Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:26:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dirty DenDead. DirtyDenDead. DirtyDen DEAD

Started by Paul Calf, June 15, 2018, 12:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: non capisco on June 16, 2018, 12:50:01 AM
I can't help but think some of that rant was aimed at me and my criticisms of Leslie Grantham and my response would be "yeah, but at least I didn't murder someone".

It wasn't really, I didn't even properly read your post before posting that. I'm a bit pissed (very pissed) so I think I may have phrased it all a bit shitely. But everything in my original post still stands, albeit with the words a bit different. Cheers.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 16, 2018, 12:44:33 AM
Here you go, now you can masturbate to it all over again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_Rn8x9Wy0

Textbook Children In Need uncomfortable weird shit going on there.  Dead pauses, missed cues and general fumbling unfamiliarity.

As for Grantham, it is odd that he killed a man during a robbery and then became a rich 80s celebrity.  But there hasn't been a rip in this thread.  Didn't he use 'my sweet' sarcastically in a Xmas East Enders on the train or something?  In that case, Goodnight My Sweet Prince.

Fat Jesus

Quote from: manticore on June 16, 2018, 12:40:12 AM
I'm confused because some time in the late 80s  I thought someone told me he was accused of putting his hand down a girl's swimming costume in a pool. There's no mention of this online so can someone tell me who that actually was please. I'm sure it was someone like Grantham, of a similar calibre.

You're thinking of Peter Adamson, who played Len Fairclough in Coronation Street.

I'm glad to see people here haven't forgotten Leslie Grantham's history, though. The amount of people who excused him with "Yeah, but he served his time" has always irked me. 10 years is nothing for murder.

manticore

Quote from: Fat Jesus on June 16, 2018, 01:20:00 AM
You're thinking of Peter Adamson, who played Len Fairclough in Coronation Street.

Ah thank you. Never heard of him, but then I've never watched Corrie. Weird how one gets people mixed up.

BlodwynPig

He fucking aged in the last 14 years...probably the cancer...or the guilt.

Nowhere Man

QuoteShane Richie, who played Alfie Moon, said Grantham had "had his demons" but had nonetheless been "a natural charmer".

He said through gritted teeth.

QuoteRicky Norwood - "Fatboy" on the show - hoped he would "rest in peace".

Fucking hell I forgot they had a character named Fatboy. Desolation.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 16, 2018, 04:29:04 AM
He said through gritted teeth.

Fucking hell I forgot they had a character named Fatboy. Desolation.

In days of yore, Erkan Mustafa would have been a shoe-in for that role...

Not seen it for a bit.  Is Letitia Dean still a hottie, and have they still got that girl with the leather jacket and punk hair-do?

I was browsing PlayStation Plus and I saw that one of this month's offers is a Leslie Grantham skin for your Battlefield 1 character. It's supposed to be a tribute but it seems pretty tasteless, if you ask me.

jobotic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 16, 2018, 12:29:07 AM
He was in that ITV Cluedo show, wasn't he? That's still the subject of my favourite letter in Viz. It ended something like 'surely the answer will be the same every week; it was Leslie Grantham in the back of the cab with the revolver'.

There was also one about him doing a soap or shower gel advert, which I can't find, which ended "it doesn't matter how many times you wash them, you'll never get the blood off your hands".

Last night Eastenders had a brief "dedicated to Leslie Grantham" screen during the end credits. The last scene of the programme was about a paedo sting. Bit harsh.

Epic Bisto

RIP you literal wanker. I will forever remember your appearance as 'John' in that Bulgarian TV show.

Such a shame. The Gerogerigegege have started making music again and they needed someone to replace Gero 30 as onstage masturbator. Oh Leslie, this could've been your Blackstar moment.

machotrouts

I'm okay with Leslie Grantham murdering a man and spending 10 years in prison for it and becoming a celebrity actor, I'm okay with that. I even remember finding it downright heartening first time I heard; aww, against all odds, dreams do come true!!! Never give up :) xxx <3

But I'm not sure I'm okay that I'm okay with it? Does it really stand up to scrutiny? Serious criminals who've served their time should be able to go back to somewhat normal lives, but I don't know that becoming a major entertainment figure really falls in that remit. He presumably wouldn't be allowed to contact German Taxi Driver's family, so why should he be allowed to beam his face onto their TVs, when they're watching, I don't know, EastEnders with German subtitles? Okay, maybe murdering a German really is a mitigating factor in this case. Perhaps you can murder people wherever you like, just don't expect to become a nationally acclaimed soapstar in those specific places.

I'm trying to think if I'd be a hypocrite about this. Would I be upset if someone went and murdered someone close to me then 10 years later was having a snarl on the telly? No, probably not, but then I'm not planning to get through the next 10 years without murdering everyone close to me anyway so that's a bad example. Are there specific murders that SHOULD disqualify you from becoming a soapstar superstar? Like, how would I feel if the fellers who homophobically beat Matthew Lush to death – and I realise now that Matthew Lush is a different gay entirely but I can't remember who I'm thinking of so I'm not correcting it – went on to fuck all of S Club 7 for charity? Would that just be fine if they'd been in prison for ages first? But in that case, the underlying motivations for the murder are what bother me more than the murder itself, so that's not a fair comparison either. Are there crimes that SHOULD disqualify people from soaps? Like, what if dead ol' Granthy had raped a German Taxi Driver? Would we be cancelling him now? "Just hearing Leslie Grantham raped a German Taxi Driver... he's cancelled trash to me now. Joanne the Scammer GIF"

Maybe the best way to deal with this is to say, yeah, it's okay that he did EastEnders, but we should probably have drawn the line at Fort Boyard.

EASTENDERS: Dark. Gritty. Guns and that. Fine that an actual murderer be on it.
FORT BOYARD: I mean, tigers and that, but not really, like?

Epic Bisto

Quote from: machotrouts on June 16, 2018, 08:50:03 AM
Like, what if dead ol' Granthy had raped a German Taxi Driver? Would we be cancelling him now?
He would've invented bantz. To be fair, that fateful night was just a laddish jape anyway.

biggytitbo

He looks happy enough in his autopsy photo:

Epic Bisto

They didn't say what he died of. Did his heart give out while trying to catch some Smurfs?

Shaky

Quote from: Epic Bisto on June 16, 2018, 09:16:46 AM
They didn't say what he died of. Did his heart give out while trying to catch some Smurfs?

They did say "short illness" and mentioned the fact he came back to the UK for treatment mere days before he died. My guess is the Big C but it's really anyone's game at this stage.

I laughed way too long at some young wag writing "Deceased Enders" on Facebook today.

DrGreggles

BlodwynPig

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: manticore on June 16, 2018, 01:50:05 AM
Ah thank you. Never heard of him, but then I've never watched Corrie. Weird how one gets people mixed up.

You've really missed out on being able to go round school going 'thumbs up for Lenny Fairclough'.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Epic Bisto on June 16, 2018, 08:35:55 AM

From that S Club 7 video:

Someone must have told him the old finger in the mouth look was very sexy once. Someone who presumably hated him with a passion.

Bobtoo

Quote from: machotrouts on June 16, 2018, 08:50:03 AM
Maybe the best way to deal with this is to say, yeah, it's okay that he did EastEnders, but we should probably have drawn the line at Fort Boyard.

EASTENDERS: Dark. Gritty. Guns and that. Fine that an actual murderer be on it.
FORT BOYARD: I mean, tigers and that, but not really, like?

I find it hard to see how anybody involved thought it was ok to have him as a regular on Cluedo.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bobtoo on June 16, 2018, 12:34:04 PM
I find it hard to see how anybody involved thought it was ok to have him as a regular on Cluedo.

Expert knowledge wasn't it. They also had Jim Gordon and Claudine Longet on the show.

Isnt Anything

Yup. The first celebrity noncing that i can ever remember coming to light.

(i was going to add 'alleged - he was found not guilty in court' until i remembered that hes dead so it doesnt legally matter, but perhaps it should be said anyway)

I think it was Jasper Carrott who made a joke that had the punchline 'still, thumbs-up, eh, Len ?'.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: manticore on June 16, 2018, 12:40:12 AM
I'm confused because some time in the late 80s  I thought someone told me he was accused of putting his hand down a girl's swimming costume in a pool. There's no mention of this online so can someone tell me who that actually was please. I'm sure it was someone like Grantham, of a similar calibre.

A Coronation Street actor stood trial for this.

I thought the story was he was a British soldier and he shot the taxi driver for going through a checkpoint.

Paradise Club was alright, at least the 1 episode I watched.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I'm glad to see people here haven't forgotten Leslie Grantham's history, though. The amount of people who excused him with "Yeah, but he served his time" has always irked me. 10 years is nothing for murder.

It should be 200 years for murder and 100 years for Tommy Robinson.

Funcrusher

Mark Steels Stockbroker

What about all the celebrity gangsters and ex-cons, and what about Shaun Ryder, how many lives has he ruined eh? EH????

Glebe