Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: TNG is a comedy

Started by Twed, June 12, 2018, 04:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLrcYb02MV0

Look at this camp testicle monster trying to fight a robot.

I don't know how funny most of TNG was supposed to be, but it really is. Just watch the crew stomping around being serious. They are hilarious comic characters.

Twed

The characters taken outside of the show are automatically funny. It's difficult to take the bridge crew and put them in a situation or picture or thought and for it not to be comedy,

I love this. Look at how badly they understand perspective. Troi is in front of Worf, and yet 1/3 the size of him. That's hilarious of her, or Worf. Look at how incredibly depressed Riker is.

KennyMonster

Is it a Situation Comedy though?

What's the situation that makes it funny?

Perhaps it's some kind of utopian vision of the future where no one needs to make money (because they have replicator machines that can produce anything) so mankind naturally evolves into in a society where everybody automatically works for what appears to be a version of the american military and they go around 'spreading democracy' to the middle east to whichever planet they come across and they see themselves as superior and the they automatically have the right to tell their new subjects the correct way to behave.

Star Trek? Shit for Cunts more like.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: KennyMonster on June 12, 2018, 05:59:17 AM
Perhaps it's some kind of utopian vision of the future where no one needs to make money (because they have replicator machines that can produce anything) so mankind naturally evolves into in a society where everybody automatically works for what appears to be a version of the american military and they go around 'spreading democracy' to the middle east to whichever planet they come across and they see themselves as superior and the they automatically have the right to tell their new subjects the correct way to behave.

Star Trek? Shit for Cunts more like.

Prime directive mate. Pretty fundamental aspect of starfleet. Not allowed to interfere with the natural development of other civilisations. Bet you feel silly now.

Replies From View

Kelvin

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 12, 2018, 06:31:05 AM
Prime directive mate. Pretty fundamental aspect of starfleet. Not allowed to interfere with the natural development of other civilisations. Bet you feel silly now.

I was going to say this, too. One of the main principles of Star Trek is not intervening, or at least debating the morality of doing so. TOS and TNG are definitely not enthusiastically interventionist. 

KennyMonster

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 12, 2018, 06:31:05 AM

Yeah and pretty much ignored when the plot wanted it, which was very often.

Plus the accent of that Geordie one was way off, the actor hardly even bothered to try sometimes.

Ornlu

There's a ridiculously high number of reaction shots and memes that use Patrick Stewart in his Trek uniform, I'll give you that.

I've never even seen an episode but can tell it's pure, undiluted camp.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: KennyMonster on June 12, 2018, 11:11:58 AM
Yeah and pretty much ignored when the plot wanted it, which was very often.

Is that true, though? It certainly gets violated from time to time (usually in the interest of saving an uncontacted planet from an environmental disaster or something similar) but I can't remember an incident that wasn't accompanied by a lot of high-minded moral handwringing about the implications. I don't think it's a principal the show ever took lightly, and I'd certainly say that the philosophy of the show was always strongly anti-imperial.

monolith

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 12, 2018, 12:54:02 PM
Is that true, though? It certainly gets violated from time to time (usually in the interest of saving an uncontacted planet from an environmental disaster or something similar) but I can't remember an incident that wasn't accompanied by a lot of high-minded moral handwringing about the implications. I don't think it's a principal the show ever took lightly, and I'd certainly say that the philosophy of the show was always strongly anti-imperial.
+1

Steven

Quote from: Phil_A on June 12, 2018, 07:14:36 AM
The youtube edit of that scene is a classic:

https://youtu.be/O2zPyJ7uHdE

Isn't the Klingon the bloke from the Westworld series?

I found much of TNG amusing, Q in particular was a pisser.

Worf is not amused.

sevendaughters

whilst it had some campy moments ripe for decontextual lols, i always rated TNG for its slightly distant and austere take on space exploration featuring a largely dispassionate crew of diplomatic space whigs working in a fulfilling technoharmony, trying to hammer on some slightly more profound notes than its televisual contemporaries and occasionally succeeding. just forget most of the holodeck episodes.

Twed

Yeah, it was good. It always had a lot to say, even passively by the lack of economic forces driving their endeavors, for instance.

Phil_A

Quote from: Ornlu on June 12, 2018, 12:47:13 PM
There's a ridiculously high number of reaction shots and memes that use Patrick Stewart in his Trek uniform, I'll give you that.

I've never even seen an episode but can tell it's pure, undiluted camp.

Camp?? How dare you, I'll have you know William Riker is the manliest man ever to don a Lycra jumpsuit.

See, all man.

Malcy

Ornlu

Quote from: Malcy on June 12, 2018, 06:17:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNKyoRudOQ

Yeah, this clip makes up about 40% of my knowledge of Picard's Star Trek. What do you mean it's not all in song?

Cloud

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 12, 2018, 06:33:34 AM

I loved the episode of Star Trek: TNG where they all had an itchy anus!

Lemming

It's a comedy because of Riker. He's a complete dickhead, utterly useless, possesses no skills, contributes nothing to meetings/briefings, everyone on the crew seems to hate him, all his interactions with other people are either creepy or needlessly hostile, he acts like a jealous pathetic 10 year old whenever Troi is involved in anything, and his incessant arse-kissing of Picard is downright hilarious.

The only explanation that makes sense as to why this bearded fuckface is even on the ship in the first place is because he's a personal mate of Picard, or someone high up in Starfleet. He's an idiot and shouldn't be anywhere near a Galaxy-class starship, let alone the flagship.

My favourite Riker moment is in the episode where Picard, Guinan, Ro and Keiko get turned into kids in a grand transporter fuckup. Riker is put in command, and within 20 fucking minutes, he's lost the ship to three badly-armed Ferengi. He's lost the flagship. To three people. Three Ferengi. He's lost the Enterprise. There's bonus comedy in that, as they're taking over the ship, his contribution as acting Captain of the Enterprise during a hostile takeover is to ineffectually scream "SHIELDS! RED ALERT! SHIELDS!" at Worf - which, funnily enough, is also all he ever does as First Officer - as if Worf hadn't already put the shields up and as if we weren't already in a red alert situation - everyone on the crew knew they were in for a red alert level disaster the instant William "Useless Shit-for-Brains" T. Riker took command.

samadriel

Quote from: Lemming on June 12, 2018, 11:53:22 PMRiker is put in command, and within 20 fucking minutes, he's lost the ship to three badly-armed Ferengi. He's lost the flagship. To three people. Three Ferengi. He's lost the Enterprise.
Riker, you've lost the Enterprise! What are you going to say?  Look like you mean it! Look down at the ground and say sorry.

Blumf

If you realise that Riker has severe daddy issues, it all beings to make sense.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Icarus_Factor_%28episode%29

thenoise

My brother used to take ST:TNG very seriously indeed, so much so that he used to ban me from the sitting room whenever a new episode was on, because I used to giggle and say things about pasties on foreheads etc.  Could it have been a comedy all along, and actually I'm the clever one spotting this?  He also used to watch Bananaman seriously, when he was much younger, although to be fair so did I.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 12, 2018, 11:24:49 PM
I loved the episode of Star Trek: TNG where they all had an itchy anus!

TNG Episode 2x14: The Itchyanus Factor

They thought they were going to go into a worm hole, but they all got worms in their bum holes instead.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thenoise on June 13, 2018, 03:02:53 PM
He also used to watch Bananaman seriously, when he was much younger, although to be fair so did I.

As well you should have.  Bananaman is a very serious drama.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lemming on June 12, 2018, 11:53:22 PM
It's a comedy because of Riker. He's a complete dickhead, utterly useless, possesses no skills, contributes nothing to meetings/briefings, everyone on the crew seems to hate him, all his interactions with other people are either creepy or needlessly hostile, he acts like a jealous pathetic 10 year old whenever Troi is involved in anything, and his incessant arse-kissing of Picard is downright hilarious.

The only explanation that makes sense as to why this bearded fuckface is even on the ship in the first place is because he's a personal mate of Picard, or someone high up in Starfleet. He's an idiot and shouldn't be anywhere near a Galaxy-class starship, let alone the flagship.

My favourite Riker moment is in the episode where Picard, Guinan, Ro and Keiko get turned into kids in a grand transporter fuckup. Riker is put in command, and within 20 fucking minutes, he's lost the ship to three badly-armed Ferengi. He's lost the flagship. To three people. Three Ferengi. He's lost the Enterprise. There's bonus comedy in that, as they're taking over the ship, his contribution as acting Captain of the Enterprise during a hostile takeover is to ineffectually scream "SHIELDS! RED ALERT! SHIELDS!" at Worf - which, funnily enough, is also all he ever does as First Officer - as if Worf hadn't already put the shields up and as if we weren't already in a red alert situation - everyone on the crew knew they were in for a red alert level disaster the instant William "Useless Shit-for-Brains" T. Riker took command.

Sebastian Cobb

I think the funniest moments all involve Reg 'creepy Reg' Barclay.

Like that time he got caught having a holodeck simulation where Troi was his maiden and Riker was his gimpy little servant.

Or the time Picard called him 'Broccoli'.

thenoise

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 13, 2018, 05:53:31 PM
I think the funniest moments all involve Reg 'creepy Reg' Barclay.

Like that time he got caught having a holodeck simulation where Troi was his maiden and Riker was his gimpy little servant.

Or the time Picard called him 'Broccoli'.

Data: Why is Lieutenant Barclay being referred to clandestinely as a vegetable?

One of the biggest laughs of the show, brilliantly deadpan.

Malcy

Broccoli is a classic. Laughed hard at that.

Picard's "It's for the children" is brilliant as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKwAS1qaCk

Cloud

If you want creepy (or a bit of cringe comedy), you only have to look as far as that episode where Geordi creates a holodeck simulation of his "internet" crush (the nearest thing they had to internet in 80s/90s Trek) based on a vague idea of who he thinks she is, and has a little romance with said hologram.  And then by sheer coincidence the real one is flown in to help him with some project, has a completely different personality to his headcanon and for top cringe (partly because he's like "huh, your hair's different today darling", finds out that he's been shagging her holo-likeness.