Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scanning slides

Started by Cuntbeaks, June 12, 2018, 01:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

I have a massive repository of slides from back in my SLR days and would really to get them digitised and catalogued. As far as I'm  aware the Nikon Coolscan scanners are the best option for this.

There are quite a few models of these and some of them still command £1k plus on Egay. I think i would also need some level of automation as scanning one slide at a time would be a nightmare.

Does anyone have any experience of these scanners or any recommendations for a specific model?

Shit Good Nose

No experience at all, but, given that this would presumably be a one-time job, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just give them all to a photographic company that does it?  There's quite a few of them around.

Or is it all dodgy grot?

Ignatius_S

For most people, I would recommend that – as Mr Nose says – use a photo company.

Film scanners have come down in price a lot – in fact, I was on a photo workshop the other weekend and this was mentioned. Consequently, it's lot more affordable to do it yourself – however, it will be time that you will never get back. When I've discussed it with people, it's the time cost that swung them away from getting a scanner.

My experience with them is pretty limited – I've reviewed a number (and think I did a group test) but that was a *fair* time ago. Even using the 'best' could be a frustrating experience.

If you are looking at (old) second-hand, if you haven't already, research OS compatibility – that can be an issue getting units to work. However,  it terms of quality, I think you'd be best to using a professional service.

Cuntbeaks

It's mostly gape and prolapse shots. Mostly.

The idea of getting a company to do it sounds great, but I expect it would cost a fucking fortune. I must have at least 1,000 slides.

Doing it myself means i could vet them as i went and only scanned the best ones. But yeah, it would take forever.

Will price out a few companies and see what the script it though. Cheers.