places elsewhere online for fear of gameplay spoilers but I'm wondering how far people have gotten in this? I assume some adept players have already finished the thing. I've found it interesting that the few places I have looked, people seem to be about where I am, maybe a little bit further. Progress seems slow. I have no idea how big or long this game will end up being. I'm about 16 hours in and have only fought two "actual" bosses. God help me if there's as many of those as there are in a regular Dark Souls game.

Timothy

So. Yeah. My fucking game just crashed after a huge chunk of the Valley. Defeated a mini boss with no save in sight. So beware that you can lose progress in an instant.

brat-sampson

I've reached the pinnacle of the Ashina castle and a boss that's there, found one entirely separate place, another pretty separate but connected that I barely touched before returning and haven't wiped out everything in the actual region, so there are likely some other things to be found. Steam says 11 hours. Not sure what counts as a Real Boss, but I've only got one Memory and I think 7 Prayer Beads. 5 flask swigs though and a number of tools/upgrades.

Game seems huge, but then most From games tend to be so I wouldn't be willing to say if it seems bigger just yet. In Bloodborne terms I feel like I'm maybe around Bloodstarved Beast/Vicar Ameila levels? But I have literally zero evidence for that.

Thursday

On Sunday I reached a boss that's a major plot point... I even suddenly got worried that it could be right at the end, although looking at my game time, I thought, surely not. There's a couple of areas I discovered that I suspect might be optional, but it could also be that I just discovered them on my own, but the game might nudge me in that direction later. Either way, I thought I'd mop up all these other areas before taking on that big plot boss.

It's tough really, I keep wanting to read other people's experiences, and make sure I don't miss content, but also stay as in the dark as possible.

Thursday

LB is #cancelled.

Didn't even bother using snap seeds, although going back quite a bit later certainly helped as more heals and being levelled up as minimally as you can be certainly made it a lot easier.

Also found the axe very useful against her.

Moribunderast

Long session today - did a lot of exploring but not really sure where I'm "supposed" to go next. Have ventured to a few different areas (The Valley, Senpou and the Gun Fort) and I feel like I've done everything there but am yet to find the throughway to the next "actual" boss that will open up the next main area. Have killed quite a few sub-bosses in those areas, though I'm still getting my arse kicked by Ashina Spears and SES in the Gun Fort. That fucker hits HARD - I've got three prayer necklaces and two hits can still take all my health, meanwhile my hits and deflections take away virtually nothing of his posture or health. I will enjoy finally dispatching that fucker.

Had a REALLY satisfying moment in Senpou when facing a heavily armoured enemy - got him to his second health bar but the impact of my deathblow sent him screaming off the side of the building/hall we were on. Very unexpected and made me laugh a lot.

Anyone who's further along than me, feel free to point me in the vague direction of where the next main boss may lay. I'm thinking I've missed an avenue around the castle or dungeon, maybe.

Timothy

How do spoiler tags work here? I can give a clue.

samadriel

Use the tag [color = transparent], followed at the end by [/color], but without the spaces in the first tag

Timothy

Thanks! I always used the color white but it's visible on my mobile.

Moribunderast:

In the castle area, somewhere near a sub boss you will find the person that can make you continue your journey.... if you manage to beat him.

I'm stuck. I can't beat the boss I'm talking about above and it's the only way to continue. The journey was fun while it lasted.

You guys are shit at spoilers, basically. If you only remove words which you think will be spoilers, there's absolutely zero context for what it is you're talking about.

Start your post with re: BB, for example or re: Hirata. Acronyms or initials or words which have no inherent meaning. Then people can know whether or not they can read your post.

"I'm having real trouble with.          just after the.             but before you get the.        " is the worst of all worlds.

Soz.

Timothy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 27, 2019, 07:24:36 AM
You guys are shit at spoilers, basically. If you only remove words which you think will be spoilers, there's absolutely zero context for what it is you're talking about.

Start your post with re: BB, for example or re: Hirata. Acronyms or initials or words which have no inherent meaning. Then people can know whether or not they can read your post.

I started that first spoiler warning with the words in the Castle area. The last sentence and spoilers are more to be read for people who finished or almost finished the game since it's a multiple area kind of spoiler.

The word Hirata in itself is a spoiler imo and BB can have multiple meanings in this game.

brat-sampson

If you're not sure if you're done with the castle... then you're not done with the castle. Focus on your actual goal.

Moribunderast

Re: Boston Crab - don't be a dick. We're just trying to be respectful re: spoilers as you asked.

More sub-bosses down - still apparently need to do more wandering around the castle but I think I have an idea of the only place I haven't thoroughly explored. Have yet to hit a complete brick wall with the difficulty - the SES brothers were annoying but I finally fucked them both off. The mini-bosses I still can't dispatch are AS in the Reservoir and the magic fucker in the Dungeon.

Not a spoiler as such but sensible advice that any Dark Souls player would know: it pays to go back and chat to NPCs regularly. I found out I'd yet to uncover some important things for longer than I probably should have.

EDIT: Ahyup - found the boss I was looking for. Oh dear. Think that's a good point to call it a night and try again tomorrow.

Man, there are no games that compel me to play, play, play like these From games. Normally I'll get bored after 30-60 mins of playing any game in one sitting but these games just fucking grab me and implore me to keep going. I don't know what it is about them that is so addictive - I guess the exploration is constantly rewarding and fascinating, coupled with the "one more try" aspect of the harder battles. They're just brilliant.

Swoz_MK

Had no real problems with anyone else in this game, although took me about 30mins to do Horsey, but can I do LB? Can I balls. I've got her to phase 2 a grand total of twice in maybe 30 attempts.  UGGGHHH.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Swoz_MK on March 27, 2019, 11:34:10 AM
Had no real problems with anyone else in this game, although took me about 30mins to do Horsey, but can I do LB? Can I balls. I've got her to phase 2 a grand total of twice in maybe 30 attempts.  UGGGHHH.

Some hints for LB: First phase should be all about parrying, except when she gets airborne - then wait for the right moment (just after she opens up a bit) and throw a shiruken, which will make her splat, giving you a window to get some hits in. But you can mostly just parry her attacks constantly (I know the timing can be hard) and wear down her posture. Phase 2 is more of the same but this time be ready to sprint around the area the moment she summons helpers and butterflies. Don't get sucked in to fighting her or the summons while they're there - just avoid until she praises you and then run away from the butterflies before resuming the fight. LB seemed insurmountable for a while to me but once you get the parry-timing it comes together quite well. The butterflies were fucky for a while, though. I'd also say don't try to be "too" perfect with deflections - the window they give is quite generous if you happen to go a bit too early.

Swoz_MK

Lovely stuff, thank you! Tonight's the night.

brat-sampson

Fucked LB rotten. 2nd phase on the first attempt, Ded on the second. For the record, I went in with 6 snap-seeds, 4 health vials, two prayer bead necklaces (extra vit/post), 1 memory (extra attack), and upgraded shurikens (not sure if this made a difference), so it would've been a fair bit harder earlier in the game. Plus I'm further into the game, so have had more combat practice.

Tips for LB: Stay close. Get a rhythm down for your attacks, parrys and dodges. Just playing Swing Swing. Dodge. Swing Swing Swing Dodge. was enough to basically decimate her first form. She jumps up, I throw a shuriken. All dodges are towards her either her left or right side. Stay close and be relentless. Mashing attacks will kill you and this game is as close to Crypt of the Necrodancer as it is to Dark Souls. The fights literally have a rhythm. 2nd phase the seeds helped, but the rest was the same. I was lucky not to see her Orb attack too often, but again, the more on top of her you can stay, the more likely you are to interrupt her spells or keep her on the back foot.

You can do it Swoz!

Anyway, now that's done I can go back to getting smashed in the face elsewhere.

Swoz_MK

HGGGNNN amazing stuff, thank you both. I have a good feeling, down in my PLUMS.