Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

November (2017)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 14, 2018, 02:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I heard about this due to the DukeDeMondo posting on Facebook, it's your standard girl falls in love with a guy but he likes someone else romantic drama except that it's set in Estonia in the 1800s where ghosts turn in to human sized chickens, the devil is on hand to disturb, the plague arrives in the shape of a woman who can transform in to animals, and other bizarre supernatural craziness is going on. Beautifully shot in black and white with an enchanting script, it's truly quite unique and a rare example of a film you won't want to end, I could have happily spent another couple of hours in this unusual world. 8.7/10

Steven

Watched it three or four times in the last week.

The opening few minutes is one of the creepiest things I've seen in a while.

Six words: weird sentient skull scythe wheel thing.

DukeDeMondo

I will be very, very surprised (delighted, like, too) if a better film than this is released between now and the year Next. I thought it was absolutely incredible. A gorgeous big hotching old intoxicating miscellany of things enchanting and absurd and wild and otherworldly and ridiculous and hypnotic and rare. A bit of The Decameron here, Company Of Wolves there. Heart Of Glass. Wisconsin Death Trip. Bergman and Cocteau and a dose of the folky, wyrd old sort of black metal it is that weirdos in the way of your Drudkhs or Panopticons or whoever might pull out of themselves after times spent in windowless cabins in the middle of nowhere with things all bubbling and boiling in hollowed out skulls in.

Adored it. Loved it up the stairs and down. Funny and intricate and smelly and tactile and... Och for Jesus sake. Dung for a fleet, an all. Bewitched dung. Sentient dung. Kratts and dung for miles and miles.

I haven't read the novel it's based on - I don't even know if it's been translated into English - but I really want to.

A miracle of a thing.

Ron Superior

Ah man, thanks for recommending this, I watched it last night and it was incredible! I love them Kratts! The soundtrack was incredible too. I've been looking to see if it's available but can't find anything.

Things like this is why I love this forum.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, and I hope it encourages others to watch it as it really is all a bit special.

Ron Superior

It really is. Have you seen his adaptation of The Idiot? I remember hearing about it, might have actually been on this forum, around when it was released in 2011, but can't find a way to watch it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 01, 2018, 07:07:34 PM
It really is. Have you seen his adaptation of The Idiot? I remember hearing about it, might have actually been on this forum, around when it was released in 2011, but can't find a way to watch it.

Unfortunately not, and right after I saw November I tried searching for it but can't find it anywhere, not even Amazon or ebay - the closest I got was on Cinemageddon but annoyingly it's unseeded.

Edit: Ignore all that, by searching for "Idioot" I've found it on the pirate bay, it's a slow download right now but 4 people are seeding it at least. Just have to hope it comes with english subtitles now, or that I can find some for it.

Ron Superior

Ah cool, let me know what you think. I can't get on torrent sites at home and I don't work where I used to be able to get on most of the download sites.

rjd2

Just watched this on the US version of Amazon prime. This was something to say the least. Gorgeous, bu bloody hell will have to think about this for a while!

Mister Six

Saw a trailer for this last year and totally failed to watch it because I'm an idiot. Happy to discover it's on Amazon Prime - will have to give it a watch.

Have to say, that was a beautiful film; sombre relaxing and creepy in equal merit. Perfect autumnal viewing, it's a little bit criminal that this didn't get more recognition on it's release, hadn't even heard of it outside of this forum.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 24, 2019, 04:54:20 PM
Have to say, that was a beautiful film; sombre relaxing and creepy in equal merit. Perfect autumnal viewing, it's a little bit criminal that this didn't get more recognition on it's release, hadn't even heard of it outside of this forum.

Yeah, if it wasn't for Duke DeMondo of this parish posting about it on Facebook I'd never have heard of it, and it's a film I fucking love to pieces.

Funnily enough I was going to bump this thread as one of my Chinese students has chosen the name "Kratt", and at the beginning of the lesson always shouts "I am Kratt!" over and over again in such a way that I find it genuinely disturbing!

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 24, 2019, 05:34:54 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't for Duke DeMondo of this parish posting about it on Facebook I'd never have heard of it, and it's a film I fucking love to pieces.

Funnily enough I was going to bump this thread as one of my Chinese students has chosen the name "Kratt", and at the beginning of the lesson always shouts "I am Kratt!" over and over again in such a way that I find it genuinely disturbing!

Hahaha that's wonderful...if the Chinese Lad isn't actually a goat skull intricately tied to a bunch of branches and wheels then i dont wanna know

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 25, 2019, 08:29:55 PM
Hahaha that's wonderful...if the Chinese Lad isn't actually a goat skull intricately tied to a bunch of branches and wheels then i dont wanna know

Sadly he's not, but I like to pretend he's just wearing a flesh suit and it's not his real body.

jobotic

I asked some film buff mates if they'd seen this after reading this thread and then forgot all about it.

Got a message last night saying "great recommendation" so decided I'd have a look. Only watched the first 25 minutes as knackered but even that is brilliant. Can't wait to watch it properly. And get a kratt.

jobotic

Watched the rest last night. Brilliant, and as is said here the soundtrack is wonderful.

The mannerisms of the Baron will stick with me, and the skin tone of the Venetian lovers.

I went in the garden for a fag after I'd finished it and everything seemed still and slow-motion. Back to normal now though.